Favorite Restaurant in Majahual/Mahahual

senunit

We are going to be in Costa Maya this January with RCI. My girlfriend and I intend to go to Majahual/Mahahual and hope to find a great place to spend some time in. We'd like to be able to rent some jet ski's nearby and get a massage. In addition, we'd like to have the restaurant be a beachfront with good food and drinks obviously :D

Any and all suggestions would be of great help here because this is our first time to Costa Maya! Thank you in advance!!!:)

This is a great port to do just what you are talking about. My DW got two massages while we were there, several places to rent Jet Skies, and several good places to eat/drink. We just started at one and and worked our way to the other end, stopping for drinks, chips, dip along the way. We had lunch (do not remember the name of the place) right on the beach. Lobster tacos and beer. They were great. If you are there when only one ship in port, you can find a place to sit on the beach just about anywhere you want.

You can see some photos here http://photobucket.com/costamaya09

Have a great cruise.

This is a great port to do just what you are talking about. My DW got two massages while we were there, several places to rent Jet Skies, and several good places to eat/drink. We just started at one and and worked our way to the other end, stopping for drinks, chips, dip along the way. We had lunch (do not remember the name of the place) right on the beach. Lobster tacos and beer. They were great. If you are there when only one ship in port, you can find a place to sit on the beach just about anywhere you want.

You can see some photos here http://photobucket.com/costamaya09

Have a great cruise.

Thank you SO much for such a great summary. We are really looking forward to it and wanted to know how itd be in Majahual!

Stayed down in Mahahual (as it is spelled now) just last week. The Malecon (cement walk way that stretches from one end of town to the other) is along the beach. The restaurants here are a little more "touristy", but still good. More expensive by Mahahual standards. At the south end of the Malecon (I think that's right) is the 40 Cannones Hotel. Good food, decent prices. There is another one further south, but you have to walk down the road to get to it, as the malecon doesn't go that far, so it may not be handy. They have specials every day that are cheap, good and plentiful, but I am sorry, I don't remember the name of that one. HOWEVER, if you really want authentic mexican food, and want to know where the locals (as well as the local ex-pats hang out), go inland a block. One block off of the malecon is the area that becomes even less expensive and more authentic. There is a little restaurant/bar called "100% Agave", owned and operated by a very kind, nice man we call "Don Fernando" (yes, his name is Fernando). Just to give you an idea of how inexpensive it is, my friend and I stopped in there the first night. We had 3 Frozen Margerita's (very good), 2 cerveza's and 3 Rum and Coke's in total. We also had a meal each. The total of the bill was $24 Canadian... need I say more? They also take the time to teach you things, like the sauces, what they are used for, what they are called, etc. I loved it there. Be aware that a number of restaurants on the Malecon have two diff. menu's. One is the local's menu, the other is the Gringo's menu. There is a difference. I noticed that even when I hung with the local ex-pats, we got the local's menu, which was probably 20 to 30% cheaper. Ya just gotta roll with the punches!;) !00% Agave is just north of the soccer field, one block off of the beach/malecon.

Stayed down in Mahahual (as it is spelled now) just last week. The Malecon (cement walk way that stretches from one end of town to the other) is along the beach. The restaurants here are a little more "touristy", but still good. More expensive by Mahahual standards. At the south end of the Malecon (I think that's right) is the 40 Cannones Hotel. Good food, decent prices. There is another one further south, but you have to walk down the road to get to it, as the malecon doesn't go that far, so it may not be handy. They have specials every day that are cheap, good and plentiful, but I am sorry, I don't remember the name of that one. HOWEVER, if you really want authentic mexican food, and want to know where the locals (as well as the local ex-pats hang out), go inland a block. One block off of the malecon is the area that becomes even less expensive and more authentic. There is a little restaurant/bar called "100% Agave", owned and operated by a very kind, nice man we call "Don Fernando" (yes, his name is Fernando). Just to give you an idea of how inexpensive it is, my friend and I stopped in there the first night. We had 3 Frozen Margerita's (very good), 2 cerveza's and 3 Rum and Coke's in total. We also had a meal each. The total of the bill was $24 Canadian... need I say more? They also take the time to teach you things, like the sauces, what they are used for, what they are called, etc. I loved it there. Be aware that a number of restaurants on the Malecon have two diff. menu's. One is the local's menu, the other is the Gringo's menu. There is a difference. I noticed that even when I hung with the local ex-pats, we got the local's menu, which was probably 20 to 30% cheaper. Ya just gotta roll with the punches!;) !00% Agave is just north of the soccer field, one block off of the beach/malecon.

