Uniworld Eastern Europe Explorer Aug. 28, 2010

TravelJane

I just signed up for this cruise. My travel agent got us a great group rate with a generous early booking discount. If you are interested in this cruise, I can put you in contact with the travel agent. We are also doing a 3 night pre cruise package in Istanbul that is also very good pricewise!

• 4 months later...

On the first night of the trip, we have a free night in Buchatest. As a travel writer and lecturer, I like to investigate local restaurants that are colorful and feature local cuisine as well as take photos to share. If anyone is looking at this page and sees this post, please let me know what you suggest. It may be wishful thinking, but I would like to find something with local musicians also! I just want to make the most of our short stay in Bucharest since that will be our first time there!

If anyone is following this site and is signed up for the 3 night package prior to the cruise, please let me know! I just had Uniworld send me the details on their package and I noticed that a lot of the optional tours or dinners require minimum participation. I am particularly interested in their "Istanbul at Night" tour that included dinner and a show. We are interested in doing that and hope it is as good as the Flamenco show with dinner we had in Barcelona. If anyone has already done this optional tour, I would appreciate your comments! I want to do something like this one night, but I want to make sure we are booking the right dinner-show combo.

I looked on Trip Advisor for restaruants that have dinners with local cuisine and music. The #1 rated restaurant, Caru cu Bere, supposedly had a lot of negative comments, so I emailed one of the posters asking for their personal suggestions. I am sharing those comments:

If you are in Bucharest and want to experience a traditional restaurant a compromise solution could be either Vatra (which is ranked #5 on tirpadvisor) or Casa Jaristea. In both you can either like or dislike the food depending upon your tastes and what you order :), quality is good though.

The first one is a moderately priced, traditionally decorated but basic looking restaurant. They usually have music.

The second one is more expensive, they have a program each night with music and dancing (not all the numbers are traditional Romanian though). Decorated as a 1920s urban residence. The owner is a strange lady who attends the show every night and talks gibberish in between the show numbers. The food is really good, you could have an enjoyable and out of the ordinary evening here. It's more expensive, I'd say about €100 for 2 persons (more if you like good wine, I'd recommend the romanian red wine "Prince Matei") Even Anthony Bourdain visited this place (he is a famous chef who has a show named "no reservations" on Travel Channel). He thinks of the place as kitschy though, can't really argue with it. But he liked the food.

I think we will take his suggestion for the 2nd place and make a reservation for the night we arrive in Bucharest. We always enjoy trying the local cuisine!

Archived