Celebrity beach excursion in Antigua?

bigreckster

We'll be on the Summit next month and stop at Antigua. Celebrity offers 3 different beach excursion tours at different prices but doesn't identify the beach(es) involved so it's hard to research anything for a choice. We like to spend a few hours at a nice, quiet beach with chairs and umbrella/shade. Anyone have any advice/experience with Celebrity beach tours in this port? Thanks in advance for your help.:)

We'll be on the Summit next month and stop at Antigua. Celebrity offers 3 different beach excursion tours at different prices but doesn't identify the beach(es) involved so it's hard to research anything for a choice. We like to spend a few hours at a nice, quiet beach with chairs and umbrella/shade. Anyone have any advice/experience with Celebrity beach tours in this port? Thanks in advance for your help.:)

These are the best beaches in Antigua:

Darkwood Beach

Half Moon Bay

Dickenson Bay

Pigeon Beach

Jabberwock Beach

If you just plan to do a beach day, just get a taxi and go. Do not over pay for just a ride to the beach.

We did this a couple of years ago. It was FANTASTIC!!! We were treated wonderful, personal attention and Miguel the little owner is so very cute and proud of his lovely little island. This is from Celebrity's excursion site:

Shore Excursion Details

Antiguan Crusoe Island Break

Antiguan Crusoe Island Escape - AN52

Approx Duration: 5 hour(s) 30 minute(s)

*Current Price: Starting from

107.00 Adult (USD)

65.00 Child (USD)

0.00 Infant (USD)

Activity Type: Sightseeing and/or City Tours | Beach and/or Water-Related Activities | Snorkel & SCUBA Tours

Activity Level: Mild

Restrictions: N/A

Advisements:

You will be met at the ship by your tour guide and driven to the Hodges Bay Club about 15 minutes from your ship. From here you will take a short 5 to 7 minutes enjoyable boat ride to your private and secluded island for the day, Prickly Pear Island.

Time will stand still as you arrive on this friendly family run island. There are complimentary drinks all day so you can enjoy beer, rum punch, rum, fruit punch, and soft drinks. A delicious lunch will also be served.

The crystal clear waters are great for swimming and snorkeling. The crew knows every inch of the island's reef and, after a lesson in snorkeling in shallow water, the crew will take you through the reef on a mesmerizing underwater tour, or you can simply take a swim or relax and soak up the sun in the idyllic location on your sun chair. Complimentary lounge chair, umbrella and snorkel gear is included.

If you want pampering (at a price) the line offer out to Prickly Pear I. is nice. Creole Tours (google them) similarly do a popular 'lobster lunch' with snorkling that gets good reviews. These will set a couple back $200-250 though. If just a nice beach is what you want then cabs, meals, and drinks at a number of fine beaches will run only $50-75 total.

I'd go to the antiguanice website to review beaches, having spent a fair amount of time on Antigua, their comments are accurate.

The beaches on Antigua vary considerably in terms of facilities and quality. Darkwood sounds like it would fill your desires well (as would neighboring Turner's - a half mile or so down the road); they look out toward Montserrat and are easily accessed. Dickinson is heavily hotel developed and has a lot of everything. Half Moon is very pretty, secluded - but it has no restaurant and only a rustic part time bar - it is further afield than others (more expensive transit). Deep bay is supposed to be interesting (haven't been). Pidgeon Point is second tier qualitatively... it's water is impaired by being closed in (Falmouth bay). I'd not go there (I've been).

Antigua is nice... enjoy.

Darkwood does sound nice...any idea how much the cab fare for 2 is from the pier to that beach? I'm still curious from anyone who has taken the Celebrity excursion what beaches they are using for their beach rendezvous/break/escape tours?

We spent two weeks at a condo at Jolly Harbor marina which is on Jolly Beach and next door to the resort there. It a nice long sandy beach with a very gradual slope to the sea bed and plenty of facilities. You could rent jet skis and sunfish sail boats and there was a dive operation also. We ate a few times at the resort even though we had a full kitchen as we got a discount there as the marina was part of or under the same operation or management. The food was OK. The only real complaint was with the jet ski operation which was done out of the resort. There weren't any buoys making the swimming area and the jet skis would often come very close to the swimmer. There were some workers, not guests, there who seemed to enjoy running a jet ski very close to the swimmers. I complained about one to the resort office and a few days later he was out doing the same thing and almost hit me. I was standing in waist deep water so I'm sure he could see me. He was heading directly for me and veered really late IMO. I really raised hell with the resort manager which finally got results.

Thanks MiCruiser2002,... I didn't notice the beach location when I went to the explanations. I did find it interesting that the "Beach Escape" is listed for 4 hrs./1 drink/$36. and the "Beach Break" is listed for 3 hrs./1 drink/$44.!!! Seems strange if they all go to the same beach that an hour longer will actually cost $8. less than the other!?! (The beach rendezvous is listed for 5 hrs./w.lunch & drinks/$52.) That's what led me to originally think they went to different locations. Thanks for the info! I'm still confused though!

Archived