Thank you, Soapstop, for taking time out to give such a great explanation. I have taken note of all that you have said and intend to check it out all out. I thought Mahahual was the cheapest, instead I learned something new once again here on CC. Thanks again!

One block off of the malecon is the area that becomes even less expensive and more authentic. There is a little restaurant/bar called "100% Agave", owned and operated by a very kind, nice man we call "Don Fernando" (yes, his name is Fernando). !00% Agave is just north of the soccer field, one block off of the beach/malecon.

Yumm!! I'm so there in January:cool: My kind of place! THanks for the tip Soapstop!:)

You are very welcome. I hope your experience is as good as mine was. Don Fernando is such a nice guy. I went down there to complete my Open Water Certification (Scuba). Did this at a PADI certified place called Dream Time Dive Resort. If anybody is in to Scuba, this is THE place. They are so safety conscious it almost hurts, but it is a very comfortable feeling, secure, absolutely fantastic. By the by, IF you ever have the time, and are in the area for longer than a 4 hour stop over, can I suggest a little trip? If you are in Mahahual on the weekend, take a trip down to Xcalak, to a little restaurant called The Leaky Palapa. Restaurant owned by a couple of Canadian Gals. Only open on the weekend. The food is more expensive by Mahahual standards, but cheap by Canadian standards. Presentation is incredible, the taste unforgettable. It's a bit of a drive, so I don't recommend for short stop overs. In any case, hope you all have a GREAT time!!!!!

We took a cab from Costa Maya to Mahahual back in April. This was the perfect day. It was not crowded at all and the reef blocks the waves, so the ocean is very calm. Lots of places to get cheap massages. We ate right on the beach at a place called El Delphin. The best salsa we've ever tasted. Our lunch was much cheaper than the restaurant at the port.

We took a cab from Costa Maya to Mahahual back in April. This was the perfect day. It was not crowded at all and the reef blocks the waves, so the ocean is very calm. Lots of places to get cheap massages. We ate right on the beach at a place called El Delphin. The best salsa we've ever tasted. Our lunch was much cheaper than the restaurant at the port.

We are definitely set on going to Mahaual! Sounds like a great time!

We ate at El Capitan Mono and ate on the beach. No reservations necessary (we were the only ship in port) and barkers up and down the "street" were trying to get you to stop and eat. Food was very good and different from the TexMex we get in the states. Tacos (4) were $7 I think and made with a small soft tortilla. Queasidillas were $8 if I remember right.

One thing I found in most ports is the farther you walk away from the usual touristy crap, the better the quality.

After a certain point it becomes beyond annoying to constantly be barked at by commissioned workers.

If you are looking for a truly classy experience at beyond reasonable prices keep reading... prefer taco bell??? well... errr...

Just a short walk past the others you see the Nacional Beach Club and Bungalows ....At first sight I noticed it stood out.

You walk past the small charming infinity pool into the restaurant. You are serenaded by the soft recorded Brazilian guitar of Antonio Carlos Jobim, instead of La Cucaracha

You are then greeted by Evan and Ana and proceed to have the freshest and one of the best shrimp Ceveche I have had (and that is a statement)

as well as full plates (take Evans suggestions). The prices on the menu are not in USD... relax... :-)

After having meals that I was less than impressed with on RCL, this was refreshing!!

I rarely write reviews... I suspect you will be compelled to do so as well if you check this place out

Peace / Out

Harry Jacobson

• 2 weeks later...

Just came back off the Jewell and had never been to Costa Maya before so we were just looking for a relaxing beach day. As we walked from the taxi/bus drop off and got to the beach, it became obvious that lots of folks were selling beads, blankets and massages so we decided to walk up the beach (turned right facing the water) to find a less crowded area.

Walked a couple hundred yards almost to where a pier sticks out in the water and found a wonderful little bar/restaurant with beach, loungers and umbrellas. The name is "Nohochkay" but the best way to find it is to look for the Hobie Cat boats on the beach in front. I think they rent them out there. Beach area and water were really nice, food and margaritas were out of this world. Beer was $2, margs were $3.95 and huge, fresh made fish tacos for $1.50! Anyway, I was impressed and glad that we took a little walk to get away from the crowds and salespeople.

