Dream/Liberty/Victory for honeymoon?

thisisnk23

Hi! I'm a first time cruiser and we are getting married/honeymooning on our cruise in May. I would like to book my cruise soon and have narrowed it down to the:

Dream - Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten

Liberty - Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk

Victory - leaving from San Juan, St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten

Any opinions or info good or bad would be appreciated in helping me to make this decision!!

Of the three you listed I have only been on the Liberty, same route. It was an awesome cruise, I would take it just for the stop in Half Moon Cay. Excluding Alaska, it was the best cruise port I have been to! There is a link to my review and pics in my signature.

The Dream is brand new, but has been getting some mixed reviews lately. I don't know when you are going, but I would personally wait a while to let her and the crew get into a nice groove.

EDIT: Just noticed you said you were looking to go in May. That will probably be far enough out for Dream to get the kinks worked out. Personally, I am watching the reviews very closely on the Dream to determine whether or not we stick with her for our September cruise, or look for something else.

I hear repeatedly that people who sail the victory never want to back to sea days. I believe Victory is a much better bang for the buck, but you'll also need to spend more to entertain yourself. I went on the Libery which was great, but would of preferred more ports and less sea days. Barring any super low pricing on other cruise, I've already decided to do the Victory in the fall :)

I was leaning toward the Victory just because there are so many ports! I think it would be fun to get to see so many.. the only problem is I have been reading reviews and in almost every review people have said they really enjoyed the itinerary, but what ruined the cruise for them was that the cruise leaves from Puerto Rico and there were a lot of obnoxious puertoricans on the cruise that were rude and loud and let their kids run around unsupervised and basically terrorize everyone. So, of course that scares me about taking this cruise! Also, I have read that the pool area was very small and not very nice. Anyone have any experience with this itinerary/ship?

I was leaning toward the Victory just because there are so many ports! I think it would be fun to get to see so many.. the only problem is I have been reading reviews and in almost every review people have said they really enjoyed the itinerary, but what ruined the cruise for them was that the cruise leaves from Puerto Rico and there were a lot of obnoxious puertoricans on the cruise that were rude and loud and let their kids run around unsupervised and basically terrorize everyone. So, of course that scares me about taking this cruise! Also, I have read that the pool area was very small and not very nice. Anyone have any experience with this itinerary/ship?

There's going to be rude people no matter which cruise. Search for ALL THINGS VICTORY thread and you'll get more info than you know what to do with ;)

Did the Victory in Oct. and it's on my list to do again soon. We loved the ship and crew. Also with so many ports we could pick and choose excursions and relaxing time. Not like a day at sea where you are stuck on the ship all day.

Thanks so much for the replies! I am so stuck on between the Liberty & Victory. I LOVE the itinerary on the Victory, but with so many stops I know it will mean more money in excursions and things to do & with the wedding, we aren't going to have a big budget for this trip.. I have read a few threads about the Liberty and it seems like most people agree with what you all have said and it's a great ship! Another problem about the Victory is that the airfare to San Juan really makes this cruise a lot more expensive. My TA suggested saving some money and going with an inside cabin. Anyone have any thoughts on this. I know if we choose the Liberty, the cruise is a lot cheaper and we would be able to probably at least get an ouside or even a balcony. Not having cruised before, I'm not too sure how important this is! My fiance has cruised once to the bahamas for 5 days on the inspiration and he said he loved it, but by day 5 he was ready to go home.. so i'm also worried about going for a full week.. oh so many things to think about!

I think as newlyweds you will probably spend more time in your cabin and get your mind out of the gutter people. I would think it would be more romantic having some drinks out on your balcony and just sitting together. Personally I would take a balcony. I have been in interior cabins and if you don't spend much time there then fine. Just my opinion. And the itinerary is wonderful on the Voyager. I have not sailed this ship but have done this itinerary. You can just get off and walk around and then get back on and take advantage of the empty ship and having lounge chairs and all to yourself so I wouldn't worry that it would mean more for excursions, etc. You can get off and take taxi/van tour of the islands for about $15 per person on most islands. But I would prefer the ship to myself.

Go on the Liberty. That was our first cruise, though not a honeymoon (it felt like it, it was so so wonderful). The ship is stunning (it's based on an Italian theme). You would be able to go to Harry's Supper Club.

