Sapphire Princess embarkation port: San Pedro or Long Beach?

merela

On the Princess website, it said the embarkation port for Sapphire Princess' Mexican Riviera itinerary is Los Angeles, CA. But there are 2 cruise terminals in Los Angeles.

Can someone tell me whether the embarkation port is the port in San Pedro or the port in Long Beach?

TIA.

On the Princess website, it said the embarkation port for Sapphire Princess' Mexican Riviera itinerary is Los Angeles, CA. But there are 2 cruise terminals in Los Angeles.

Can someone tell me whether the embarkation port is the port in San Pedro or the port in Long Beach?

TIA.

The complete name is The Port of Los Angeles World Cruise Center in San Pedro.

I believe that the only line actually using Long Beach is Carnival.

• 4 weeks later...
Do you fly into Long Beach airport or LAX? I've flown to/from both, but not for cruises. Does Princess shuttle pick up at Long Beach?

Long Beach is closer to San Pedro, not to mention being a much smaller airport its MUCH easier to get out out of then LAX.

The Princess website is correct. The Port of Los Angeles is in San Pedro, not Long Beach; Long Beach is a completely separate port albeit closer to San Pedro than LAX. You can fly into Long Beach to get to the Port of Los Angeles but it's usually more expensive and there are far fewer flight choices.

You would have a lot more flight choices for LAX and there are Super Shuttle serves between LAX and San Pedro.

Long Beach Airport is closer, and there is Fixed Rate cab between airport and cruise terminals. However flight choices are limited and usually more expensive than LAX.

Edited by nho9504

Does anybody know why Princess doesn't use the Carnival Long Beach pier? I know Long Beach can only handle one ship at a time, but Carnival only uses it on Monday, Friday, and Sunday. The Saphire could easily use it on Saturdays. My only guess is that there are probably longer cruises, 14+ nighters on Princess that might cause too many ships to be in Long Beach at the same time. It really is a shame because cruising from Long Beach is miles more beautiful then ugly San Pedro.

Do you fly into Long Beach airport or LAX? I've flown to/from both, but not for cruises. Does Princess shuttle pick up at Long Beach?

We are doing both. I was able to get into Long Beach but could not find a convienent flight out. So booked an LAX flight home. We are having my brother pick us up to get to the cruise terminal but will have to get the shuttle to get to LAX (because LAX is way out of his way going home).

Edited by chasetf

Does anybody know why Princess doesn't use the Carnival Long Beach pier? I know Long Beach can only handle one ship at a time, but Carnival only uses it on Monday, Friday, and Sunday. The Saphire could easily use it on Saturdays. My only guess is that there are probably longer cruises, 14+ nighters on Princess that might cause too many ships to be in Long Beach at the same time. It really is a shame because cruising from Long Beach is miles more beautiful then ugly San Pedro.

Hi , I live here in the Long Beach/ LA area. Princess has never used Long Beach , only San Pedro. The San Pedro facility is much better staffed, etc. It is part of a much bigger port area (it is huge for cargo ships) , one of the largest in the US. And Long Beach is fine but is it a smaller port facility, and Carnival is contracted to use that port. Some years ago there use to be a naval shipyard between the San Pedro and the Long Beach ports, but that has since closed. Now the Port of Los Angeles takes up a really large area there.

The eariler poster is right Long Beach Airport is much closer and way less busy , but flights are limited to some areas, but I much prefer flying through the Long Beach airport. LAX can be a real zoo , and it a large airport, and sometimes connecting flights can be a problem trying to get from one terminal to another, so if you have a choice , Long Beach is better. Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Cori

Hi , I live here in the Long Beach/ LA area. Princess has never used Long Beach , only San Pedro. The San Pedro facility is much better staffed, etc. It is part of a much bigger port area (it is huge for cargo ships) , one of the largest in the US. And Long Beach is fine but is it a smaller port facility, and Carnival is contracted to use that port. Some years ago there use to be a naval shipyard between the San Pedro and the Long Beach ports, but that has since closed. Now the Port of Los Angeles takes up a really large area there.

The eariler poster is right Long Beach Airport is much closer and way less busy , but flights are limited to some areas, but I much prefer flying through the Long Beach airport. LAX can be a real zoo , and it a large airport, and sometimes connecting flights can be a problem trying to get from one terminal to another, so if you have a choice , Long Beach is better. Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Cori

I get all that, but Carnival Corp invested much of its own money into the terminal in Long Beach. I wonder what stops them from moving Princess operations to Long Beach as well. I'm just not a fan of the San Pedro cruise port. Doesn't make for a very nice sailaway when you have a bunch of ugly container ships to look at.

I agree about Long Beach airport though. By far the easiest airport to navigate that I've ever been in.

TIA.

Carnival cruise ships use the Long Beach port exclusively. Princess and all others use the terminals in San Pedro.

I've noticed on the LB cruise calendar (on the Port of San Pedro website) that the Amsterdam is berthing at the Carnival port twice in December. And on both days, there isn't any cruiseships scheduled for the Port of LA.

