Buying Prescriptions..Issues with Customs or Security on Carnival?

CapeFearCruiser

I plan on buying a few prescriptions while on my cruise next week. I was reading a thread in the Belize forum that a few people had issues with customs bringing back Ambien and Xanax and then were later flagged at each and every custom stop.

I have prescription bottles for vicodin (I had back surgery and need more) and valium but do not have an "up to date prescription". I did read you can buy narcotics at certain pharmacies. I also am buying Retin-A.

Has anyone had a bad experience bringing back their prescriptions on board? I planned on just bringing my bottles to the port and filling them. I thought that way it would be less of a hassle. I do not want to get into a mess with customs though.

Thanks,

Tara

Thank you both for your advice.

I have used narcotics from Mexico before and never had an issue. I will be careful and have been researching reputable establishments. Is there anyone who can answer the actual question I asked in regards to their experience with customs or security on ships? Again I have prescription bottles but they are not up to date.

Thanks so much,

Tara

First of all Vicodin (hydrocodone) does not exist here period. Trust me as someone who has had surgery, a ruptured kidney as well as assorted dental surgeries all that merited hydrocodone or much stronger.

The lady in Belize that gets wonderful reviews, used to work at Walmart in New Orleans, she is a complete fraud. I was shocked at how shamelessly she misrepresented the medications that even a cashier in a pharmacy would know better. She sells hydro-codeine which is a behind the counter drug in most U.K. countries. I was most dubious about the quality of all medications I saw in Belize and the country of origin was never marked.

In Mexico the number of controlled substances are tightly controlled, very limited and very few pharmacies are licensed to sell them, two in Cozumel out of 50+(?). Valium is available, manufactured by Roche and does require a prescription and again only two locations may have it.

U.S. customs regulations will allow 50 doses of any controlled substance, Canadian ACC for example. For other medications, as long as they are for personal consumption and usually a ninety day supply is fine. I have never heard of them counting or taking away any one's blood pressure meds. A newer to the market drug like Ambien won't be found in Mexico. Mexico so tightly controls any drug of potential illicit use (potential for abuse) few pharmacies and few wholesalers will stock them.

About the only narcotic available in Mexico is Tylenol 3 and it too requires a prescription and is expensive, almost $2 dollars per capsule. As someone with chronic pain issues who has no access to U.S. doctors nor pharmacies, I buy all my medications in Mexico and in Canada. I would trust medicine manufactured in Mexico far more than stuff made in China and India. Where do you think Walmart gets their medications and the non-presciption antihistamine I take for allergies now comes from India whether I buy it in the U.S., Canada or Mexico.

The Retinol is widely available everywhere and is dirt cheap in generic form. It sells for a few dollars a tube, but the tourist shops will mark it up to $15 to $25 dollars.

You should have no problem with the ships provided you are only bringing a reasonable quantity, not shopping for the neighborhood.

Thank you Jerry!

You are very informative. After having a lumbar fusion 4 years ago my back pain has never gone away. I am not a huge fan of painkillers but I am a very active person and need help once in a while. The doctors here will prescribe me 10 pills at a time and the cost is ridiculous for that.

I will look in Belize as well but try to avoid the woman you are talking about. I read many threads on a woman in Belize who is reputable so I think I know who you are talking about. I am going to bring my bottles just in case I find something to fill them up but at least they sell Retin A.

Do you remember which 2 places you recommend in Cozumel to purchase from?

I have read about the American Pharmacy. I would rather find the Retin cheaper elsewhere though. I plan on going off the beaten path so if it a place that is reputable is further out that is fine.

Thanks again for all your knowledge and answering my question. I very much appreciate it.

Tara:D

Both Vicodin and Valium are controlled substances in the US. Having possession of these drugs without a prescription is against the law. You will be arrested for having these without a prescription. Also, Ambien is a very powerful hypnotic that should only be used under a doctor's supervision. I urge you to see a doctor as self-prescribing is dangerous.

As the above poster stated, counterfeit drugs is Mexico are abundant and may contain toxic ingredients. Also, these drugs are not bevy to the heavy scrutiny of the FDA in the US. These drugs are not regulated to the same standards as those found in America and there is no way to verify authenticity.

Prescription drug abuse is a serious and growing problem in the US. Please seek help if you believe you have become dependent on prescription narcotics. Thank you for reading.

Some of the responses here are close to comical if the topic was not so serious. Controlled substances barely exist in Mexico and are as tightly controlled and regulated as in the States.

