MSC Opera, Family, August 2010 Norway....Advice!!

jimmy twotimes

Hi everyone

I am almost ready to book my families only second ever cruise. Last year we had a great time with NCL doing the Baltics. This year, i have looked at MSC (to be honest its more because the cost is good for us) and i just need someone to reasure us that it will be a good holiday, especially for the kids. I have 2 boys that will be 3 and 8 if we go.

Basically, can MSC compare favourably to NCL and wil MSC cater for the kids? Any advice much appreciated.

(BTW we are born and bred English but my parents are Italian - wil that help on MSC ;)?)

Thanks

Jimmy

Hy jimmy twotimes

Welcome to CC.

It really depends on what you are looking for. I don't know a hige amount about NCL but do know that they do freestyle anytime dining which MSC don't.

MSC do have kids programmes but if you are looking at a sailing from Copenhagen, English speakers will be in the minority including in the kids club. If the cruise you are considering is one of the ones sailing from Dover, then obviously the passenger mix will be very different. They laos make a fair few adjustments to the normal European offering on the UK sailings.

i really can't reassure you that you will have a good time as I really have no idea what makes a holiday good for you. I liked the Opera and have sailed on her 6 times, so would be happy to answer any questions about the ship or MSC in general. Others who have sailed NCL will be able to help you with a comparison.

Hi everyone

I am almost ready to book my families only second ever cruise. Last year we had a great time with NCL doing the Baltics. This year, i have looked at MSC (to be honest its more because the cost is good for us) and i just need someone to reasure us that it will be a good holiday, especially for the kids. I have 2 boys that will be 3 and 8 if we go.

Basically, can MSC compare favourably to NCL and wil MSC cater for the kids? Any advice much appreciated.

(BTW we are born and bred English but my parents are Italian - wil that help on MSC ;)?)

Thanks

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy - Welcome

First note, I have only sailed NCL in the US. We recently completed a MSC Splendida cruise.

Comparison

1. MSC's main dining was better - particularly if you love Pasta. Not to say it's better than NCL's specialty restaurants (but it's certainly better than NCL's Italian specialty restaurant), but you might find your pretty happy with the main dining room - so no need to hit a specialty every night.

2. Better ambiance on MSC. European style service - quiet, in the background - not in your face. Not the constant upsell as you would find on NCL.

3. Overall, the service was better on MSC. Nice touches like white glove reception leading you to your cabin.

4. NCL, of course has more specialty dining choices.

5. Set dining times on MSC. I personally missed the freestyle.

6. Definitely fewer English cruisers. We liked that - but we're from the US doing a Med cruise and wanted that flavor.

7. The infamous water issue. No problem for us - we're used to it on our European land based travels.

8. Bigger cabin - NCL has some of the smallest cabins (from what I learned on my CC cabin crawl on NCL - everyone was comparing cabins to other cruise lines). Really good cabin design on Splendida - but I didn't sail Opera class.

We came away wishing we could combine the two cruise lines. I like the ambiance much better on MSC. I like the freestyle on NCL. For us, it would be a push given price and itinerary. We also found we like the NCL ship better - but that was because of MSC ship's size - and the fact the MSC Splendida seemed to focus to it's center rather than out to the sea. But, we did not sail Opera class which might be different because it's a smaller ship.

You could go to the review section and look for a Splendida review by Hat. She's also an ex-NCL'er. Again different ship - but it was a nice balanced review.

One thing, for a Norway cruise (which would be similar to a Alaskan cruise) personally, I would want a ship with that gives a feeling of cruising and seems to be designed to look out - rather than being a self contained resort. Amomondo might be able to express an opinion on how the Opera class comes through in that regard.

OK, well I have booked it! August 19, sailing from Dover, 11 nights in the Norwegian Fjords and a stop at Amsterdam. I have researched all the various reviews and I take on board (sorry!) that some people have differing expectations. Being European and of Italian descent, im hoping that part wont be an issue. All I spose I would be keen on feeling more positive is that the kids will be looked after firstly by the activities on board and secondly food wise.

NCL is very bold and brash which the kids loved. Last thing I want is for us to stick out like a sore thumb cos I have a couple of noisy kids! Don’t want to have to tell the kids to be quiet as if we were in some kind of library!

Also read that the kids clubs aren’t open all day long (though this may be only for the teens). So, if there is anyone on here who has sailed on the Opera and has used the kids facilities, I would love to hear what they thought of it. We aren’t the type to leave the kids in the clubs all day long every day, but just knowing that if they feel a bit bored they can go somewhere for a few hours and have fun.

We will certainly miss the freestyle dining of NCL which was excellent. I’m lucky that my children aren’t keen on kids menus, they will eat more or less as we eat. My main concern is if they want something at 4pm, will there be something open so that we can get something? Or would that mean ordering room service with a cost involved? I read somewhere they charge for pizza??? Or is this only at dinner time?

I have also read a review saying that MSC sailings from UK destinations may allow tap water to made available freely as the UK and US market is demanding this (and rightly so). But either way, will be happy to buy a water package. We aren’t really alcohol drinkers.

Thanks to those who have already replied, any other advice I always appreciated. We crusied for the first time last year and thoroughly enjoyed the Baltics (kids in tears when we had to leave!) so will hope for the same with MSC.

4:00 - tea time. If your kids like cake and tea sandwiches they'll be happy.

As for difference in service - you probably put it well - NCL is kind of brash. But, you'll be on a school holiday cruise on MSC with kids sailing free. The whole understated, quiet feeling probably changes dramatically.

One thing I forgot to mention is the buffet is better on NCL.

But, on MSC, pizza is offered free (sheet pizza)at lunch and the buffet stays open pretty late at lunch.

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived