Cruising in May

jgreens2

My friends and I are thinking of taking a cruise in late May as our graduation vacation. I have been on 7 cruises during the months of june, july and August but I was wondering if a cruise in May will be the same? I understand that their will be less kids, which is not always a bad thing, but will there be no young people at all? Is there still a prominent 20-30 crowd even if the cruise is in May?

By late May' date=' there should be more college-aged kids out of school. Schools on a quarter system will still be in session and I would imagine the majority of those students will not take vacations then as finals are coming out.[/quote']

That's what I'm hoping! We all graduate on the 14th. We're thinking of doing the NCL Jewel on May 22nd cruise to FL and the Bahamas. I've been looking up prices. so far they haven't seemed too bad! I don't mean to sound mean.. but I just didn't want this cruise to be one of those only older crowd type of vacations, where all they do is play music from the 60s. Do you think there will still be stuff to do for a younger crowd even in may? Do you still think there will be people in the night club late and stuff?

My friends have never been on a cruise... and I'm like the cruise veteran so I have a lot of prior cruise memories and i don't want to be disappointing with this one! My friends won't really know the difference.

We are taking our son on a cruise in May for his college graduation present also - he graduates on the 15th and we'll be leaving on either the 22nd or 23rd. Haven't decided which one yet, probably either the Carnival Valor or the Carnival Dream. I'm hoping for more college age kids and fewer elementary age... :)

He'll be talking his friends into going as well - I'm sure you will have a great time! And Congratulations on your graduation!

That's what I'm hoping! We all graduate on the 14th. We're thinking of doing the NCL Jewel on May 22nd cruise to FL and the Bahamas. I've been looking up prices. so far they haven't seemed too bad! I don't mean to sound mean.. but I just didn't want this cruise to be one of those only older crowd type of vacations, where all they do is play music from the 60s. Do you think there will still be stuff to do for a younger crowd even in may? Do you still think there will be people in the night club late and stuff?

My friends have never been on a cruise... and I'm like the cruise veteran so I have a lot of prior cruise memories and i don't want to be disappointing with this one! My friends won't really know the difference.

May and September are heavy months for the older crowd because in June, students are out of school. . . . . and in September they go back. Some ships cater to the younger crowd -- particularly Carnival. Most school age children will still be in school. . . . but there are the under 5 group that could be on board. So, the question may be. . . . do you prefer the over 50 or under 5 passengers:confused:

We are taking our son on a cruise in May for his college graduation present also - he graduates on the 15th and we'll be leaving on either the 22nd or 23rd. Haven't decided which one yet, probably either the Carnival Valor or the Carnival Dream. I'm hoping for more college age kids and fewer elementary age... :)

He'll be talking his friends into going as well - I'm sure you will have a great time! And Congratulations on your graduation!

O thanks! Congrats to your son as well! At least if there is no other college age kids me and my friends will have fun anyway! hopefully your son can convince some of his friends to go. -Take care.

I've done both of my cruises in May. The Carnival trip had a ton of college/20s passengers and the RCI trip had a fairly good amount too.

I like cruising in May because it is a little cheaper since it isn't family vacation time. You still get great weather (not too hot and humid) and you are cruising outside of hurricane season.

I'll just say that late May (including Memorial Day) is really the beginning of the "graduation, family vacation, honeymoon" cruising season. Many public schools get out in mid-May (ours do), so families with kids (depending on the itinerary) often cruise then, to take advantage of lower fares. So....you might see families with kids. Cruise-veteran old fogies like myself often avoid this time because of the HS and College graduates. (No offense, but...similar to the HS and College infamous Spring Break cruises.). But, many don't, so you might see a lot of them, as well, because of lower prices. You might also have to mingle with HS graduates, and some Honeymoon couples. So....you could see a lot of everything! Have a great cruise!

Archived