Bringing alcohol onboard

crazycruiselady

Judging from the information MSC has posted, they're very strict about not allowing passengers to bring alcohol onto the ship. My husband and I usually pack a bottle of vodka in our suitcase and have never had anyone question us or take it. Also, sometimes we pick up a six pack of the local beer to enjoy on board. Is this prohibited?

Thanks for your help.

DW and I just got off of Poesia after the trans Atlantic. In Bari, Tunis, Malaga, Funchal & St Thomas they let anyone carry bottles back on board. Suddenly in San Juan they started confiscating bottles. The only time they did not scan our carry ons was during the first embarkation. Any other time we boarded the ship our bags were scanned twice, once through security and again on the boat. They will see the bottles and an alarm will sound. Why they ignored it during the first 5 ports is unknown to me. Btw, MSC is a great cruise line. You will enjoy it if you have an open mind. We would sail again tomorrow on Poesia. I believe your best shot is to bring all you can during the inital embarkation.

DW and I just got off of Poesia after the trans Atlantic. In Bari, Tunis, Malaga, Funchal & St Thomas they let anyone carry bottles back on board. Suddenly in San Juan they started confiscating bottles. The only time they did not scan our carry ons was during the first embarkation. Any other time we boarded the ship our bags were scanned twice, once through security and again on the boat. They will see the bottles and an alarm will sound. Why they ignored it during the first 5 ports is unknown to me. Btw, MSC is a great cruise line. You will enjoy it if you have an open mind. We would sail again tomorrow on Poesia. I believe your best shot is to bring all you can during the inital embarkation.

Welcome to the United States of America!!!

Last August in the Baltics a member of our group bought a bottle of some kind of very special vodka in St Petersburg. That night we were in one of the lounges for a quiz. He brought out the bottle and asked for glasses. No problem. I don't drink but the rest of the group polished off the bottle. I'm not sure if this is typical but our group had no problem at all. MSC does things differently in different regions so I'm not sure if it will be the same in the Caribbean, though.

Ok so I am boarding the MSC Poesia tomorrow. In my checked luggage is 2 bottles of wine (for my stateroom) I will buy wine at dinner and a small bottle of Bacardi (for off the ship). I plan on purchasing mojitos cuba libres and such on the ship. I "locked" that bag with a stupid luggage lock. Let's see what happens. I will report back.

• 3 weeks later...

A member of our travelling party bought 2 bottles of Blue Curacao in Curacao but had it in the carry on cardboard box and was asked to check the box in and it would be delivered to her cabin at end of cruise, she then bought a bottle of a columbian liqour and had it in bag with other purchases and was able to walk onboard with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

did you leave them in the original bottles? i've heard the scanner detects liquid...have any of yall had any luck with rumrunner flasks? i've heard of some brave souls just slipping a plastic flask in their cargo shorts and walking right through. surely they don't pat you down, do they? sorry for all my rambling, i've just never been cruising before :)

did you leave them in the original bottles? i've heard the scanner detects liquid...have any of yall had any luck with rumrunner flasks? i've heard of some brave souls just slipping a plastic flask in their cargo shorts and walking right through. surely they don't pat you down, do they? sorry for all my rambling, i've just never been cruising before :)

No they don't pat you down or at least they haven't up until now. Who knows what extra security precaustions may be introduced especially on US sailings after that failed (thankfully) Christmas day bomb plot.

I've only brought alcholo on board 3 times on MSC ships (luggage usually already too heavy). On tow occasions, it was very obvious rum in a carrier bag with the name of the distellery on it in martinique and Limoncello in a Limoncello carrier bag in Naples. They didn't say a word. Just let it go through the scanner. On the third occasion it was in my carry on bag and no doubt showed up in the scanner.

The thing to note is that their policy is you can't but they are not great at enforcing many of the "rules". You however may be unlucky and get someone who decides the rules are the rules and they may take it off you. My view has always been that if they confiscate it until the end of the cruise, then so be it - it is the rule after all - if they don't then great.

Archived