Taking DSLR Camera Off Ship??

curlimommy

It sounds like most of you are avid photographers do this may be an overly obvious statement, but don't take your DSLR to the beach or anywhere wet or overly humid. Sand especially wrecks havoc on cameras. Go out and get a waterproof point and shoot for those occasions.

I agree!

I plan on acquiring a Canon Powershot D-10 that is water resistant to 33' and has some interesting ways to attach it.

I will be taking along my DSLR as well but there are some places where I will have to leave it behind :(

Gotta love photography :D

you use film? I haven't used film in at least 10 years and I used to develop my own.

I have a lot of pictures blown up to 8x10. I have no problem at maximum resolution on my P and S to get that. Now I also admit that I also use the dial to dial a picture now and then and take short movies as well. I have had a couple of pictures published... and it was on an older and less capable Canon P and S.

This was published.

No, I don't shoot film (well it's been a long time anyway). Why do you ask?

There is no question that a P&S has the resolution to print at 8x10 or above, but just because there is the resolution doesn't mean it will look great or even good, especially at high ISO's. The bigger the sensor the better it is at capturing light and minimizing noise. Take a look at some of the comparisons on dpreview.com. Here is one of the Canon g10 vs. the 1000d (entry level dslr) http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong10/page21.asp. Even at only 400 ISO the detail lost on the G10 makes it unusable in my opinion.

I'm not at all saying that P&S cameras can't take great pictures. What I am saying is that given the same scene with a P&S and a DSLR, the output from the DSLR will be better (assuming the same photographer). And given much of the reason I travel is to take pictures, I would not settle on a P&S. You can check out my photography at lifevicarious.com if interested.

we have taken our dslr everywhere on excursions all over europe, south america, caribbean etc etc

it was stolen on our last cruise (november) while on the ship!!

That goes to show you that it's not only the poor and desperate who will steal.

Bottom line is watch your stuff wherever you are. Theft is often more about opportunity then anything else.

Not meant to be argumentative, purely curious, but if you feel the quality is the same, why do you still have your DSLR's?

I personally have found just the opposite. Anything over 400 ISO I have found absolutely unusable on any P&S camera I have used (including the G10 but I admittedly have not played with the G11 but I assume it's not that much if any better). And even at 400 it's questionable.

I personally prefer to take the risk. A camera can be replaced but once in a lifetime moments can not and I feel I have a better chance of capturing the image (not to mention a higher quality image) with a DSLR then a P&S.[/quote

The reason we are leaving the DSLRs at home during our two weeks in Italy is that we will be coming off a transatlantic on the Equinox and traveling by train, so we need to whittle weight as much as possible. This will be our 20th or so trip to Italy since 1969 and the only time we have traveled without a car and a battery of cameras and lenses. It will be liberating not having the added weight and worry. Besides, if you follow the Canon Camera Talk forum on Dpreview.com, you will read that the consensus is that the G11 is a good low-light shooter up to ISO 800, which far better than the G10 which was too noisy after ISO 200. If you e-mail me at cirpiataoldotcom, I can send you a G11 file at ISO 800 shot in lousy light and another at 80 in sunlight. Both are more than merely acceptable and the one at 80 yielded a 12x18 print that appears to be as sharp as any I have made from my Nikon D200 or 300.

The reason we are leaving the DSLRs at home during our two weeks in Italy is that we will be coming off a transatlantic on the Equinox and traveling by train, so we need to whittle weight as much as possible. This will be our 20th or so trip to Italy since 1969 and the only time we have traveled without a car and a battery of cameras and lenses. It will be liberating not having the added weight and worry. Besides, if you follow the Canon Camera Talk forum on Dpreview.com, you will read that the consensus is that the G11 is a good low-light shooter up to ISO 800, which far better than the G10 which was too noisy after ISO 200. If you e-mail me at cirpiataoldotcom, I can send you a G11 file at ISO 800 shot in lousy light and another at 80 in sunlight. Both are more than merely acceptable and the one at 80 yielded a 12x18 print that appears to be as sharp as any I have made from my Nikon D200 or 300.

Weight certainly makes sense!

In addition to my DSLR, I also recently bought a PEN for that very reason. Even the marketing states it's not a DSLR and it's not a P&S and that really is the best way to describe it. It is very small compared to a DSLR but it takes really nice pictures (although still not as good as my 5D). The downside is it is really slow to focus but for my type of photography thats not a huge issue (in fact I mainly use a MF lens on it anyway). I will often take it as opposed to the 5D.

I would be interested in seeing the G11 file. I'll try to shoot you an email.

Thanks and have fun on the trip!

I take my DSLR setup with me on every vacation (2 cameras, multiple pro-quality lenses) as I don't want to miss the potential to take some great photos that will remind me of where I've been. If I'm worried about a particular port, I'll make sure I put a new memory card in and travel light (which still involves 1 DSLR and 1-2 lenses).

If you are worried, you may also want to consider getting a personel effects insurance policy on any camera gear you bring with you just in case anything happens (not just stolen, but subjected to rain, water, sand, etc.).

Archived