Camera Fees in St Petersburg????

pj-atsea

Somewhere on these boards I read something about camera fees in St Petersburg. Does anyone have any info on this? Are you not allowed to take photos in Russia? Maybe I misunderstood the thread but perhaps someone can help me. Thanks

You can take pictures outside any sight without a fee. Only the person with the camera pays the fee and it is for taking pictures inside.

Hermitage

Photo US$4 Video US$9

Peterhof Grand Palace

Photo US$4 Video US$8

Church of the Spilled Blood

Photo US$2 Video US$4

St Isaac's Cathedral

Photo US$2 Video US$4

There may be other charges depending on the sights you are visiting. If you are using a private service, check with them for up-to-date 2005 fees. RCL may include these fees in their tour prices. You can call the RCL shore excursion staff to find out. Hope this helps . . .

Thanks. But do you mean you pay per photo or just to take all the photos you want? And how do they monitor this? Are you charged if you have a camera with you, in case you might use it? Sorry if I ask a lot of questions but I like to know all these things before going.

We paid higher fees than those to Red October this summer. The average for a still camera was around $5 and a video was $9-14. I know that Red October inflated the regular photo fee and we had to pay our guide. In some places we were given a little permit to carry with us. There are little ladies that sit in each room of the major tourist sites, and they monitor photo taking. For the fee, you could take all the photos or video you want, except in restricted areas like the Amber Room of Catherine's Palace. There was never a fee to take outdoor photos anywhere. Also, the church at Peter and Paul Fortress was free- the only one on our tour. Don't carry a camera if you don't want to pay the fee- we had one designated photo taker and left the remaining cameras in the van.

The charge is to take pictures inside and is paid only by the individual taking the pictures. If you have a camera and don't take pictures, you don't need to pay the fee. You can take an unlimited number of pictures inside once you pay the fee. It's a flat fee.

From what I understand (I haven't gone yet . . . going this summer), you pay the fee at each venue and get a ticket showing you have permission to take pictures. There are apparently women who sit by the entrances. If they see you take a picture they may ask you to show them the ticket. I believe I read they can take your camera if you are caught taking pictures without paying the fee.

You might want to do a search on the Baltics board under "picture fees" or something similar to see what cruisers last year reported on the fees. I don't want to mislead you but this is how I understand it works.

The camera fees give your camera a ticket just like your own entrance ticket and it gives the right to take photos or movies inside a particular venue. Only a few of the city's museums or venues require it. The "room ladies" are mostly pensioners who are there to answer questions(but almost none speak English), act as security for the priceless artifacts, and enforce orderly conduct but they will not take your camera. They will require you to go purchase a camera ticket however.

My advice is to buy photo books that many museums and booksstores sell which contain gorgeous professional photos with perfect lighting before visitors are present and leave your camers in the cloakroom unless you really want a few snap shots of friends or your mate. Taking photos without proper lighting will not do them justice. I have tried a dozen times to get good photos of the Jordan Staircase in the Hermitage but they never come out in such a way to show it in fine detail and reveal just how beautiful it is. On the otherhand, some of my snapshots of the Malicite Room look almost as good as the pro photos because the lighting is better with less outside glare. The Amber Room is off limits to camera and even then, the photo books do not show it is its best light despite being stunning. Quality photo books in Russia are good values, a lot less than similar books in the US. St Issac is spectacular and too big to get good interior photos, the light from your flash will be swallowed up by its vast size. If the weather is good and you are a good stair climber, be sure to climb the few hundred steps to the dome from outside for some ot the world's great photo opportunities of the whole city center and river network.

Have a good visit

Stan

• 4 weeks later...

this is what I found at Red October:

Q. What are the photo-video charges at the Museums and Palaces?

A. Regarding photo and video charge - it is not included in our costs since not all people do that and including that in our costs make the price higher. Pleases note that you need Russian rubles to pay for video and photo opportunities inside the museums, or prepay to Red October before your tour. Below are the rates which we could include in your bill if you let us know how many cameras and at which venue you need. We shall give those tickets to your guide in advance.

Photo and video charges per one photo camera or one camcorder:

Peterhof : Grand Palace $8(Video); $5(photo)

Pushkin: Catherine's Palace $8(Video); $5(photo)

Hermitage:$14(Video); $5(photo)

Spilled Blood Church / St Isaac's Cathedral: $4(Video); $4(photo)

Yusupov's Palace: $15(Video); $4(photo)

*Flash photography is not allowed at the Hermitage.

this is what I found at Red October:

Q. What are the photo-video charges at the Museums and Palaces?

A. Regarding photo and video charge - it is not included in our costs since not all people do that and including that in our costs make the price higher. Pleases note that you need Russian rubles to pay for video and photo opportunities inside the museums, or prepay to Red October before your tour. Below are the rates which we could include in your bill if you let us know how many cameras and at which venue you need. We shall give those tickets to your guide in advance.

Photo and video charges per one photo camera or one camcorder:

Peterhof : Grand Palace $8(Video); $5(photo)

Pushkin: Catherine's Palace $8(Video); $5(photo)

Hermitage:$14(Video); $5(photo)

Spilled Blood Church / St Isaac's Cathedral: $4(Video); $4(photo)

Yusupov's Palace: $15(Video); $4(photo)

*Flash photography is not allowed at the Hermitage.

The actual fee is 100 rubles for still cameras in the Hermitage which at current exchange rate is $3.44, and video camera are 350 Rubles ($12.06)

The other fees are similarly inflated so save a few dollars and buy the camera ticket when you get there.

There are a few restrictions on photos: A lot of commercial businesses do not allow photos of their interiors, photos of the metros are prohibited but since digital cameras are getting so small, a lot of people sneak photos. There is a photo book of metro(subway) interiors that is a real treat. Some of the photos are spectacular.

Stan

Archived