New Costa Deliziosa

tracytraveller

Is it worth taking its inaugural sail? The prices seem to be very "tasty" right now.

Only you can say is it worth it!

But on the other hand how often does one get to sail on an inaugural cruise, the other thing the Deliziosa will be named in Dubai. If I had the time I certainly would do this cruise, maybe once in a lifetime chance.

Here is the infomation about naming ceremony:

How delicious is this? At a press conference to be held at World Travel Market in London later today, Costa Cruises will announce that their newest ship, Costa Deliziosa, will be named at a ceremony in Dubai on February 23.

The naming ceremony will take place during the ship's inaugural cruise which leaves Savona, in Italy, on February 5. Deliziosa will be in Dubai from February 23 to 26 and passengers on the first leg of the maiden cruise will be able to attend the christening ceremony.

Ron

costa isn't the best. there are many better 'luxury' lines. costa is a mass-market line and you get what you pay for. i've sailed with them twice (princess, HAL and carnival, too) and will cruise with them again if i find an itinerary i like.

do some research and read some reviews.

what is it about an inaugural trip? from what i've read, there can be many problems with them. anything from the ship not being ready on-time, untrained crews, ongoing construction, etc. the titanic inaugural didn't turn out so well :eek:

• 2 months later...

Saying that Costa isn't the best is your personal judgement. It doesn't mean that it is the right one. I have cruised on Princess, HAL, Carnival, NCL, Oceania and even on Viking. Each line has pros and cons. It depends what you're looking for. But you're talking about "luxury" lines, none of those you have listed belong to "luxury" lines. You are mixing apple and orange. I can tell you that Oceania is part of "luxury" lines.

The way you talk about inaugural trip you seem very well informed and read quite a bit to say "there can be many problems with them. anything from the ship not being ready on-time, untrained crews, ongoing construction, etc." We cannot generalize like that!

And finally, to talk about titanic inaugural trip is of very bad taste and should not have been mentionned.

We've done two inaugurals, the first on the Norwegian Gem was fantastic, you would never have known, everything ran like clockwork but there was nothing 'special' done for the occasion but it was a great cruise (and not too pricey). A few months later we went on the P&O Ventura, we got champagne at sailaway & commemorative mugs and lots of hype (and it cost quite a lot of money) BUT there were all sorts of teething problems of the sort CTheW0rld suggested and the atmosphere on board was generally unhappy. We have chosen to wait until April to try the Deliziosa but if the inaugural itinerary (and price) appeal to you then go for it, just be prepared for one or two hiccups, then if everything is perfect it's a bonus, although i just looked at the date of your first posting adn I expect you have decided by now. If you are going on it have a great time. The new Costa ships are good (we liked the Concordia) although not so keen on the older ones (Allegra & Europa). Costa are very different from the American lines, you will find lots of information on the boards about the mixed nationalities etc - personally I like that (and the Italina food !), but it comes down to individual preferences.

Archived