Roatan - new dock

wyo5250

I have heard that independent tour operators will not be allowed to pick up their guests at or near the new cruise dock in Roatan. Will this be a problem? I know many people suggest using the local people for excursions as they are much cheaper than the cruise lines.

There is plenty of discussion about this problem on the Roatan boards. Anyone who wants to use an independent tour guide will have to walk quite a ways outside the new port area to reach the tours. This is posing a problem to older and disabled cruise customers who don't want to be limited to cruise sponsored tours.

I feel that Carnival is doing a huge disservice to their customers and the business men and women of Roatan who have built up reputable businesses that will now be intentionally kept away from the new cruise terminal. It seems as if Carnival wants all the excursion money to themselves. This is threatening to ruin the livelyhoods of local business people who have made this port such a wonderful place to experience.

My most memorable days I have ever had on all my many cruise port stops have been on a private tour with a Victor Bodden tour guide. For $40 pp for two people, we had our own guide for the entire day. He took us everywhere we wanted to go and gave us a great sightseeing experience. This was so much nicer than being crammed in a bus full of other tourists. [i enjoy cruise sponsored tours too, but I want an option of either].

I seriously hope that enough people will complain to Carnival executives about their heartless policy, that they will reconsider and allow independent tour guides to access the port. [gdavis@carnival.com]

Their excuse is that they are only allowing pre-screened tours [which means tours that are Carnival sponsored]. Since Victor Bodden tours has hundreds of positive reviews on CC, as well as other local guides, I can't imagine why they don't meet Carnival's specs, other than they chose to remain independent and not under the financial constraints imposed by Carnival.

In March we have a private tour with Rony. Do you know how far the walk is??? Concerned about my sister who will be with us. I did not know it would be far. I did receive an email from Rony who said when it was closer to our cruise he would inform us where to meet him.

Thank you!

Archived