If it is your first time cruising and you can swing it, try a balcony. Even if you cruise on the "Upper Deck" rather than way high up, it is really fun.

If you cannot swing a balcony, you MUST do an ocean view :) You'd be surprised when you compare pricing that it doesn't have to be horribly expensive.

Our first cruise we did a balcony and it WAS lovely. We haven't had a balcony since and still have had a great time.

HOW EXCITING! I can't wait to hear what you've chosen :)

IMO, I still say you will never regret the victory where as you may regret the others. Simply depends what your expectations are for the cruise. Honeymoon or not, a balcony on the victory can be kinda pointless depending what you do. Since you have a different port each day, you simply wake up early, get off the ship, come back to the ship, get ready for dinner than go to dinner. I'm the kind of person who spent little time in my room and was fine with an inside. Yes there is airfare and yes you will spend more due to the extra ports if you choose the victory.

Go on the Liberty. That was our first cruise, though not a honeymoon (it felt like it, it was so so wonderful). The ship is stunning (it's based on an Italian theme). You would be able to go to Harry's Supper Club.

If it is your first time cruising and you can swing it, try a balcony. Even if you cruise on the "Upper Deck" rather than way high up, it is really fun.

If you cannot swing a balcony, you MUST do an ocean view :) You'd be surprised when you compare pricing that it doesn't have to be horribly expensive.

Our first cruise we did a balcony and it WAS lovely. We haven't had a balcony since and still have had a great time.

HOW EXCITING! I can't wait to hear what you've chosen :)

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the Supper Club! Thats a big sticking point for me now, as I like to go at LEAST once per cruise. Soooooo goooood!

I'd pick the Liberty. Half Moon Cay is stunning. We went last year on the Destiny. We did back to back ports on the "Dawn Princess" and came back needing a vacation from our vacation. We're not good at just sitting around, but with shows, activities, and ports, one needs some time to relax! Happy Wedding-Moon!!!!!:)

We decided to pick the Liberty and we leave on May 16, 2010! So excited! Thanks for all of your recommendations! I haven't done a lot of research on the ports.. anyone have any suggestions? We are getting married in St. Thomas, so our day is already full there!

We decided to pick the Liberty and we leave on May 16, 2010! So excited! Thanks for all of your recommendations! I haven't done a lot of research on the ports.. anyone have any suggestions? We are getting married in St. Thomas, so our day is already full there!

Hope you have a great cruise, be sure to stop in and let us all know how it went.

In HMC we just did a beach day. The beach there is the best I have yet been to. Its more a huge swimming pool than ocean. Hardly any waves, smooth white sand bottom with no seaweed, lots of loungers and activities. We did the same thing at Grand Turk, just spending the day at Margaritaville swimming in the pool.

In San Juan we walked through town and toured Fort San Felipe del Morro, the fort at the mouth of the bay. For a history buff like me, it was very interesting.

At St. Thomas, our favorite thing to do is head up to Paradise Point. Its a bar/restaurant that over looks the bay and has great frozen drinks. There are a ton of things to do at those ports, so be sure to do lots of research!

I am late but I'm glad you picked the Liberty. Don't know much about the ship but the itinerary sounds wonderful. That is my dream itinerary. LOL I really want to go to Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay.

Would you mind emailing me and telling me how you went about making wedding arrangements in St. Thomas? That sounds like a wonderful idea. My mother is about to get married again. I'd love to share this with her.

naturalhealthybeauty at yahoo dot com. Thanks a bunch and congrats!!!!!!

Erica

Hi! I'm a first time cruiser and we are getting married/honeymooning on our cruise in May. I would like to book my cruise soon and have narrowed it down to the:

Dream - Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten

Liberty - Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk

Victory - leaving from San Juan, St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten

Any opinions or info good or bad would be appreciated in helping me to make this decision!!

For a 1st time cruiser I would not recommend the Victory itinerary...it's too BUSY...

I would say the Liberty or Dream - you can't go wrong on either!

Enjoy! I was married on Destiny in 98!!

I'm on Liberty May 22nd!!

On the day you are at the private island...just do nothing....enjoy the beach and the lunch they provide! SWIM!

It's the most beautiful beach and NO HASSLE from anyone...rent a cabana if you can! Well worth it!

Archived