Pre-trip stay at Disney or at port?

aeggp

We are cruising on the Wonder, Feb 14. We are driving in the day before from Louisiana arriving early in the evening. What would be better to stay at Disney Resort or at a hotel near the port. What suggestions do you have?

We're staying at a Disney resort as we're flying in the night before and won't have a car. However, if we were driving, I'd opt for a port location and find a hotel with a "park and cruise" package. That way, your parking expenses are minimized and you'll just take their shuttle to the port and back.

If you make it to the port area early enough (4 p.m.), you'll be able to see the Magic as she sets sail, which could add to the excitement.

Arriving that late wouldnt leave you much time to do anything at WDW and you'll be tired too.

I would stay at Cocoa beach. The Radisson is nice and offers a shuttle to the port and back so you can leave your car for free there while your gone.

The Residence Inn is newer and very nice too.

If you go on line sometimes you can get a special price at the hotels.

Be sure and tell them you are going to use their shuttle service when you book. When you check in you can sign up for a specific time to rid eit over. Its about a 3 minute drive from the Radisson.

If you make it to the port area early enough (4 p.m.), you'll be able to see the Magic as she sets sail, which could add to the excitement.

Minor correction - Both ships leave the port at 5 pm - Magic on Saturdays, Wonder on Thursdays and Sundays.

There are several very good restaurants, some with outside dining, located right on the channel leading from the port out to the ocean. If you time it right, you can have a nice meal, and perhaps an adult beverage or two, and give the Magic a fitting sendoff. It will also heighten your excitement for your own departure the next day. :cool:

If you are driving in from that far, Id go right to the port and spend the night.Its only about 45-60 minutes from Disney.This way you dont have to get up too early,and your minutes from the port. If you get in early enough, you can have dinner at one of the restauants on the water, (Rustys, Fishlips,Grills)and watch the Magic leave. She departs at 5pm most of the time.Every once in a while shes a little late.

As far as hotels, theres the Radisson, Country Inn Suites, just to name a few. We prefer Country Inn, since it has a free breakfast, and a shuttle package, and its the closest hotel to the port.You can leave your car, and theyll drive you to the port, and pick you up.

Unless you plan on spending time at one of the Disney parks,or want to be able to say I stayed at Disney, I cant see a reason to drive to Disney then the port when the port is that close.

We cruised on the Magic last year early Dec. We flew in early evening on the Friday, rented a car and stayed in downtown Disney. It was nice walk around and see the shops as downtown Disney was open pretty late. Next morning it was up and on the road by 9am, a stop for a leisurely breakfast, a stop for some cruise essentials at Walmart, drop the car off in Port Canaveral, get the free shuttle to the port and on the ship by 12:30pm. It worked out great.

I agree with the above posters. We stayed at the Radisson Resort on Port Canaveral and we were very pleased. There is a cost savings by leaving your car there, and I'm sure the Radisson is less expensive than most of the Disney resorts. But, I'll bet after a 10 hour drive from Louisiana you'll pass by Disney World and wish you could stop.

If money were no object, I'd stay at a "monorail" resort, eat at California Grill, 'Ohana, or Narcoossee's (or Victoria & Albert's if we were kidless!!), tour on the monorails (including the Epcot one), and watch the fireworks from atop the Contemporary. Before heading out the next day, I'd go by Kona Cafe at the Polynesian for some Tonga Toast!!

Well, one can dream!

We are flying in from Louisiana on the 13th and staying at the Hyatt Airport Orlando. They have a Disney Cruise line crew member in the lobby to get you to the port if you purchase the ground transportation option. I probably would not stay at Disney for just 1 night pre-cruise. There are several hotels near the port based on other posts that I have read. You are braver than I am driving that far.

Particularly because you'll get there in the evening in your own car, I'd go straight to the port. Hotel rooms and meals will be less expensive, and you can probably snag one of the park and cruise deals. I can't think of a single logical reason to stay at Disney the night before. Rusty's has good food and is reasonable in cost.

• 1 month later...

I too would head straight to the port! Use the AVIS rental Car one way from airport and drop off next door at Radison Resort at the Port. Use the extra day to check out the Kennedy Space Center, it's truly remarkable for all ages. I wish we allowed more time for this visit.

It was grand to take the shuttle direct to the ship and be one of the first to board the ship the next day.

Happy Sailiing:cool:

Archived