Have they ever cancelled a cruise?

boomonster

Cruise companies cannot control weather/fate/political situations. The best they can do is work around it the best they can. If there is a political situation in Panama that makes it unsafe for a cruise ship to go through the canal, then yes, the cruise company will attempt to find alternate ports or have lots of sea days.

Stuff happens and most of it is out of cruise companies hands.... If you want a guaranteed destination, then fly there, otherwise enjoy what the cruise line offers you in the way of destinations.

Yes, you are correct......blah blah blah....that the cruise companies cannot control "weather/fate/political situations" HOWEVER, all of the folks booked on the Destiny are NOT talking about ANY of the above situations. They are referring to KNOWN engine propulsion issues, know to Carnival, that are broken on a ship creating changes to itineraries as well as a possible need to "dry dock" this ship. To act Godlike, and say that everyone has to ACCEPT being notified and possibly cancelled the day before because that is how YOU feel is out of bounds and ridiculous. Some folks have airline reservations and live far from port....causing additional expenses to cancel or change....Some folks work and have arranged specific travel dates far in advance...Some folks travel very rarely and possibly this is their ONLY opportunity to cruise. Others situations are different and they look at cruising differently than you and don't want nor have they chosen to go on a one-stop land vacation, but have chosen multiple stop itineraries on a ship because it takes them precisely to locations they want to see. Have some compassion and understanding for folks who may be in a different mind set and situation than you.

That's good you had a good time. But, it still doesn't help those of us who have plane tickets and have additional costs to their trip due to carnivals "known" problem. I just wish carnival would be considerate to those, who are making a special trip to FL, to give them options to re-configure a "PLANNED IN ADVANCE" vacation. Shame on Carnival!

That's good you had a good time. But, it still doesn't help those of us who have plane tickets and have additional costs to their trip due to carnivals "known" problem. I just wish carnival would be considerate to those, who are making a special trip to FL, to give them options to re-configure a "PLANNED IN ADVANCE" vacation. Shame on Carnival!

When I was rerouted to New Orleans on the Conquest, I was kinda shocked at how little empathy folks had for me having to get two handicapped folks home to Dallas.

I think its different when it happens to you. The folks who it didnt happen to cant put themselves in your shoes and sympathize. I wouldnt be responsible for another HC person again (other than my sister) probably after that experience when it was all on my shoulders and on my dime. People will quote you rules and how you should have been fine with this or say insurance would have solved all my problems, all day long, no sympathy. I really was shocked at folks reaction here on CC.

Ain't that the truth firefly?! For some people to come on here and to quote rules just shows their stupidity. So unless it happens to them, they can't begin to feel how it feels to be in those kind of shoes, with no empathy towards them. Sure, some people like to cruise and what not. But then there are some (like myself) who don't cruise hardly at all (look at my past cruise list) and decide to once in awhile book a trip based on where YOU Want to go. I just don't get people who can be so inconsiderate and mean because someone is upset the nice vacation they looked forward to might be changed, unless they are in fact a cruise line employee, stating fact with no empathy.

The only time I've read about cancellations is due to something severly wrong with the ship (the Princess fire, the Norway explosion).

If the ship can sail, usually it will, but possibly with an altered itinerary.

Even during hurricanes, if the storm will affect the departure or arrival port, the previous, current, or future cruise is just delayed or extended.

Ok with all the propulsion problems , how awlful will the vibrations be in the back (aft wrap balconies)? Is it sporatic or a constant chewing of a chevy in the motor(I've heard that 's what it sounds like)? Will the front or middle of the boat hear feel it? Naive here.

We are booked on the Destiny in Dec. room 7250, wonder if we will feel anything (like the chewing of a Chevy motor) that has been described by a poster just off the ship? Hopefully it is fixed by then. I've read on other posts that the ship had these problems in September but were repaired but seem to have returned. :confused:

We booked a cruise on the Celebration out of NO years ago and there was a fire in the engine area and we got a call the day before we were going to leave to drive to NO that it had been cancelled. We rebooked it for a month or two later and got a 50% refund.

They say things happen for a reason and that very night we got a lot of "unpredicted" snow (this was Arkansas) and so if it hadn't been cancelled we'd have had heck getting there!!

We booked a cruise on the Celebration out of NO years ago and there was a fire in the engine area and we got a call the day before we were going to leave to drive to NO that it had been cancelled. We rebooked it for a month or two later and got a 50% refund.

They say things happen for a reason and that very night we got a lot of "unpredicted" snow (this was Arkansas) and so if it hadn't been cancelled we'd have had heck getting there!!

Hey Cod! My first cruise was suppose to be on the Celebration. I think I might have been a week or two after you. We got notified on Monday that we wouldn't be flying out on Thursday. We rebooked on the Destiny (it was new then) and got 50% of our money back, didn't have to pay the higher Destiny prices (or air fare, only time we used Carnival air) got upgraded from an inside to a Balcony. AND our wonderful TA got us a 50% discount on a future cruise.

Worked out for the best!

Archived