Help need with where to have a try dive

hannvic

Hi,

Me and my husband are going on the sea Princess on the 19th December. I'd love to have a try dive in the caribean but don't really want to pay for the one off the ship which is in Bonaire. Our Iternity is below. Which is the best island to have a try dive on and can anyone recommend a good company to use?

1 Montego Bay, Jamaica Depart 8:00PM

2 At Sea

3 Samana, Dominican Republic Arrive 8:00AM Depart 5:00PM

4 Tortola, British Virgin Islands Arrive 9:00AM Depart 6:00PM

5 St. Kitts, St. Kitts & Nevis Arrive 8:00AM Depart 5:00PM

6 Antigua, Antigua and Barbuda Arrive 7:00AM Depart 5:00PM

7 Dominica Arrive 8:00AM Depart 5:00PM

8 Barbados Arrive 7:00AM Depart 9:00PM

9 St. Lucia Arrive 8:00AM Depart 5:00PM

10 Trinidad, Trinidad & Tobago Arrive 8:00AM Depart 5:00PM

11 Grenada Arrive 7:00AM Depart 2:00PM

12 Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles Arrive 12:00PM Depart 7:00PM

13 Aruba Arrive 7:00AM Depart 5:00PM

14 At Sea

15 Montego Bay, Jamaica Arrive 7:00AM

Many thanks

Victoria :)

You certainly have plenty of choices. I would try early in the trip so that if you really like diving, you could go again. Tortola would be my early choice. Bonaire is probably the easiest to get in the water as there are several dive shops within a short walk of the cruiseship pier. Flamingo Beach Resort with it's dive shop and dive out front would work well. All of your stops have good scuba diving with the exception of Montego Bay.

In Bonaire you should be able to do a shore dive (or dives) which will cost you considerably less that the ship's excursion. The cruise ship pier in Bonaire is within a short walking distance to the Divi Flamingo Resort, where you should be able to get tanks and any rental gear and then dive from the end of their dock. In Roseau, Dive Dominica takes cruise ship passengers (in a boat different than ones used for land-based viusitors) but I don't know if they will let you book directly or require that you book the ship's excursion. In St. Kitts you can use Kenneth's Dive Center and in Barbados, West Side Divers. You'll need to get a ride to each but the shops might be willing to pick you up and drop you back after.

I'd love to have a try dive

I believe the poster is wanting to do an excursion dive and is not certified and does not like the cost of the ship's offering . . . {aka a not yet certified exposure to diving}

hmmm all I can suggest is researching the shops in the ports you will visit and then contacting them directly, and weighing that time spent against the ship's mark up.

From the 'dive friendly' side I'd try Bonaire (a dive meca), then Barbados (big city and you have lots of time) but you certainly COULD find a good deal at a dive shop in any of the other places.

Archived