How many hours do your kiddos spend in the clubs?

Liltx31

If they really like it. . .

Do you let them stay as much as they want?

Do you let them stay onboard while you are in port?

I have a feeling my 6 year old will want to spend every minute there. She is very outgoing and loves to join in activities.

My 4 year old will probably mostly hang out with the rest of the family. She is very shy although she is in pre-K this year so she is used to school. She will probably not talk to anyone there the whole week though. We will not push it, we are fine with her being with us.

We will be on RCI. Will they let you stay with them for a little while the first day while DD4 gets comfortable?

TIA

Monica

Monica, first of all, to answer your question about being allowed to stay, generally no, RCCL does not allow that. I have seen one person say they were allowed to stay in AO on Explorer of the Seas, but I have never personally seen it. On Freedom and Independence, there was a rope gate at AO and NO parents made it passed the front door for any reason. Even to physically pick up my sleeping child, they handed her over the ropes. Wouldn't allow me to step in. Also, I watched a grandmother try to step in just to help her gdaughter put on her shoes, she was stopped immediatly by the AO staff and told that they would help the child.

It's for security reasons. You can see the entire room. But you can't step into it (except for the first night during the open house/registration)

As far as how many hours - TOO MANY! My kids are obsessed with those kids clubs. I can't get them out. I had to beg for them to come out and go swimming with me. And even THEN, I was met with a "When can we go back?" :eek:

I try to stick to a few "family rules". All meals are FAMILY meals. So that means they don't go to AO for Breakfast, Lunch and I allow them ONE dinner with AO. It's a special Kids Formal Night dinner and Dance Party.

They come all day during port days. In all of our cruises, they have only been allowed to stay onboard during one port (Belize) and it was because we couldn't find a kid friendly excursion that the kids wanted to do. So they asked to stay onboard while my hubby and I went on ATVs. We had family/friends staying onboard.

At night, my time limit is 10pm. I pull my kids out at 10pm because I know that for THEM - 10pm is their own sanity limit. They get super cranky when they stay up later than 10pm. :)

We also sit down every night and work out the "Activities not to miss" for the next day. So the pirate parade, the Space Mud, the Gaga Ball, the Talent Show, the PJ Party -- those are the activities I know they won't want to miss.

Your cabin attendant will place a Kid Compass for their age group on your bed each evening for the next day. So you can talk it over with your shy, youngest and ask her if there is something she may like to do.

The one BIG HUGE piece of advice I can give you for your 4 year old. Talk about AO with excitement in your voice, not trepidation. They are like little blood hounds, they can sniff out when you are apprehensive about something (like if she knows that YOU know she may not like AO).

Go over the AO compasses (at the link in my signature). Talk about how much FUN it will be. And when you drop her off. Paste a smile on your face :D And the key is to WALK AWAY AND DON'T LOOK BACK! So many times I have traveled with friends who say things like "I'll buy you something if you stay in the kids club" :eek: The kids are set up to believe they won't have a great time. Then the moms stand outside yelling "Are you ok? Are you sure you are going to be ok?" The kids will mirror your emotions.

So don't get caught up in it. Sign them up. Drop them off. And walk AWAY. Then you can sneak around the corner and peak in when they aren't looking ;) Then you'll see they are fine and you can go on and enjoy yourself.

Have a great cruise!

Thank you so much for the information. We will definitely talk it up with our four year old. I am a teacher so I know about the game face. She is in my classroom at school and still didn't talk for the first 2 months. She is REALLY shy. I try to pick my battles so to speak with that. So ballet (which she loves now), school, and children's church are a must. The gym childcare and some other things have been a pass. We will of course try the kids club but if is too much for her then we will just skip it. Grandma and grandpa are on the cruise too so that will give dh and I a break.

DD6 will def. be picked up by 10 pm each night. I think we will do what you suugested and let her pick several activities each day.

It's funny how different they are.

Thanks,

Monica

Monica, first of all, to answer your question about being allowed to stay, generally no, RCCL does not allow that. I have seen one person say they were allowed to stay in AO on Explorer of the Seas, but I have never personally seen it. On Freedom and Independence, there was a rope gate at AO and NO parents made it passed the front door for any reason. Even to physically pick up my sleeping child, they handed her over the ropes. Wouldn't allow me to step in. Also, I watched a grandmother try to step in just to help her gdaughter put on her shoes, she was stopped immediatly by the AO staff and told that they would help the child.

It's for security reasons. You can see the entire room. But you can't step into it (except for the first night during the open house/registration)

As far as how many hours - TOO MANY! My kids are obsessed with those kids clubs. I can't get them out. I had to beg for them to come out and go swimming with me. And even THEN, I was met with a "When can we go back?" :eek:

I try to stick to a few "family rules". All meals are FAMILY meals. So that means they don't go to AO for Breakfast, Lunch and I allow them ONE dinner with AO. It's a special Kids Formal Night dinner and Dance Party.

They come all day during port days. In all of our cruises, they have only been allowed to stay onboard during one port (Belize) and it was because we couldn't find a kid friendly excursion that the kids wanted to do. So they asked to stay onboard while my hubby and I went on ATVs. We had family/friends staying onboard.

At night, my time limit is 10pm. I pull my kids out at 10pm because I know that for THEM - 10pm is their own sanity limit. They get super cranky when they stay up later than 10pm. :)

We also sit down every night and work out the "Activities not to miss" for the next day. So the pirate parade, the Space Mud, the Gaga Ball, the Talent Show, the PJ Party -- those are the activities I know they won't want to miss.

Your cabin attendant will place a Kid Compass for their age group on your bed each evening for the next day. So you can talk it over with your shy, youngest and ask her if there is something she may like to do.

The one BIG HUGE piece of advice I can give you for your 4 year old. Talk about AO with excitement in your voice, not trepidation. They are like little blood hounds, they can sniff out when you are apprehensive about something (like if she knows that YOU know she may not like AO).

Go over the AO compasses (at the link in my signature). Talk about how much FUN it will be. And when you drop her off. Paste a smile on your face :D And the key is to WALK AWAY AND DON'T LOOK BACK! So many times I have traveled with friends who say things like "I'll buy you something if you stay in the kids club" :eek: The kids are set up to believe they won't have a great time. Then the moms stand outside yelling "Are you ok? Are you sure you are going to be ok?" The kids will mirror your emotions.

So don't get caught up in it. Sign them up. Drop them off. And walk AWAY. Then you can sneak around the corner and peak in when they aren't looking ;) Then you'll see they are fine and you can go on and enjoy yourself.

Have a great cruise!

WOW What an awesome resource!!! TY Cruisin' Mama...Can you tell me which do you think was the most fun cruise for your kids and which one was the most economical for it's value???? Thank you!

Archived