Best Company for Mayan Ruins tours?

TANZYRAGWEED

I would like to see the ruins, what company, combo of excursions etc.

I am also interested in dolphin swims...

If you do any of the ruins, you won't have time to do the dolphin swim.

And while some folks have had good luck with independent companies for the ruins, primarily at Altun Ha, many have had the luck of barely making in back in time to catch the last tender. In fact many ship booked excursions to the ruins have trouble barely making it back. Safest bet for the ruins is use the ship excursions.

From the research I have done the ruins in Cozumel are much larger than in Belize but the tour takes the entire time you are in Cozumel leaving no time for shopping in one of the best shopping areas....if shopping is important to you :)

From the research I have done the ruins in Cozumel are much larger than in Belize but the tour takes the entire time you are in Cozumel :)

For Tulum, you're probably correct. but Tulum is NOT on Cozumel. It can be accessed from Cozumel via a ferry to Playa Del Carmen then a bus/car to the ruins. Then return. So a large portion of your time (maybe 2/3rds) is spent in transit. For San Gervasio, which IS on Cozumel, the ruins are NOT larger than Belize. Touring them will take 2 hours tops via cab from port to ruins and return. These are small ruins in a small area. Plenty of time to shop afterward. However, the hours the park is open are limited. These ruins will give you a sense of coastal Mayan culture, but not as extensive as you would get in Tulum or any of the ruins in Belize.

"Tulum is NOT on Cozumel."

Sorry if I didn't make my comment clear.. I was trying to compare the ruins between Cozumel and Belize and the time it takes in both. I chose the tour in Belize because it was less time allowing more time to see things in Belize. The Cozumel tour took the entire time in port.....both were ship sponsored tours.

I used belize cruise excursions for a Lamanai tour and was able to get there and back with a very good but rushed tour starting at 10am ending at 3pm. it was amazing and i loved it but would have liked more time. our rushing was totally our fault and i can't blame the operators. my friends were very late getting off the boat and insisted we get back 1hr before last tender so it was rushed because we had a late start while having to return at the same time originally intended.

Archived