Travel insurance?

aarinsmama

We have a cruise scheduled for DH and I in January for our anniversary, and the kids are staying with my mom. I think I need to look into travel insurance because anything can happen with so many people to depend upon for this trip! Can anyone give me any ideas or recommendations for travel insurance? What do I need to look for, reputable companies, etc? I've never shopped for or used it! Thanks all!

Did you book more than 2 weeks ago?? If you your options are already limitied. If one of them has a pre-existing condition that might affect your travel, you are past open enrollment on most policies .. just as a for instance.

What do you want to cover .. when you say so many depend on this?? Your children who are staying with your parents? Just you?

We have a cruise scheduled for DH and I in January for our anniversary, and the kids are staying with my mom. I think I need to look into travel insurance because anything can happen with so many people to depend upon for this trip! Can anyone give me any ideas or recommendations for travel insurance? What do I need to look for, reputable companies, etc? I've never shopped for or used it! Thanks all!

The Carnival Berkely Policy offers very low Medical coverage, marginal MedEvac coverage and no "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" (but DOES offer Future Cruise CREDIT if your claim is denied as due to Pre-Existing Condition) and as of 7/01/2009 includes cancellation coverage for Hurricane Warning, and cancellation coverage for Job Layoff. If you cancel your Cruise before final Payment the Carnival Policy premium is refundable. Carnival and Berkely both CLAIM that the Policy also covers your independently purchased AirFare. The Carnival Policy is a good deal financially (only) if you're in upper 60's or over, as Age is not factored into the Premium as it is with 3rd Party Policies.

The 3rd Party Policies such as CSA, Travel-Ex and Travel-Insured offer much higher coverages are much less expensive if you're younger, and generally offer "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" if you purchase w/in 14-21 days of Cruise Deposit (CSA and HTH allow you to purchase up to Final Payment and retain the Waiver). Most Policies are “Secondary” meaning that you have to first file claims with your own Health/Homeowners Insurance and the 3rd party Policy will pay what your insurance doesn’t pay (up to limits of the policy). If you're traveling with kids, checkout TravelEx and TravelInsured, who insure Kids free with insured adults.

TravelEX is PRIMARY and includes kids under 16 free and offers a Business/Military upgrade.

CSA Freestyle includes Cancellation for Layoff and for School Year Extension.

Patriot TRIP is PRIMARY coverage and includes Cancellation for Layoff, Cancelled Leave for Military, Fire & Police and Missed cruise for flite delay.

TravelInsured includes kids insured free with insured adult.

ken

insuremytrip.com is a good place to compare different policies/prices. As mentioned, most have a 14 day period after you make your cruise deposit where the pre-condition clause is waived. After that most have a 60-180 day period before you purchase your policy where pre existing conditions are not covered.

Access America has a good policy for 6% of cost of trip. If you are within final payment date it will cover pre-existing conditions even if you booked more than two weeks ago. You can actually purchase the polciy up until your cruise date but pre-existing stuff only covered if purchased within final payment date. Not sure if this policy is unique to just a particular agency or if they make it available for purchase directly.

I always get insurance. Every company will offer you varying levels of coverage at various prices.

For me AIG (I know... I know...) has been the best fit. You can go to their website and look for travel insurance.

There's tons of companies that provide coverage so it really can be a daunting task.

:)

Archived