Millie 10-day

beachfanatic

I was on the cruise with Jaybird from SC - November 16-27. We also had some issues with the MDR food, but liked the buffet breakfast. They had a nice cinema but no newer movies. At-sea day activities were sparse but we found enough to keep us busy. No comedian, and while I like the banjo player and harmonica player, I wasn't impressed with the impressionist. The ship was in good condition (although we did spot some rust that had been just painted over but not chipped and sanded first). The service was excellent.

I second the mention of the Land and Sea to Soufriere tour on St. Lucia - the island is one of the most beautiful I've seen and our tour guide was a font of information. I could have skipped the mud volcano in favor of longer on the catamaran.

Full review with pix on my web site...

• 2 months later...
It's just called "De Palm Island" and is run by De Palm Tours of Aruba. Their web page is http://www.depalm.com/ (we have no connection with them). You may be able to book direct for less but we went through the ship for convenience.

Celebrity offers two different half day excursions there. The first is AR73-DePalm Island Snorkeling Adventure, $72pp:

Visit De Palm Island, Aruba's premier snorkeling site. By air-conditioned motor coach, enjoy a 20-minute ride through Oranjestad. After a 5-minute ferry crossing to the island, you'll be given an orientation of the facilities. After collecting snorkel gear and receiving instructions, enjoy the pristine waters, coral formations, and colorful fish or just sunbathe. At the conclusion of the tour, you will return by ferry and bus to your ship. Please note that your tour includes complimentary snacks and beverages during your stay at De Palm Island.

The second tour looks to be essentially the same, AR10 in the Celebrity brochure, but the description is longer (also "from $72 pp"):

Board your air-conditioned bus for the brief transfer to the ferry landing. It is a short five minute ride across the protected lagoon to the private island. Upon arrival, receive a brief orientation to De Palm Island and its amenities including the Blue Parrotfish Water Park. Then enjoy your free time to snorkel, sunbathe, swim, enjoy the water park and water slides, or maybe even play a game of volley ball or dance a little on the Caribbean and Latin tunes. The island's surrounding waters teem with al sorts of tropical fish. Unlimited beverage and complete lunch buffet are included. Beach chairs and fresh water showers are provided for your convenience. De Palm Island is great for the entire Family! Unlimited food and beverage included. Please note the minimum age to participate is 8 years of age.

They also package a half-day visit to DePalm Island with some other land elements in longer tours. Check the shore excursions listing for your specific cruise to see which combos are offered, depending on time in port.

The resturant, which is on a small pier over a logoon, discreetly throws treats (read leftovers) to the fish so they are quite tame and will follow you around looking for a handout. We saw the largest blue parrotfish we have ever seen anywhere, maybe 40-50 pounds, like a big grouper, on the reef next to the restuarant.

This is clearly not an inexpensive "beach-break" type excursion but we thought it was reasonable value for what we got, and pretty much what was described in the excursions blurb quoted above.

M & J

Here you have some comments of the palm island http://www.welcomearuba.com/de-palm.html

i hope it help you

Alan

Archived