Island Girl???

cantwait06

Hello all,

I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for.

I was hoping to hear from someone who has sailed with Island Girl. I emailed them and they are available the day we are in St. Thomas for our honeymoon, but the deposit is rather large and before we go ahead and book it, I would feel better hearing from some people who have gone on their boat.

No specfic questions, just how was it? Tell me everything (please?)

I appreciate it!

I sailed with them last January. Mike met us at the pier and took us over to a small rubber dinghy. From there, we rode over to the boat where his 1st mate waited for us. There was a total of 4 of us. We took off toward Buck's Island(?). Once there, the 1st mate got each of us into the water (jump off the side -- which took me a little bit of nerve since I was a novice) and joined us. Meanwhile, Mike stayed with the boat and the 1 non-snorkeler with us.

For 45 mins-hour, the 1st mate took us around, diving to point out certain types of fish, taking pictures with his camera, ..... We saw several types of fish and turtles. It was a very personalized experience. We could go off on our own, but I learned a lot from him. After we got back to the boat, we had cheese and crackers and some strong rum punch for the ride back to our ship. The snacks are simple, not fancy. We were given the opportunity to purchase a DVD of photos -- including those taken with us for $15. Well worth it, we thought.

When I went back in July, we were unable to book with Island Girl (last-minute trip). I just booked them for my upcoming January cruise this year. My new husband has never snorkeled, and I am looking forward to the individual attention from Mike and his crew.

topspot, I would really appreciate any insight and feedback you have! Have a great trip!

Joy2day, thank you so much! That sounds like a really wonderful way to spend a day! Did you do the half day or full day tour? They sound really wonderful, I think I am convinced!

Nothing particular-that I can think of now anyway! I just wanted to make sure all was well with them-I haven't read as many reviews as I would have liked with them and I like to read EVERYTHING! I just get nervous about sending a deposit with so little info! That being said, what I have read about them has all be positive, so that does make it easier!

We did the half-day tour -- because we weren't sure that we wanted to commit to a full-day. At the end of the tour, we regretted that decision.

In my opinion, Mike and his crew were very responsible and concerned about our safety first, enjoyment second. Andrew was in the water with us -- helping us adapt to our snorkel gear, finding treasures to point out to us, taking photos, ....

A couple of "housekeeping" matters -- the snacks are not elaborate (Ritz crackers and cheddar cheese), so if that is important, you might be disappointed. Also, we did not need to use the facilities, but it is a marine toilet and requires special care .... which is uncomfortable for some.

Hey Catwait06 next month I've scheduled a 1/2 day said for my wife and I with them. As soon as I get back right after Christmas I'll let you know how it went and add some pics for you. How does that sound?

It sounds fantastic, I am looking forward to it! Pictures sound even better! I hope you have a great cruise and a great day with Island Girl!

A couple of "housekeeping" matters -- the snacks are not elaborate (Ritz crackers and cheddar cheese), so if that is important, you might be disappointed. Also, we did not need to use the facilities, but it is a marine toilet and requires special care .... which is uncomfortable for some.

Snacks don't actually matter too much to me, as I know we are going to be eating wayyyy too much on the boat anyway! I am happy with the openbar/unlimited rum punch deal though!

I spent a good deal of time as a child on my grandfathers boat so I am used to using the facilities on a boat-unless there is something new or that I'm unaware of! I appreciate the tips, thanks for your help!

Hi! My DH and I were on Island Girl this past April and loved it! We were onthe Princess and this was our last port stop. We had never been to teh Caribbean at all and were not sure if we should spend our entire day on a boat rather than visit around St Thomas, but turned out the day we were there was the last day of their month long Carnivale and almost all shops were closed.so it worked out. This was arranged by onof our CC roll group mates. Her, her husband and 23 yo daughter sailed with us and we did the full day sail. This was a really relaxing day and we thought a great way to end a fabulous cruise with no running arund, catching ferries, tour buses, etc.

Mike met us at the dock, we walked to a nearby pier, got into a small dinghy and then on to the waiting boat where is his 1st mate was waiting for us. I forgot her name..but she was a doll. I think she was leaving St Thomas shortly after our trip so he has a new 1st mate by now I am sure.

We sailed to 2 different snorkel stops. The one I jumped out for the water was murky..supposedly from algae bloom..so it was nice, but could have been clearer.

He had those cool snorkel propeller machines..never had used one before but made getting around alot easier. You just hold it out in front of you and press the button and away you go. I called it the lazy man's snorkeling!

We then got out and he had cheese and crackers and drinks. Then as we relaxed, they prepared lunch. It was a nice big fresh grilled chicken breast sandwich and pasta salad. Both yummy and hit the spot.

We then sailed to a 2nd stop where a few of u jumpe out and a few of us stayed on board. There were some sea turtles at this stop. I stayed on board as I didn't feel like getting wet again but I was able to see afew sea turtles from the boat popping up!

We then sailed back and I think we had at least an hour bfore the ship sailed so I shopped around theshops a bit. We were at a dock where there was only port shops..not near the town I think where the other main dock is.

Anyway..we really loved it and I would highly recommend this trip. We also bought the CD they offered. I didn't even know they were taking pics of us all along and I was having such a great relaxed time, I was not taking pics..so it worked out!

I would do this again if I wanted a nice relaxing day and you don't really care about not seeing the island that day. I return to St Thomas next april but will do the island this time around.

Don't hesitate..mike is great and you will have a perfect day! Only warning...wear LOTS of sunscreen and apply liberally and often. I should have listened to the mom on board who kept telling her daughter "apply suncscreen" like every 10 minutes. I didn't..and my DH and I had the worst sunburn on the top of feet and top of head. It felt more like bruising or a chemical burn than a usual ouchy burn..wear a hat and apply that suncreen alot!

We used Mike and Island Girl two weeks ago. He does meet you at the dock across from Vendors Plaza in Charlotte Amalie. His boat is nice and he takes you where you want to go based on your emails with them. We enjoyed the little sea scooters to motor around while snorkling. We would book with them again.

While snokeling we saw sea turtles, stingrays and all kinds of fish.

Enjoy!!!

Cantwait, Just as everyone has posted. Very relaxing. We did the half day sail, and went to Turtle Cove. There were other larger boats their, but our trip out was much more relaxing than if we were on a cattle boat.

We did not use the power snorkels, but if you want them, and they are not offered, just ask and Mike will get them out for you. Just wanted to add we docked at Crown Bay, and Mike picks up in the dingy at this port too.

We are booked on a full day next week - we had read good reviews about them. It will be my husband and me plus 4 other people from our ship - Ruby Princess. It is more expensive but we've been to St. Thomas a couple of times and didn't want to shop- we liked the idea of there just being 6 of us on the boat.

We can't wait.

We are thinking of booking them for after our wedding.. out of the stops they offer, which would you recommend? I think it would be awesome to see some sea turtles! I should mention that my fiance isn't much of a swimmer, but I think he would do well with the motorized scooters lol

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your help and information. I am actually totally frustrated with them right now. I initally contacted them regarding availability on the day we are in port. They told me they were available and gave me all of the information I needed to know. When I contacted them a second time to make a deposit, they told me they were no longer available and that they are taking their vacation that week.:( I'm bummed because this is what I was most looking forward to! Any new suggestions????

Try Jolly Mon. They will also pick you up at the dock so no taxi needed to Red Hook.

Thanks! I actually contacted them last night and they got back to me very quickly! She was really nice but said I was too early-my cruise is just over 8 months away! What can I say, I'm a planner!:D

Archived