Just off Legend - thanks everyone

ReadyTwoGo

As a first time cruiser I want to thank everyone on this board for all of the useful information. I have enjoyed reading all of the tips and reviews the past few weeks as we prepared for our trip.

We were on the Legend for Thanksgiving week and had a terrific time. "We" are my wife and I and two 21 yr. old boys. The only bad thing all week was the weather on a couple of port days and a small bit of seasickness. It rained out our trip to Tabyana beach in Roatan so that was very disappointing. We snorkeled on Grand Cayman - our first time snorkeling in the Caribbean so we really enjoyed it. Cozumel - DW and I went to Nachi Cocum but the day was interrupted by a nasty storm. Nachi Cocum is every bit as nice as we expected. The boys were on a fishing boat during the storm and had quite a ride. Belize - we did the River Wallace and Altun Ha ruins tour - a very good day.

We enjoyed the food all week (of course the boys ate just about around the clock) and enjoyed getting to know our wait staff in the MDR.

We loved the Legend. Some of the shows were so-so but some were very good. I think we are "hooked" - the boys are already planning the next one! I will try to post some pics later - I did get some great underwater shots from my new Canon D10.

We ate in the MDR (Trouffles) every night at 6:00. We did not try the steak house. We intended to but we were enjoying the MDR so much that we did not want to pay for something else. I know that may surprise some of you. We would definitely get the early seating again. It allowed us to attend the early show, stop by one or several of the lounges, drop by the Lido deck for a snack, and then be in bed around midnight (or so).

We each tried to order something different each night. I don't think there was anything we did not like (some we just didn't care for as much such as the lamb). The boys in particular enjoyed trying different things (like the sushi for example). They really liked the BBQ spare ribs (got them twice I think). As for dessert - can you all guess what they ordered every night? Yes the molten chocolate cake. Of course they would get the molten cake AND the baked alaska or the molten cake AND cheesecake.

We all laughed so hard one evening (even our waiter) when one of the boys and I ordered strawberry bisque as a starter. Keep in mind that we are all meat and potatoes types so much of what we ate this week was more "interesting" than what we usually eat. Shetty brings each of us a bowl with a small cube (about 1" square) of strawberry "stuff" sitting in the bottom. He just set it in front of us and then took off. We all look at each other and bust out laughing thinking - this is it? About that time he comes back with two small pitchers of cream to pour in the bowls. He got a big kick out of us.

As far as the unicorn cafe goes, there is a lot of good food there as well. And some just so-so. I had read on these boards about the grilled reuben so that was the first thing I tried and it is indeed very good. We all ate pizza, especially the boys, but we did not think it was very good. The boys even set there alarm one night for 2:00 AM just so they could go up and eat! We all thought the chicken strips/pieces were good - especially with the honey mustard sauce. DW and I enjoyed the late night cookies right out of the oven. Chocolate chip cookies with a glass of milk makes an awful good midnight snack no matter where you are. We all enjoyed the breakfast selections as well. It is difficult to ruin scrambled eggs IMO. The biscuits (when they had them) were hard but they satisfy my bicuits and gravy fix a couple of times.

The waiter did that to me on one cruise--big bowl with a dot of something in the center. My son and I looked at each other and started laughing. Portions sure have gotten smaller. Waiter returned and poured the rest in the bowl. It was very good!

How would you describe the ship interior and ease of getting around?

So happy you had a wonderful time aboard my 2nd favorite ship (Miracle is 1st, and it's a carbon copy of Legend) sailing out of my absolute favorite port. Sounds like you got an excellent wait staff in the dining room, and that can really make or break a cruise. More often than not, the waiters/bus boys are just like the ones you got, and they not only serve you, but entertain you as well. Did you see the "Big Shows" aboard?

"SKY"

How would you describe the ship interior and ease of getting around?

If you like urns, you will LOVE the Legend. The entire ship is very elegant and we found it very clean and well cared for. It did not take long to figure out how to easily get around the ship. We liked staying on deck 8 because it was easy to take the stairs up to all the activities on the Lido deck. We were close to the spa as well (unfortunately for me, DW got to know the spa folks very well) There are several banks of elevators and stairways. Even at busy times, the elevators did not require much of a wait. I found that the glass elevators in the atrium were the least used and therefore often the fastest to get from deck 2 to deck 8.

Did you see the "Big Shows" aboard?

We did see all of the "big" shows. Jazz Hot and The Big Easy were the two big "dance" shows. We liked The Big Easy better than Jazz Hot although both were good. We also went to The Legends show on the last night - it was fun. I don't remember the names of the balancing acts and comedians that we saw on the other nights. They were all entertaining but I would say average compared to other similar shows I've seen.

We enjoyed the jazz band whenever they played on board (they played for the big shows also) We also enjoyed listening to Lifeline in the Firebird Lounge. They also played for the Lido Deck Party.

Did you see the "Big Shows" aboard?

We did see all of the "big" shows. Jazz Hot and The Big Easy were the two big "dance" shows. We liked The Big Easy better than Jazz Hot although both were good. We also went to The Legends show on the last night - it was fun. I don't remember the names of the balancing acts and comedians that we saw on the other nights. They were all entertaining but I would say average compared to other similar shows I've seen.

I agree that "Big Easy" is one of the best shows on Carnival right now. Really high energy, and great music. The "Legends Show" is almost always good. It's fun to see some of your fellow passengers sing, dance, and have fun on stage.

"SKY"

Cozumel - DW and I went to Nachi Cocum but the day was interrupted by a nasty storm. Nachi Cocum is every bit as nice as we expected. The boys were on a fishing boat during the storm and had quite a ride. Belize - we did the River Wallace and Altun Ha ruins tour - a very good day.

We too did the Nachi Cocum "tropical storm special". I don't think I've ever seen it rain as hard in my life ! I tried to snorkel once the storm passed but I literally couldn't see my hand in front of my face. I thought the staff there were excellent though, and went out of their way to make our enforced confinement in that little room as comfortable as possible. Looks like a beautiful place to go if the weather co-operates. :)

And we also did the River Wallace/Altun Ha tour, which I thought was great in every way. Great tour guide, interesting locations and some good food at the Black Orchid.

I agree with your thoughts on the staff at Nachi Cocum. I thought they handled it the best anyone could have. It was bad enough that we had to sit out the storm where we did, but we were concerned for our boys who were out on the fishing boat. Interestingly enough, while we got soaked, they did not get wet. They claimed they did not get sea sick either but I have my doubts:) The only thing they complained about was only catching one fish. (a barricuda)

I would love to go back to Nachi Cocum if we ever make it back to Cozumel. Beautiful beach and very nice facilities and there were only about 30 - 40 of us there that day maybe.

where did you get warm chocolate chip cookies right out of the oven

In the Unicorn cafe on Lido deck. I have to give my DW credit for this one. About midweek we had just finished off some late night pizza (about 11:30 PM) and were starting back to our cabin when she says "I smell chocolate". We starting tracking it down and found a whole tray of cookies just out of the oven. Needless to say the cookie man became a regular friend for the rest of the cruise. You have to ask for the milk.

Archived