I spent four hours this week in two drug stores dealing with true professionals to special order an anti-nausea medication for my wife directly from the manufacturer, GlaxoSmithKline, every heard of them? Since it is expensive, it is not a stock item here. My wife was discharged from a hospital in the States with a prescription which has five remaining refills. What we were finally able to obtain, in the States, generic made in India has proven unsatisfactory to the previous quality provided in the brand name product. The cost here for the brand name was the same $10 dollars per pill as the made in India generic version.

I will continue to trust my life more to medicine made in the Americas, than what is imported from China and India. At least the Indian medication was FDA inspected as it was stamped, does not meet FDA standards for rapid release.

Counterfeits drugs, you run the same risk in the States if you try to buy prescriptions at flea markets or street vendors. Many people buy prescription medication in Canada and in Mexico as that is their only financial option. About 85% of the prescription drugs retailed in the States are imported, the vast majority from India and China. Do you think the FDA inspects all those laboratories?

Uninformed self medicating is never a good idea, but don't condemn a health care system that you have not experienced. Mexico may lack some of the standards that the U.S. once had, but their health care is improving while the U.S. continues to decline.

Don't even think of asking for illicit drugs here, they don't exist.

Thank you Jerry. You couldn't have put it better.

Pibbman I am not addicted to narcotics and do not even enjoy taking them. You should really research our own government and what the FDA lets slide through.

Again I appreciate all our your help. I have returned from my cruise and did not have any issues with the prescriptions. Was a success.

Glad to be back!

Tara

• 3 months later...

Do you find the prices at the pier pharmacy to differ significantly from those in town? I'd rather spend my time at the beach of course. :) But will do what it takes to get my estrogen while I'm there. Suggestions?

Thanks.

• 3 months later...
Thank you Jerry. You couldn't have put it better.

Pibbman I am not addicted to narcotics and do not even enjoy taking them. You should really research our own government and what the FDA lets slide through.

Again I appreciate all our your help. I have returned from my cruise and did not have any issues with the prescriptions. Was a success.

Glad to be back!

Tara

Tara, Did you get the Retin-A? Did you have to go very far off the main pathways?

FYI...not everyone has insurance in the US and the prescriptions costs are out of line...and if you are going to say that if you can go on a cruise, you can afford private insurance, please consider that (1) if you have a pre-existing condition (cancer, heart), no private insurer will write you up (2) if you have pre-existing and can even find a company to write you up, it's more expensive than a European cruise (3) Prescription refills, even with insurance are getting ridiculous. I paid, after my insurance, $87 for a drug that I take. If you don't have insurance, you either don't take the drug or consider purchasing in Mexico or Canada. There are monthly bus trips on chartered buses from US to Canada to get their prescriptions filled. These have been going on for several years because the seniors can't afford prescriptions. My Mom pays over $200 for her prescriptions on her $820 social security check.

2 years ago for a neighbor and she said they worked fine. Said that they would be well over $1000 w/ insurance.No customs problem. We order from Canadian pharmacy in Fl. and they can come from Turkey, Germany, New Zealand or elsewhere and they are in the same packaging as the local pharmacy sells us at outrageous prices. Generally we get a 3 month supply for what we would pay w/ insurance for 2 months. I hope to restock in either Cozumel or Belize on our next cruise.

• 11 months later...

I have a quick question...my husband needs some medication filled, as it cost nearly $10 a pill here for one, and $5 for another WITH insurance. Do we just need to bring his up to date pill bottles...or a Drs script? Oh and we will be on RCCL....

i know you are already back from your cruise glad it went well. We have bought ambien from a belize drugtore and the lady who runs it is married to a belize guy and her mom ill sells real este in new orleans area have spoke to her many times and like was stated no problems if amount is for personal us selling lol. :)

I have a quick question...my husband needs some medication filled, as it cost nearly $10 a pill here for one, and $5 for another WITH insurance. Do we just need to bring his up to date pill bottles...or a Drs script? Oh and we will be on RCCL....

The NEW law is that you need a doctor's prescription for even antibiotics. Some pharmacies follow the law stricter than others.

The NEW actual law is that you need a doctor's prescription for even antibiotics. This said some pharmacies adhere strictly to the law and some don't.

• 4 months later...

I have been to Mexico many times, and I do have a good prescription plan. However, we always go to Sam's club or Walmart to buy specific things, such as my husband's cholestrol med, which, even with good coverage is expensive. We save a few hundred dollars every time we go. Also, you can buy Soma over the counter- it's a muscle relaxer ( bad backs.)If you're careful and purchasing at Walmart or Sam's, you're buying the same thing as in the States.

Archived