It's only been recently (maybe 2003 or 2004) that Carnival has used LB. On our last Carnival cruise in June 2002, we left from SP.

I get all that, but Carnival Corp invested much of its own money into the terminal in Long Beach. I wonder what stops them from moving Princess operations to Long Beach as well. I'm just not a fan of the San Pedro cruise port. Doesn't make for a very nice sailaway when you have a bunch of ugly container ships to look at.

I agree about Long Beach airport though. By far the easiest airport to navigate that I've ever been in.

Since many of the ports that cruise ships dock at are commercial/container ports, why does it matter? I just look at the bridge, look out to sea and enjoy the ship. I'm there for only a short while before sailing.

Long Beach is definitely a nicer airport but if it's more expensive and less convenient to get a flight, it's not a good choice no matter how nice it is. Orange County is just as nice, perhaps even nicer. It doesn't make any difference if you can't find a reasonable airfare or a timely flight home. Heck, I would love to fly out of SNA all the time but I can't get non-stop flights from there to BOS or FLL, for instance and it's more expensive. Thus, it's rarely an option.

Since many of the ports that cruise ships dock at are commercial/container ports, why does it matter? I just look at the bridge, look out to sea and enjoy the ship. I'm there for only a short while before sailing.

Long Beach is definitely a nicer airport but if it's more expensive and less convenient to get a flight, it's not a good choice no matter how nice it is. Orange County is just as nice, perhaps even nicer. It doesn't make any difference if you can't find a reasonable airfare or a timely flight home. Heck, I would love to fly out of SNA all the time but I can't get non-stop flights from there to BOS or FLL, for instance and it's more expensive. Thus, it's rarely an option.

Well I would put San Pedro as the port with the most container ships than all the ports I've sailed out of. This includes Long Beach, San Diego, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, and San Juan. I really enjoy sailaways and love getting great pictures but leaving from San Pedro is always a little boring and a lot less scenic.

Sailing out of San Diego kinda spoils ya;)

I'd have to agree... the two times we sailed out of San Diego were great. One year, they were holding the Red Bull Air Races and it was fascinating to watch before we sailed.

That being said, I have no problems with San Pedro. After all... we're leaving on a cruise! :)

We have returned from our cruise happily.

The reason I posted the question in the first place was because I have boarded Princess ships at both terminals before for the same Mexican Riviera itinerary. In 2004, we boarded the Star Princess for the Mexican Riviera from Long Beach. I still remember the Queen Mary parked not far away from our ship. We had to enter a dome shape structure for check-ins.

All our subsequent Mexican Riviera sailings on Princess departed out of San Pedro.

Well I would put San Pedro as the port with the most container ships than all the ports I've sailed out of. This includes Long Beach, San Diego, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, and San Juan. I really enjoy sailaways and love getting great pictures but leaving from San Pedro is always a little boring and a lot less scenic.
Most of the ports that Princess sails out of other than from the U.S. are commercial or container ports. The list is too long to enumerate. I have many photos of sailaways with huge derricks, containers, freighters, etc. Since most Princess cruises sail out of ports other than in the U.S., it's safe to say that many Princess cruises (overall) embark or dock at commercial/container ports.

Haven't sailed out of S.D. (yet); maybe some day. I'm not that far away.

• 4 years later...

If you are a true budget traveler and if you have also wondered how you can keep down costs getting to the bargain cruise you were lucky enough to book then this is for you. Needless to say you save parking costs as well as fuel costs,but this way of doing things is only for the hearty (or poverty stricken)

Let me begin by saying this strange but cheap plan will apply only to those going to the port of Long Beach or the port of Los Angeles in San Pedro from southern California. However with enough time and effort this might encourage some others to try public transportation in other areas.

My sister and I (both “of a certain age”) just returned from a 4 night cruise on Princess out of San Pedro. The port of Long beach is a bit easier. Two items worth mentioning 1,this was a short cruise 2,so the necessity of traveling light wasn't a problem.

Now here are the mechanics of our trip. The cost from my house to the ship was $2.60.We used 4 public buses,senior day passes,and it does take time, just under 4 hours.

First bus #91 one block from my house, to PCH at the Dana point harbor,our pass was $1.50 for the combined bus to Dana and the #1 bus to Long Beach. This is about a 2 hour ride but stays along the coast and is quite lovely. The end stop is by the Long Beach Veterans hospital. A short walk takes you to the bus stop where almost all the buses go to the Long Beach transit mall. The next pass was $1.10 and paid for both the #91 bus and the #142 bus. Buses 91,92,93 etc all go there.

The next bus is the #142 commuter express which gets you to the port with a short walk. (the Acapulco

restaurant is on the right and is a landmark for the stop you want for the cruise terminal.

We got to the ship checked in and were eating lunch by 12:30 pm.

So brave voyagers any one ready to take the plunge and use public transit to your next cruise?

TIA.