Help With Scuba Diving

bela47911

So this December will be our first cruise and DH is a Dive Master and as I am looking at some of the Shore Excursions, some scuba diving only do 45 ft, while DH is use to diving at 120 ft. SO that 45 ft just won't cut it for him.

We are looking at two ships, still haven't decided. These are the ports, can anyone recommend local dive shops that would be good for very experienced divers. Also would you all recommend going with a local dive shop rather than the shore excursion ones offered on the cruise?

Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated. Here are the ports:

Miami

Key West

Cayman

Nassau

Coco Cay

Thank you:)

So this December will be our first cruise and DH is a Dive Master and as I am looking at some of the Shore Excursions, some scuba diving only do 45 ft, while DH is use to diving at 120 ft. SO that 45 ft just won't cut it for him.

We are looking at two ships, still haven't decided. These are the ports, can anyone recommend local dive shops that would be good for very experienced divers. Also would you all recommend going with a local dive shop rather than the shore excursion ones offered on the cruise?

Miami

Key West

Cayman

Nassau

Coco Cay

Coco Cay is a private island so there is only one dive center and one site.

Key West- there are tons of private options. Try the Vandenburg. It's a wreck dive up to 140 fsw, IIRC.

Nassau- people like http://www.stuartcove.com/

Cayman- There are tons. Eden Rock and Sunset House have been recommended several times that I have seen.

Don't know about Miami.

Miami

Key West

Cayman

Nassau

Coco Cay

So sorry to hear that a very experienced diver thinks deeper is better ... most out grow this. You will be hard pressed to find an operator in a major tourist area that will take a first time customer to deeper than recommended depths on a first dive (if ever). It would not be wise to accept a first time customer's statement that "I'm super experinced at deep dives" would it?

After years of diving I've found most of the 'good stuff' is at depths less than 50 but that depends a lot on the site we're talking and I'm talking most of the (popular) diving locations in the Car' islands....

Sorry if it sounds like a dis' but if you want to go "deep" in Cayman or Coz' you probably need to book a week long visit and establish a relationship with an operator.

OR

rent a tank from Sunset House, swim straight west from their entry point about 75 yards where you will encounter the top of the wall at about 75 feet.....then drop over and "do it deeper"

Bela,

Of the ports you are looking at Grand Cayman has by far the best diving. I've been out with Neptunes Divers there. They should fit the bill nicely for your husband. Are you diving as well?

http://www.neptunesdivers.com/

As a rule of thumb, all things being equal, arranging your own diving is almost always a better option than using a ship's "excursion". Some places(Belize comes to mind) logistics and time may make an issue of doing your own thing.

The "excursions" you mention with 45 foot limits are likely "discover" dives for folks you are not certified divers who may want to experience diving. Those are not for your husband. Look for the "certified" in the description for the excursions he may be interested in. As a certified diver I've never had a 40 anything foot "limit" on a dive unless the terrain was such as a shovel would be needed to get deeper.

Have a great trip]

Rich

Archived