Renting a car

dabearsfan

Does anyone know how far the car rental offices are from the pier? Will be on the Westerdam next week and thinking of renting a car in Curacao and Aruba. Any information will be appreciated since Hertz couldn't even tell me where their offices were located:confused:

There is an Avis office at the Megapier and one at the Howard Johnson Hotel near the Mathey Wharf (in the harbor). We were on the Westerdam a few weeks ago and it docked at the Mathey Wharf, so we reserved a car at the Avis in the HoJo. According to emails I received from their office, there would be someone at the office at 8:30, but there was no one there. The hotel staff were kind enough to phone the office at the Megapier. They sent someone in a tiny car to cart us (4 adults and duffels of snorkel gear) over to the other office. We finally got a car at 9:30, but it was a complimentary upgrade (much larger and more comfortable) from what we reserved, so we were happy. We made it to Playa Porto Marie (after a little getting lost and much laughing) shortly after 10:00, so we were able to still get primo spots on the beach.

I tried renting from Avis at the pier, but they were all out of vehicles for our date, so I got a rental from Budget to pick-up at Renaissance Curacao Resort which I was told is close to the pier; hopefully my information is correct and we won't have to walk all over town trying to find it..

• 2 weeks later...

We rented a car from Avis right on the Megapier. We had reserved it in advance and they had the car right in front of the office. The only problem was that the one employee in the office was SLOW!! It took her 1/2 hour to process each car and there were three people ahead of us. Frustrating!!! Still, we didn't have any trouble finding our way around and had a great day!

• 2 weeks later...

We've rented from Avis at the Megapier twice without problems. It's a good idea to reserve on-line as far in advance as possible. You don't have to pay for the car until you pick it up.

In November we went to Playa Kenepa Grande and had a great day. I would advise however, that you make your way back to Willemstad before it gets too dark, as a lot of the cars in the outskirts drove only with one headlight, parking lights, or no headlights. Not much in the way of highway lighting either, and a lot of foot traffic on those major roads.

The woman at the Avis counter was very nice, and we had great service from them. :)

Archived