Halifax -- car rental, Peggy's Cove, Maritime Museum, Boardwalk and ?????

MalibuCA

I posted this previously at the end of a very long thread, and I'm afraid it may have fallen through the cracks. Therefore, I am posting again, and I look forward to your helpful replies.

We will be visiting Halifax in October 2010. My plan so far is to rent a car and drive to Peggy's Cove. Then, we will return to Halifax to visit the Maritime Museum and explore the Boardwalk, and Downtown Halifax (if time permits.) Here are my questions:

1. What time do the tour buses usually arrive at Peggy's Cove? Our ship will be in Halifax 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. If we rent a car, can we beat the tour buses to Peggy's Cove so that we can experience the area before it is so crowded with tourists?

2. Is there a "village" that we should visit instead of Peggy's Cove to avoid the crowds and still have a beautiful drive and "Halifax experience?"

3. Are Fisherman's Cove or Mahone Bay anywhere near Peggy's Cove? Would we have time to visit either of those areas in addition to Peggy's Cove and still have time back in Halifax for the museum and the Boardwalk? Or am I much too over-programmed? :confused:

4. I am also interested in visiting the Fairview Cemetary. Is this a "must see" the way that Peggy's Cove, the museum and the Boardwalk seem to be "must sees?" I figured that since we will be renting a car, it will be easy to get over there. If you recommend visiting the cemetary, how much time should I allow there?

5. Is the Enterprise Car Rental still located right on the pier? Is Hertz still on Hollis Street in the train station? Are Alamo and National still located in the Westin Hotel 5 minutes walk from the cruise terminal?

5. What is the parking situation at Peggy's Cove, Fairview Cemetary, the museum and the Boardwalk? Are there public parking lots with plenty of available spaces?

Thank you for your help.

Shelley:)

I posted this previously at the end of a very long thread, and I'm afraid it may have fallen through the cracks. Therefore, I am posting again, and I look forward to your helpful replies.

We will be visiting Halifax in October 2010. My plan so far is to rent a car and drive to Peggy's Cove. Then, we will return to Halifax to visit the Maritime Museum and explore the Boardwalk, and Downtown Halifax (if time permits.) Here are my questions:

1. What time do the tour buses usually arrive at Peggy's Cove? Our ship will be in Halifax 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. If we rent a car, can we beat the tour buses to Peggy's Cove so that we can experience the area before it is so crowded with tourists?

2. Is there a "village" that we should visit instead of Peggy's Cove to avoid the crowds and still have a beautiful drive and "Halifax experience?"

3. Are Fisherman's Cove or Mahone Bay anywhere near Peggy's Cove? Would we have time to visit either of those areas in addition to Peggy's Cove and still have time back in Halifax for the museum and the Boardwalk? Or am I much too over-programmed? :confused:

4. I am also interested in visiting the Fairview Cemetary. Is this a "must see" the way that Peggy's Cove, the museum and the Boardwalk seem to be "must sees?" I figured that since we will be renting a car, it will be easy to get over there. If you recommend visiting the cemetary, how much time should I allow there?

5. Is the Enterprise Car Rental still located right on the pier? Is Hertz still on Hollis Street in the train station? Are Alamo and National still located in the Westin Hotel 5 minutes walk from the cruise terminal?

5. What is the parking situation at Peggy's Cove, Fairview Cemetary, the museum and the Boardwalk? Are there public parking lots with plenty of available spaces?

Thank you for your help.

Shelley:)

just saw this here. I answered the best I could on the other post.

• 4 months later...

Ill try to answer each numbered question

1 The first tour buses usually arrive between 10:00 & 10;30a.m.

If you know the City, quite easy to beat the buses, if not you might by getting Lost get behind schedule and arrive same or later time. Also between 8-9 am is rush hour traffic coming into the City to consider

2. There is a number of communitys on your way to Peggys but I would recommend the stop there as the rugged scenery is spectacular.

3.Fishermans Cove is located across the harbor where the ship will be docked,very scenic , about 45 minutes across the Angus L MacDonald bridge to the neighboring City of Dartmouth

Mahone Bay would be a continuation after Peggys about an hour on route 103, 2 hours on the Lighthouse route #333 which is a scenic route with lower speed limits

The Boardwalk and Mar Museum are within walking distance from the Pier about 20 minutes or less

Parking at Peggys and the cemetary should pose no problems, downtown Halifax is another matter, you may encounter problems there

4 The Fairview Lawn Cemetary is about 20 minutes by car from the Pier .Time there 30 minutes

5 National is located in the Train station about 5 minutes from Pier, back of Westin Nova Scotian has rear entrance which you can use, go up 1 floor on elevator ,proceed to connected train station Enterprise is also located in the train station,

You could do the Paggys- Mahone Bay trip in the a.m. and head back to Halifax, picking up Fairview Lawn cemetary, then proceed downtown Halifax and return vehicle and walk the balance as your sites are close to the Pier

Hope this is a little help and enjoy your stay to our fair City

p.s. Geoogle Earth would help your planning as well as Mapquest

Rent a car with a GPS (or take yours) and you should be fine.

I would drive to Peggys Cove on back roads and then on to Mahone Bay (routes 3 and 333) and then take the fast road back (Route 103).

I have never been to the cemetery (It is just tombstones) but the Maritime Museum including the Titanic exhibit is great.

Rent a car with a GPS (or take yours) and you should be fine.

I would drive to Peggys Cove on back roads and then on to Mahone Bay (routes 3 and 333) and then take the fast road back (Route 103).

I have never been to the cemetery (It is just tombstones) but the Maritime Museum including the Titanic exhibit is great.

Unless you're really interested in Titanic lore, it's just a cemetery. Distinctive little markers and a board explaining the site. I don't know that it's worth the time it would take. Definitely not if the Fairview overpass isn't done by then.

vic-water@gov.ns.ca is the e address for the provincial informaton centre in Halifax. If you e mail them you could ask for a map highlighting the road out of town to Peggy's Cove and a Titanic Cemeteries brochure. Also a Halifax Visitor Guide.

Archived