I've searched but can't make my decison about beaches!

bickee

I'd like to find the quietest beach possible! I know that Orient is usually chairs upon chairs. Can you recommend a quieter beach with chairs/umbrellas? Maybe Dawn or Little Divi? Or a specific section of Orient?

The north end of Orient is pretty quiet, but if you really want a quiet place I'd stay away from there.

I have been to Grand Case beach club and they were happy to rent anything I needed. That was about 4 years ago though.

Pinel Island is one of my favourite spots. The ferry goes from Cul-de-Sac, and the island overlooks the north end of Orient. It's ptretty quiet, but there are beach chairs, really decent snorkelling and you can hike (it takes about 5 minutes) to the other side of the island where you are quite likely to be alone. Food is really expensive there so we always take our own. The ferry runs hourly.

I used to go to Baie Rouge and Baie Longue to study, they were that quiet. Not sure if there's anywhere to rent chairs though.

There are chair rentals and a beach bar at Baie Rouge. Nothing but a beautiful beach, La Samana and a very scary Rotti when I was at Baie Longue in July.

For what it's worth...

On St. M I've only been to Divi Little Bay and Orient; of the two, Divi Little Bay was a lot quieter. I don't know how it compares to anything else you're looking at, but I'd give it a thumbs-up for a quiet beach day.

I have read that Divi is starting to restrict day visitors. When did you go?

Petite Plage beside Grand Case Beach Club is VERY quiet and if you want you can have lunch at Grand Case Beach Club:

picture:

http://www.tropical-pictures.com/st-maarten/petite-plage/tropical-beach-03.html

Thanks! Do they rent chairs? Was it hard to get to from the port? Been to Grand Case and love it!

Thanks! Do they rent chairs? Was it hard to get to from the port? Been to Grand Case and love it!

I believe Grand Case Beach Club will rent chairs - but I am not 100% positive.

You would either have to rent a car or take a taxi to get there relatively easily.

I have read that Divi is starting to restrict day visitors. When did you go?

I was there a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday and we didn't have a problem renting chairs. We did arrive fairly early in the morning though, maybe 9:30-10:00. We were charged $15 for 2 chairs and an umbrella. I think we were the only cruise people there. I think if we hadn't pulled out our Celebrity towels after swimming, we might have gotten away without paying! :D

I loved it, very clean and quiet. We had to walk right past the customer service desk when we got out of the cab and we didn't have any issues walking onto the beach. I even asked at customer service about using the chairs, just to make sure we were allowed, and she said to just pay one of the guys in the red resort shirts. Didn't seem to be an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Having been to Orient beach a lot before we were looking for a change of pace. We talked to friend that stay periodically on the French side . They recommended Le Gallion beach . At peak time I think there was 40 people on the whole beach about a 1/2 mile long cove .There were chairs umbrellas and chair side service . Food was basic burgers and chicken but very good , they just set up a tab for 6 of us . Eating drinking all day and chairs and umbrellas , 6 hours , 6 people was $120 US . The beach is a sheltered cove on the south end of Orient beach , actually it's the dirt road just past Orient but a whole different remote feel .

It's South end is goverment protected sanctuary . On the North end I saw a good amount of fish , brought my own gear , right where the ocean meets the cove . No waves if you like waves this is not the place . I quess half the people were locals didn't see any cruise towels but ours .200 yds up the road was horseback riding and the Butterfly farm, me and my wife did both while the family swam and relaxed . Loved the horses riding on the beach and the Butterfly farm . Just a great place and made for an unforgettable day ! Have fun !

Having been to Orient beach a lot before we were looking for a change of pace. We talked to friend that stay periodically on the French side . They recommended Le Gallion beach . At peak time I think there was 40 people on the whole beach about a 1/2 mile long cove .There were chairs umbrellas and chair side service . Food was basic burgers and chicken but very good , they just set up a tab for 6 of us . Eating drinking all day and chairs and umbrellas , 6 hours , 6 people was $120 US . The beach is a sheltered cove on the south end of Orient beach , actually it's the dirt road just past Orient but a whole different remote feel .

It's South end is goverment protected sanctuary . On the North end I saw a good amount of fish , brought my own gear , right where the ocean meets the cove . No waves if you like waves this is not the place . I quess half the people were locals didn't see any cruise towels but ours .200 yds up the road was horseback riding and the Butterfly farm, me and my wife did both while the family swam and relaxed . Loved the horses riding on the beach and the Butterfly farm . Just a great place and made for an unforgettable day ! Have fun !

Could you tell me what horse back riding company you used? Thanks!

I would also recommend Le Gallion Beach. We went horseback riding along Le Gallion a couple of years ago and used Bayside Riding Club. They took us through a nature preserve and we ended up taking the horses for a swim at this beach. It is VERY quiet. A dozen or so people. No water sports, loud music, etc. The water is VERY calm. There is no coral, so not much to see as far as snorkeling, etc. But if you just want to relax or go for a swim, it's perfect. Also, there is a nice restaurant right next to the beach. Burgers, etc.

http://www.baysideridingclub.com/

How far is La Gallion from the cruise port? I have a group going and this sounds like the beach for us!!!

Le Gallion is next to Orient Beach so figure 25-30 minutes. A van-cab from the pier with 6 or more should be $6 pp. The distance is not that great but the main road up is a twisty hilly two lane road.

Everyone is exactly correct about 25 minutes from the port perfect for a large group , we were 6 , because there are plenty of umbrellas and chairs available. I wish I could figure out how to post pics I can email them but I am computer illiterate . It was Bayside Stables that we used , the only one there ,

and were thrilled they let us full out gallop , I mean fast . We also went in the water and all along the beach , actually clear up to the south end of Orient.

It was pricey the wife and I were $210 US for 1 1/2 hrs . We have ridden on the dutch side before ,this was much better . I did have good luck snorkeling in the sea beds out by the inlet , it wasn't a reef but if you get the bug like I do , I snorkeled for an hour and a half and wasn't bored at all . No big schools or anything but some fish every couple minutes . Plus it was just an added free caveat for me . Have a blast! Ted

Everyone is exactly correct about 25 minutes from the port perfect for a large group , we were 6 , because there are plenty of umbrellas and chairs available. I wish I could figure out how to post pics I can email them but I am computer illiterate . It was Bayside Stables that we used , the only one there ,

and were thrilled they let us full out gallop , I mean fast . We also went in the water and all along the beach , actually clear up to the south end of Orient.

It was pricey the wife and I were $210 US for 1 1/2 hrs . We have ridden on the dutch side before ,this was much better . I did have good luck snorkeling in the sea beds out by the inlet , it wasn't a reef but if you get the bug like I do , I snorkeled for an hour and a half and wasn't bored at all . No big schools or anything but some fish every couple minutes . Plus it was just an added free caveat for me . Have a blast! Ted

Thanks everyone for the info. Bayside Stables sounds like a great place! I love the idea of being able to gallop!

:)

Archived