New to Carnival with questions????

longduo

Hi,

We have sailed a lot, but just booked our first cruise on Carnival Splendor for spring break with our kids and grandkids. I have a few questions for Carnival experts.

Wine packages......on the website I see you can purchase individual bottles in advance, but I think I also saw on CC that there are wine packages. Is that right? Can they be purchased in advance or do you get them on the ship? Are they for the dining room or for your cabin? Do you have to pay a corkage fee on them if purchased onboard or in advance?

Soda cards......same questions. I see a 4 soda card online, but that sounds different from what you can buy onboard.

Is it true that people can wear dress shorts to dinner?!?!?

Are there age limits for using the pool slide or the basketball court?

Is there a fee for mini-golf?

Any "secrets" or important info it would help me to know about the Splendor?

We're looking forward to trying something new with the young folks!

[Hello and Welcome to Carnival !!!

We just took our first cruise on Carnival , the Pride . We sailed Nov. 1st. We've been on others lines also and I can say that we now LOVE Carnival.

I can't answer all your questions or any really as we don't drink soda and we brought some wine for me on board.

Wen't without the kids and relaxed by the water slides. I can tell you that adults were using it if that helps.

WE did see shorts (dressy and not ) in the MDR. We found that anything went .

No fee for mini golf.

Hope the time flys by for you until you cruise.

Either way you'll be happy you booked it with Carnival.

The Food in the MDR is outstanding... (and cooking is my passion).

Carrie

quote=longduo;22019624]Hi,

We have sailed a lot, but just booked our first cruise on Carnival Splendor for spring break with our kids and grandkids. I have a few questions for Carnival experts.

Wine packages......on the website I see you can purchase individual bottles in advance, but I think I also saw on CC that there are wine packages. Is that right? Can they be purchased in advance or do you get them on the ship? Are they for the dining room or for your cabin? Do you have to pay a corkage fee on them if purchased onboard or in advance?

Soda cards......same questions. I see a 4 soda card online, but that sounds different from what you can buy onboard.

Welcome to Carnival,

Yes I have seen dress shorts in the MDR.

Soda cards, purchase anywhere on the ship. BUT wait until you sail as if

you purchase them in most ports you pay additional TAX on the cards.

Water slide has a height limit but not a age. I think you need to be like

36" tall. As a adult I would be careful on it myself....

Water slide has a height limit but not a age. I think you need to be like

36" tall. As a adult I would be careful on it myself....

The old Fantasy-class ships are 48". All others are 42".

In regards to the wine package - I don't believe you can pre-purchase these, it must be done on the ship. There are no additional corkage fees to pay, but they will charge a 15% gratuity on the package fee. I'm not sure how the redemption works, but I don't see where it would be a problem to get one of your bottles to take back to your cabin if you choose to do so.

The 4 soda card you see is a way to pre-pay for a can of soda, which runs $1.95 + 15% gratuity on board. You can buy a soda card on the ship for unlimited soda - it's $6/day for adults, and I believe $4.50/day for under 21. You don't get the whole can, though - they just fill up a glass, which ends up being about 3/4 of the can it appears.

Have a great time! The Splendor was our favorite ship. I highly recommend an evening at the supper club, the food was amazing and well worth the extra cost!

Hi,

As for shorts in the MDR, kind of varies from ship to ship. I have seen people be asked to go change on some ships, others don't seem to care.

As for the pool slide I have seen some pretty young kids all the way to adults. Not sure just how young is too young.

The 4 soda card is a gift card to send to someone, you can buy the unlimited card on the ship.

for the wine, if you bring your own to the dinning room you may or may not get charged a corkage fee, depends on your waiter.

Hi,

Yes, they can be purchased in advance by calling the Bon Voyage Dept and the wines will be delivered to your cabin. You can also purchase them in the MDR if you plan on having wine during dinner on most nights. This will be the most convenient. The selections and the deals may vary among different ships, but I guess not by much. We have had deals like $60 for 3 bottles to $84 for 3 bottles. A few of the selections I remember are Robert Mondavi Napa Valley, Grgich Hills, Meridien, Kendall Jackson, among many others. No Corkage fees if you buy from them. If you bring your own (you are allowed one bottle per person over 21) the rule is that there will be a corkage fee in the dining room but it is seldom enforced.

If you buy the package you will be given coupons. DON'T LOSE THEM AS THEY ARE LIKE CASH AND NOT REPLACEABLE. Just give the cocktail waitress a coupon for a bottle. If you don't finish a bottle you can take it with you.

Yes, on casual nights, it is allowed. But don't be suprised to see that on elegant nights also. Carnival is pretty lax as far as dress code enforcement is concerned. You just have to not let them bother you.

NO.

Go to the top of the page and use the search feature to search for "Carnival Splendor". There have been quite a fre good reviews posted on the ship.

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived