Pride of Aloha

Joan & Ed

I was on the POA in September and it was fine. The crew went out of its way to make it a pleasant trip. The food was not superb, but I have heard it has gotten better. It is the perfect way to see Hawaii. Our room was very clean, our cabin steward was wonderful. If you have any questions I will be happy to answer them.

I just got back from the POA on Sunday. The cruise was absolutely fine and I wouldn't worry. Although the emphasis is on the ports, the POA proved to be very acceptable. In 8 cruises, four in the last year, the POA was better in some areas, worse in others, but not at all terrible. The food was never horrible, and the ship was very clean except for the windows that were spotted and could use some cleaning. I always saw vaccuming going on in the public areas, varnishing of wood, etc.

We are crusing on Pride of Aloha (Feb. 2005) (NCL) and have just completed reading some terrible reviews (food, rooms, cleanliness, etc.) Is the line doing anything to improve service?

I was concerned before we took our cruise on 12/26/04. All my worries melted away very fast. The crew is excellent. They will bend over backwards to please you.

The ship is decorated in a Hawaiian style. Very nice. A clean ship.

Food in free style dinning rooms about average for cruises. Service was excellent. Specialty restaurants have excellent food. Worth the $15. Service a bit slow, but, hay, your on a Hawaiian cruise.

Shore excusions were excellent. Think of renting cars for the over night stays.

BRING YOUR OWN SOAP BARS. They have only liquid soap. Not good.

The cruise was well worth the cost. A wonderful experience. RELAX, you will enjoy your cruise.:)

Don't worry about past reviews. The POA crew has shaped up. Very acceptable performance. We had a wonderful time on our cruise starting 12/26/04.

One suggestion, bring your own bar soap. They have only liquid soap. Not good.

Bring a power strip if you have a need for more than one outlet.

Specialty restaurants have excellent food. Worth the $15. Service a bit slow, but, hay, your on a Hawaiian cruise.

I'm of a different opinion regarding the specialty restuarants. While the service was a bit more polished, I didn't find the food all that exceptional, so we cancelled are second reservation and opted for the dining rooms instead. I just didn't think the meals warranted the extra $15 per person. One thing I did like about the dining rooms is that they featured a different local chef and their specialty every day. Many cruisers raved about the specialty ribs, which smelled fabulous (although I did not try them).

We went in October and had an absolutely great time. I wish I was going again soon. You're going to have a great time!:D

The quality of the cruise, if you read a lot of reviews, starts to reflect a significant increase in quality and service mi-to-late September. MOst reviews prior to that were not good. NCL has done a lot to improve it. Here's my review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=93997

What are the dress requirements in the different dining rooms? This is my first "freestyle" encounter!

All of the dining venues were resort casual at night. However, I did notice jeans in the dining rooms. It seemed they were only enforcing the "no torn jeans" rule on our cruise.

What's playing at the movie theater?

What kind of music is there around? Dances?

DW and I have taken waltz, rumba, and swing lessons and look foward to trying them out.:cool:

There was some variety of music each night; unfortunately, I can't be more specific than that. As for the "movie theater" there is none, although they did show the Borne Supremacy one night in the main theater in lieu of other entertainment.

There was some variety of music each night; unfortunately, I can't be more specific than that.

Pride of Aloha Band played - Jazz, Beatles Tribute, Swing, and possibly some others we did not catch.

Charles Nahale - Hawaiian music

DJ every night late.. did not catch any of these so I cannot tell you what type of music.

I was on the POA in September and it was fine. The crew went out of its way to make it a pleasant trip. The food was not superb, but I have heard it has gotten better. It is the perfect way to see Hawaii. Our room was very clean, our cabin steward was wonderful. If you have any questions I will be happy to answer them.

Was on the same sailing as you, Maltesemom, and put up a very positive posting. Second everything you said.

Archived