snorkling at cocay

mak102

My BF and I brought our own snorkel gear. We didn't bother renting the floating vest because we were close to shore and in shallow water. Apparently, you MUST rent a vest, or bring your own, to snorkel because a RCCI employee came out on the rocky outcropping and shreiked the demand that we either remove the snorkel and mask or else. Before, I could ask what the "else" was, she was gone and we just took off the snorkel and mask like she asked. I thought it was a bit tacky. Besides, I can tell you that you will be pretty disappointed in the snorkeling there anyway.

They are very particular about the necessity of a life vest in Coco Cay. Either do the snorkel through the ship and use their equipment (low-cost), or bring all your own gear including life vest. We found inflatables on e-bay that worked great and, although a little expensive, have saved us a lot of money.

Also, be sure not to wear any jewelry. Last year in November, we ran into a barracuda that got a little friendly cause I forgot to remove my rings - they look like fish scales when the sun hits! Otherwise, they've always left us alone - even the school of them we ran into in Key West!

If you swim out to the middle lifeguard, just below and to his right, is a sunken plane with LOADS of fish! There is also a nice platform to rest on not far from that. Towards shore from there, is an anchor (or is it a cannon - I forget), but a few odds and ends that often have some nice colorful fish around them.

The only other warning would be to note where the nurse's station is because sometimes jellyfish are around, and if you get stung, there is relief right outside the station in some packets. Nice that they are prepared! So long as you are aware and educated about the dangers, and prepare for them, there is nothing to be afraid of, and so very much to enjoy! This is what the Caribbean is all about to us! The fish are incredible!

Be sure to get a cocoloco - yum!

Also, if you walk past the place where you got off the boat, and take the trail, you will come past a couple picnic tables and hammocks that are next to a small pond. A bunch of green iguanas hangs out there hoping for food. Someone I know also said they saw a manatee in the pond, although I've never anyone else say that.

Archived