Cave tubing vs ruins?

ARHeath

Hi!

First-timers here and we're torn about what to do in Belize.

We like the idea of seeing some Mayan ruins, but the cave tubing sounds like a fun and unique experience, too. We can't do either of these excursions in any of the other ports on this cruise, as far as I can tell (Carnival Legend, Nov 29 - Belize, Roatan, GC, Cozumel).

Suggestions?

Alison & Renee

If it were me, I'd do cave tubing in Belize and Tulum in Cozumel. My reasoning is this: anywhere you do ruins, it's going to be a long day, unless you do Altun Ha in Belize. It's the only one that's really a half-day excursion.

I've done Altun Ha and while it wasn't bad, any of the other ruins (Lamanai and Xunantunich in Belize, Tulum from Cozumel) look to be much more impressive. I did Altun Ha because it was my only option after mechanical problems on the ship shortened our time in port- we weren't there long enough to do Lamanai (which I'd originally booked) or Xunantunich, and I had already booked/prepaid excursions in Cozumel that I didn't want to try to get refunded on short notice.

If I were planning your cruise, I'd want to see one of the more extensive/impressive ruins while I had the chance. This would mean a long day in either Cozumel or Belize would be a given. It would come down, then, to whether I'd rather do something besides ruins in Belize (such as cave tubing, in your case) or Cozumel. Unless you have something else in Cozumel that you'd rank higher on your list of "want to dos" than cave tubing, I'd say cave tube in Belize and see Tulum when your ship is in Cozumel- just be sure to book that excursion with the cruiseline.

Thanks, SingingPixie!

After a little more research, I'm leaning in the exact same way you suggested, so I'm glad to see your opinion supports what I was thinking.

And, yes... I had read that Tulum should only be done through the ship.

Thanks, again!

Archived