Taxi Safety

Vanessa L

I did a search and didn't find this issue addressed, especially in light of all the drug cartel issues Mexico is having. I am taking my 12 year old son on a cruise sailing 11/30, doing Cozumel and Calica. I wanted to take him to do the Dolphin Encounter but don't want to pay the ship's prices :eek: I am questioning how safe the taxis are at the port for a mom and her 12 year old son traveling alone? Also, if anyone has any information about the cost from Calica to the Dolphin Encounter site--Puerto Aventuras (one way or R/T) that would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you in advance for your help.

:)

Other than questionable driving habits, you're as safe or safer with a licensed PDC cabbie as you would be in NYC, Chicago, or LA.

You can get from Calica to PDC for 5 or 6 US dollars per person, then 140 pesos ($11 USD or so) total for up to 4 people from PDC to Puerto Aventuras. You'll have to negotiate the direct Calica to Puerto Aventuras fare.

Other than questionable driving habits, you're as safe or safer with a licensed PDC cabbie as you would be in NYC, Chicago, or LA.

You can get from Calica to PDC for 5 or 6 US dollars per person, then 140 pesos ($11 USD or so) total for up to 4 people from PDC to Puerto Aventuras. You'll have to negotiate the direct Calica to Puerto Aventuras fare.

Thanks again, snorkel! I've ridden in taxis in Paris, Frankfurt, Barcelona, and Naples, Italy....apparently all places where speed limits and traffic lights are just a suggestion. :eek: So, I think I would be [moderately] prepared for the driving in Mexico. So, it looks like I need to allow about $50R/T if I am reading you correctly, $10-$12 +/- to PDC and then $11 for both of us to PA. I could probably get away with $45 but would like to tip them also. As a side note question, snorkel, I've read that you can get a taxi to come back and pick you up where they left you at a predetermined time. I'm assuming (though that typically gets me in trouble, thus, the question) that I would simply tell the taxi driver that I will pay him upon return? I think I have read that, that is protocol, but I want to be sure.

Thanks again for your valuable information. I think this is starting to come together :)

Thanks again, snorkel! I've ridden in taxis in Paris, Frankfurt, Barcelona, and Naples, Italy....apparently all places where speed limits and traffic lights are just a suggestion. :eek: So, I think I would be [moderately] prepared for the driving in Mexico. So, it looks like I need to allow about $50R/T if I am reading you correctly, $10-$12 +/- to PDC and then $11 for both of us to PA. I could probably get away with $45 but would like to tip them also. As a side note question, snorkel, I've read that you can get a taxi to come back and pick you up where they left you at a predetermined time. I'm assuming (though that typically gets me in trouble, thus, the question) that I would simply tell the taxi driver that I will pay him upon return? I think I have read that, that is protocol, but I want to be sure.

Thanks again for your valuable information. I think this is starting to come together :)

Your best bet would be to negotiate a direct fare, then if the price is unreasonable do the Calica-PDC-PA run. PA is closer to Calica than to PDC.

Archived