dumb question...water shoes??

Jante

You wear them in the water to help you walk, to prevent slipping, to prevent getting cut by sharp objects and to help with walking on rocks. I personally don't own a pair so I'm not sure where you can buy them. I think there are stupid looking but they do serve a purpose. JMO

J.

They are a soft plastic shoe that prevents your feet from getting cut up. In some beaches the sand is not the soft sand beach but kinda pebbly and ahrd on the feet. In the ocean there is a lot of coral that can cut your feet. Slipepry rocks..etc.etc.

Old tennis shoes work just as good.

I agree they're silly-looking, BUT have saved me from many cuts and scrapes at various seashores.

Altho old tennies would serve the same purpose, the water shoes are VERY lightweight, and don't get heavier in water like tennies can.

WalMart sells them for about $3-6. I have two pair, to match two swimsuits.

We just returned from a cruise and used water shoes on three separate occasions. My kids (aged 21 and 23) originally refused to even consider them but I was able to find some on line that were Teva brand and they look just like gym shoes. They were very comfortable and stylish and I figure they can use them other times. Eddie Bauer also sells them. They are also for sale on the cruise ship (at least on the Mariner). They range from $5.00 rubber type slipons to probably $50 or more depending on the brand. We used them at Labadee, Dunns River Falls, and River tubing.

I agree water shoes are a must. I have three fashion conscious daughters 19,19 and 21 and we all loved having them. They hug your feet, you don't have to change shoes from water to land, light and easy. Where ever you get them make sure the insole does not move around. We bought some from Walmart and didn't like them because of that.

We use ours at home for river rafting.

I love water shoes. Not only do they protect my feet at the beach (from heat, stones, coral, etc.), but I wear them under my fins when I snorkel and it keeps me from getting blisters on my toes and heels. Also, keeps me from picking up any nasties around the pool. They are well worth it.

:D

If you're going to the beach, definitely buy some. My whole family wears them. They are cheap, $5 or so. It's a hassle to pack so many things, but they are useful. You can always toss them at the end of your cruise if you need the space for your souveniers:) ! I get a new pair for the kids every year, but, let me tell you, by the end of summer they are worn and torn (so just think if that was their/your feet getting all torn up on rocks, etc.)

Have a fun cruise!

Walmart is a great place to get these shoes. I own a pair and always wear them when I go to water parks. They are also great if you go to Jamica and do the Dunns River Falls, those rocks can get pretty slippery. But like one poster wrote, a pair of old tennis shoes work fine as well.

Watershoes also protect your feet from really hot pavement or sand on or around the water. They aren't the best looking though so my kids won't wear them anymore. However, they will wear Teva sandals which are great in the water and good looking enough to be used as general sandals. They are more readily available in some areas of the country than others, but REI carries them and they have a website.

You can find them most anywhere right before summer - Kmart Target Walmart, sporting goods stores.

It took me 2 years to convince my DH and now he won't travel without them. The uppers are usually a nylon, so they are much lighter than tennies and dry fairly fast.

We always take our water shoes - and they came from Wal-Mart. Sometimes you can get them on clearance for $1 - $2.00. They are great to wear for an water activity. Yes, the ships sell them but they are very high. My advice: Buy them, Pack them, Wear them!

In California we call them aqua-socks. I have a pair that I have worn right off the ship. They are great. Not exactly a fashion statement, but it's definately made walking on the rocky beaches comfortable. Plus they dry out quickly so your feet don't stay wet (which they would if you wore an old pair of tennies).

Archived