SF Hotel

smoothdancer

I also used Priceline to bid on a 3* hotel in the Fisherman's Wharf area -- April timeframe.

Some of the folks on my roll call got the Sheraton at Fisherman's Wharf for $85, but I had to go up to $107.

It's still a pretty good price as their web site shows their rooms at $189 and up.

Good luck!

What date are you looking at....perhaps there is an event or race that day. Give me the date and I will check for you. Also I usually have a hard time winning Fishermans Wharf until a few weeks prior to the date I need.

Dosi,

We are looking at April 15, checking out April 17th....

We are flying in from CT on Friday, yikes...after work...(late...arriving around midnight, and with a 3 hour time difference, 3:00 AM east coast time), enjoy the sights on Saturday, then board Celebrity for a 7 day Calif coast cruise on Sunday.

I wanted a hotel in the"center", so we could have a full day on Saturday to enjoy SF.... I really do not want to go below 3*...OK I know we will only sleep in the room, but still I know I will be unhappy in 2*

So far here are my plans.... (all in a day) Gonna take the tour of the prision island, poke around the wharf and pier, ride the cable cars...OK few pictures on the Golden Gate bridge, and then China town for dinner....If we can fit in the wax museum..... OMG.... Get to the ship around 2:00ish or so ....That is so husband can relax from the one day adventure in SF.... The cruise has only one sea day, the rest are ports.... Relax..forget it!

Are you from the area? Am I being so unreasonable to fit this all in???? I know, doing the tourist stuff, but hell, thats what I am!!

My husband owns a dining website that does critiques on port of calls resturants.... We do need to have time to photograph resturants,(me) and write the review (him)....

Damn, did I overload you with facts??? Sure do appreciate any help you could give me.

Janet

Janet,

We're on the same cruise! Sailing out of San Francisco on the Mercury, April 17th! Please join our roll call ..... we have some fun folks over there. Come over, please ....we need you! :) Here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=2757647#post2757647

Doris,

Can I call upon you for more advice? I'm staying one day post-cruise which will be April 24th. I understand there is an event that day near Fisherman's Wharf. With that in mind, is it still best to wait closer to the date to bid on Priceline?

I think I will take your advice and book something that I can cancel. If I stay out by the airport to save money on a hotel, I'll be so far away from sightseeing areas, right?

Okay, enough bugging you about MY vacation.

See you over on our roll call, Janet. :D

Diane

First of all, Janet I would LOVE to see your DH's website. Could you email me the site address? My email addy is in my personal info under bio or something like that.

Okay, I grew up right near SF and we go to visit often. It has been my finding that the best prices for hotels in the Fishermans Wharf area are USUALLY available four weeks or less before your arrival date. HOWEVER if there is a big event that may not be the case. Additionally sometimes if the hotels know by prior history that it is a slow period they may release rooms sooner. It is never too early to bid on PL as long as you have the self control to set a limit and stick to it!! (I have problems with this myself). You could bid $75 today and for every three days up til your cruise. It won't hurt anything but can lead to frustration. If I know I have to have a certain area I often start out early and am willing to pay a little more to have the security of knowing I have a room booked. Look at the hotels actual websites to see what they are asking for the dates you want. If the prices are crazy high or sold out then you know you will have a tough time.

Another neighborhood you may want to look at for the night after the cruise is Union Square East.....You can usually get a 4* here for around $75 to $85. Parking will add about $40 (yes you heard that right) per night more if you rent a car. USE is walkable from the cruise pier if you are in fairly decent shape and don't have too much luggage. I believe it is about 1 1/2 miles and is completely level.

Janet I think your plan sounds great but I would leave the Wax Museum to the end.....of all the things you want to do I think it is the least important so if you leave it to last and miss it you won't be missing all that much. I believe you can take the cable car to within a block or two of Chinatown so I would recommend incorporating the cable car and dinner into one outing.

Diane you still might want to find out about leaving your luggage (perhaps at the port???) after the cruise and then going on to SFO and spending the night. That would be cheapest. I think that most people attending the blessing of the ships may stay Sat night and not necessarily Sun night. But USE might be a good alternative if you have a hard time getting a room in Fishermans Wharf.

You both might want to check out http://www.sfvisitor.org. They have a free map and coupon package you can send for that has some great discounts like a free meal at the Hard Rock at Pier 39 and a coupons for trips to Alcatraz etc. It also has a really really good map in it.

Okay this is the longest post I have ever written. If either of you have any more questions feel free to email me direct or post here. Good luck!!

HOTEL UPDATE (for those that asked or even care): :D

It was suggested that I wait until closer to travel time to try bidding with Priceline again (night of 4/24/04).

So, just to have a post-cruise accommodation locked in, I booked the Tuscan Inn Fisherman's Wharf which I can cancel if need be. By calling the hotel directly www.tuscaninn.com , the rate was decent at $111. Even on other sites (Travelocity, Orbitz), the least I could find for this hotel was $149. Also, it is the hotel that Celebrity recommends.

Pre-cruise we'll be at the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf and that was $105 through Priceline, as I've mentioned before.

After reviewing the interactive map at www.sfvisitor.org (GREAT site, thanks) it looks like a good location and it gets good ratings on www.tripadvisor.com

Doris, you've been such a BIG help and it's appreciated!

Janet, thanks for joining our roll call -- we're going to have a terrific cruise sailing out under the Golden Gate Bridge. I'd like to see you and Nick's website too! ;)

Thanks for all your help .... Cruise Critics are the best! :)

Diane

Archived