Things to see in Tampa

witneys7

So my hubby and I will have a whole day and a half in Tampa after we get back from the cruise, aside from theme parks what are some great things to see around Tampa that we don't know about, ie, a great beach, a historical site, etc. etc. We've never been to Tampa before and don't want to overlook anything fun. BTW, we'll be there in January if that matters. Thanks!

Well, Tampa is a great place to visit. Luv it!!! I would definitely have lunch or dinner at Columbia Restaurant in Ybor city(cuban part of Tampa). Some evenings they have a flamengo show at dinner, Look at their website - do a google search for Columbia Restaurant, Ybor City. Their menu and details about flamengo show are on it. Lots of history with that restaurant- Teddy Roosevelt stayed there with some of the Rough Riders before he went to Cuba and won the Spanish American War.

Tampa has great places to shop .

And right across the bay is Clearwater and St pete Beach- beautiful white sandy beaches.

I don't know what days you'll be there, but there may be Tampa Bay Buc NFL football home game there at Raymond James Stadium.

Have a great stay there.

You've gotten some great suggestions...in addition, right near the port is the aquarium and there is also the Tampa Zoo. The beaches of Clearwater and St. Pete are beautiful. St. Pete is about 30 min south in I-275...just left off the exit is Ft. DeSoto Park whick is nationally rated or straight ahead is the famous Don CeSar, a fabulous pink hotel. A little pricey but gorgeous just the same.

Salvador Dali Museum

I have to disagree with the Columbia Restaurant suggestion - overpriced, average food, tourist trap.

http://www.bernssteakhouse.com is the place to go. One of the best steakhouses anywhere in the nation. Outstanding wine list (about the size of the bible and many of the wines are available by glass), and a wonderful end to the evening upstairs in the dessert room... :) Expensive, but worth every penny.

We love Busch Gardens, but we live just 50 minutes away so we buy a Florida resident yearly pass (about the $ame as a day ticket) and we visit on days that we know we will have the park to ourselves. Recently we went twice within few weeks, on Tuesdays, and it felt like a private party. Arrived at 11am and were pretty much done by 3pm, doing every roller coaster, water ride at least twice. It is a different story during the season where the lines can stretch forever for just about any ride.

St. Pete beach.

The Florida Aquarium

http://www.bigcatrescue.org

About how far from channelside to ybor, St Petersburg, bush gardens or clearwater beach? If stay at the marriot can I just cab it all over or we talking distance and traffic?:confused:I don't really want to rent a car.

If you're staying at the Waterside Marriott (on Channelside), it's walkable to the Channelside complex & the aquarium; probably 1/2 mile. Alternatively (favorably?), the trolley has a stop very close to the hotel. You could hop on it & buy a day pass for about $4. It also stops about 1/2 block from the aquarium, then continues on its' run. At the far end there are a couple of stops in Ybor City, so you can use it for transport back & forth to there.

To BG, it's about a 20 minute cab ride (depending on traffic); it would probably be $15 or $20 each way (that's a guess, I'm not sure of the exact fare). It's probably your best option if you don't have a rental car.

Clearwater Beach is a longer trip - 25 to 30 miles. I'd imagine a cab would be expensive.

Archived