So, when you got off the ship you took a cab to what beach? A quiet beach day sounds good to me.:)

When you arrive, you will walk through a shopping area built for the cruise ships. You will see an area to exit where there are buses and vans waiting to take you to the town, about 2 miles away. That is where the beach is. The town has 2 main dirt streets, it is not built up like Cozumel or Cancun. Very laid back. You will be dropped off on the main street right next to the beach area.

There are numerous vendors around the beach and I found that the prices were about the same as in the shopping area near the ship. As with everywhere in Mexico, even the nicer shops will discount things if you haggle with them. I was glad we did most of our shopping near the ship so we didn't have to deal with carrying stuff back from the town.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

sensunit and soapstop....

I found 100% Agave!!! and Fernando!!!

soapstop..Fernando remembered you guys...I owe you a tequila:D

Img_0152.jpg

Img_0154.jpg

Img_0155.jpgIMG_0153.jpg

The taco lechons were fantastic and I finally got to try the Leon and Montejo beers. Plus he gave me a shot of his tequila (because you guys drank a lot of it). And filled a liter water bottle with some for me.

This is a great place!!

Crew

• 7 months later...

Sorry, forgot to check back on this thread. Fantastic!!! Thanks so much for posting pics of your visit. My buddy's pics didn't turn out. Ahhh, Don Fernando. Love that guy. I had forgotten to mention that they drink a beer concoction that has different spices in it. I had a sip of a friend of mine who lives down there. Met him on line when I was looking at property down there. He came out a couple of nights with his wife and showed us around. Anyhoo, can't remember the name of the beer concoction. Was definately a different taste. Looks like you were enjoying yourself!

Thanks again.

Robin

Sorry, forgot to check back on this thread. Fantastic!!! Thanks so much for posting pics of your visit. My buddy's pics didn't turn out. Ahhh, Don Fernando. Love that guy. I had forgotten to mention that they drink a beer concoction that has different spices in it. I had a sip of a friend of mine who lives down there. Met him on line when I was looking at property down there. He came out a couple of nights with his wife and showed us around. Anyhoo, can't remember the name of the beer concoction. Was definately a different taste. Looks like you were enjoying yourself!

Thanks again.

Robin

Hey..Robin! I'm back again in May next year. Will remember the beer concoction. We may also try to get into Nohoch Kay since Jaime there used to have a great seafood place in Playa del Carmen. But definitiely hitting Don Fernando for a drink or two.

Crew

100% Agave is on the top of my "COsta Maya" info page in my cruise organizer. I can't wait to go. I'm not an adventurous eater though and Mexican food isn't high on my list as it has lots of onions and peppers in it, which i hate..... but when in Rome... I'm determined to experience local cuisine on every one of our ports. I may not like it, but i'm gonna try it :)

100% Agave is on the top of my "COsta Maya" info page in my cruise organizer. I can't wait to go. I'm not an adventurous eater though and Mexican food isn't high on my list as it has lots of onions and peppers in it, which i hate..... but when in Rome... I'm determined to experience local cuisine on every one of our ports. I may not like it, but i'm gonna try it :)

He has a variety of items on the menu. But if nothing looks pleasing to you, tell him, he might be able to substitute or leave stuff off. Otherwise, just have one of his margaritas (or the beer concoction if you're game) and then head over to the malecon and check out Tapas menu or La Luna de Plata.

Hey..Robin! I'm back again in May next year. Will remember the beer concoction. We may also try to get into Nohoch Kay since Jaime there used to have a great seafood place in Playa del Carmen. But definitiely hitting Don Fernando for a drink or two.

Crew

Hey "Crew". Back again in May? Aww, I'm envious. Where's "Nohoch Kay"? The pics you posted just transported me back to my visit. Again, thanks for the post. If at least you can't get there, living vicariously through other peoples trips/pics gets you away for a little "mini-mind" vacation.

Your advice regarding Don Fernando's food is spot on. I overheard the one night, someone there who was afraid of too many spices and he made sure the meal was tamer for them. He will look after you. He also owns that little store across the street from 100% Agave. We bought ice there when we were packing for an excursion. He is very careful with his ice, regarding filtering and purification. Hope you all have a great time.

Archived