Need Advice on Athens Tours other than Historical sites

Jaguar67

Are you a museum enthusiast? The New Acropolis Museum has gotten rave reviews for its architecture, acropolis artifacts and pleasant cafe.

The National Archaelogical Museum is the world's best for Greek artifacts of all periods, including the incredible gold from Mycenae and Akrotiri wall paintings.

The Benaki Museum (free on Thursdays and open until midnight that day) is just up the street from the hourly Changing of the Guard ceremony in front of the Parliament building, with an interesting historic collection, including costumes from many parts of Greece.

The Evzones Changing of the Guard ceremony, every hour on the hour, with a more elaborate one on Sunday mornings, is worth a visit as well.

A couple of blocks past there is the wonderful Museum of Cycladic Art, which in addition to that collection has a floor devoted to daily Greek life in the Classical Age, including two videos of the major life-cyle rites of a Greek youth and many excellent dioramas.

Lastly, my Mr. Military History spouse enjoyed the Military Museum a block further from the Cycladic Museum, although due to early closing, he only was able to view the large weaponry exhibited outside.

Of course, strollling around and sipping an Efes at a sidewalk cafe in the Plaka is another way to enjoy your time in Athens!

You can take the ship's tour to the Temple of Apollo, which is fascinating. Or, if you like doing your own thing, take the hydrofoil to the island of Aegina! It's what the locals do for the weekends. A very pretty unpretentious island, seaside cafes (best gyros!) and pistachios everywhere. Of course, you need to be aware of the timetables. Must return to the ship on time!

Of course, strollling around and sipping an Efes at a sidewalk cafe in the Plaka is another way to enjoy your time in Athens!

Whilst not wanting to gainsay Pam's experience it's worth noting that Efes is a Turkish beer. If it's not on the menu then asking for it may well cause confusion, or possibly offence, in some locations.

Mands

Whilst not wanting to gainsay Pam's experience it's worth noting that Efes is a Turkish beer. If it's not on the menu then asking for it may well cause confusion, or possibly offence, in some locations.

Mands

Mands, my bad!:o

Your are very correct that ordering a Turkish beer in Greece could lead to major issues.

I guess you can tell that I do not drink beer; with my free drink coupon for staying at the Athens Cypria hotel in June, I had a chocolate soda, sort of like a chocolate egg cream! Yes, I am a sweet drinks only person. :)

Order Mythos in Athens and Efes in Istanbul!

You can take the ship's tour to the Temple of Apollo, which is fascinating. Or, if you like doing your own thing, take the hydrofoil to the island of Aegina! It's what the locals do for the weekends. A very pretty unpretentious island, seaside cafes (best gyros!) and pistachios everywhere. Of course, you need to be aware of the timetables. Must return to the ship on time!

Love the suggestion for Aegina. May give that a try.

I guess you can tell that I do not drink beer; with my free drink coupon for staying at the Athens Cypria hotel in June, I had a chocolate soda, sort of like a chocolate egg cream! Yes, I am a sweet drinks only person. :)

Order Mythos in Athens and Efes in Istanbul!

I'm not a beer drinker either, can't stand the taste of the stuff. Now, a nicely chilled glass of wine is a different matter entirely!

There's one place near us that serves Efes. Rumour has it that they smuggle it over the border at night and stash it in among the roof rafters. Folks who are beer drinkers rate it highly.

Mands

Archived