Saint John, New Brunswick - Which Excursion?

We are cruising the Crystal Symphony next year for the fall foliage cruise from Montreal to New York. My question concerns our sightseeing excursion in Saint John, New Brunswick. We are renting a car in Saint John so that we can sightsee on our own. We were all set to visit St. Martins and the Fundy Trail Parkway when someone recommended that we visit St. Andrews instead. I have read my guidebooks, and both excursions sound interesting but we must choose only one.

Has anyone been to St. Martins and the Fundy Trail Parkway?

Has anyone been to St. Andrews?

How much farther is it to St. Andrews than to St. Martins from Saint John?

Has anyone been to both places? (I wish!)

What did you think? What should we do?

Thank you for you recommendations and suggestions.

Shelley:)

We are cruising the Crystal Symphony next year for the fall foliage cruise from Montreal to New York. My question concerns our sightseeing excursion in Saint John, New Brunswick. We are renting a car in Saint John so that we can sightsee on our own. We were all set to visit St. Martins and the Fundy Trail Parkway when someone recommended that we visit St. Andrews instead. I have read my guidebooks, and both excursions sound interesting but we must choose only one.

Has anyone been to St. Martins and the Fundy Trail Parkway?

Has anyone been to St. Andrews?

How much farther is it to St. Andrews than to St. Martins from Saint John?

Has anyone been to both places? (I wish!)

What did you think? What should we do?

Thank you for you recommendations and suggestions.

St. Martin's is 55 minutes from Saint John. St. Andrew's is 70 minutes from Saint John in the opposite direction. St. Martin's is a fishing village. St. Andrew's is a resort town in the summertime. If you want to experience the dramatic tides, explore seacaves and drive along a parkway along the coast - St. Martins. If you want to visit quaint shops or go whale watching - St. Andrew's. In St. Andrew's you could have afternoon tea at the historic Fairmont Algonquin:

http://www.fairmont.com/algonquin

St. Andrew's is a very nice tourist friendly town, with lots of shops and decent restaurants.

I should add that although there may be the odd T-shirt shop, the stores in St Andrews have very high quality merchandise. It is a very arty community and this is reflected in the shops.

You should also take some time to visit Kingsbrae Gardens. www.kingsbraegarden.com

This past Sept, we rented a car for the day we were in town and went to St Martins and did the Fundy Trail. It was very beautiful and scenic, but I think in hindsight we should have gone to St. Andrews. There was not as much to see as we thought towards St. Martins. Unfortunately we didn't have time to do both and it came down to a coin toss!! Renting a car is a great way to do it though, would highly recommend it, then you will have plenty of time to see the reversing falls.

I am biased, I will say up front, since I live in St Andrews, but it really is a lovely little town - Canada's oldest and premier seaside resort town, with great artisans/shops, restaurants and the jewel in the crown, Kingsbrae Garden. 27 glorious acres of themed gardens, sculptures and neat features like a true Dutch windmill, Scents & Sensitivity Garden for the vision impaired, a cedar maze and labyrinth of thyme, a wonderful 'fresh from the garden' Cafe, gift shop and art gallery. 2010 will be the second year of the Sculpture Garden and Great Canadian Sculpture competition. www.kingsbraegarden.com

It is a wonderful day trip and only a few minutes' further than St Martins from Saint John - a little over an hr instead of a little under. Lots to see, and do. www.fundyculture.ca shows you a lot of interesting spots besides Kingsbrae Garden [though it's there too] - like the Ross Memorial Museum, etc. WELL worth the trip!

• 2 weeks later...
I am biased, I will say up front, since I live in St Andrews, but it really is a lovely little town - Canada's oldest and premier seaside resort town, with great artisans/shops, restaurants and the jewel in the crown, Kingsbrae Garden. 27 glorious acres of themed gardens, sculptures and neat features like a true Dutch windmill, Scents & Sensitivity Garden for the vision impaired, a cedar maze and labyrinth of thyme, a wonderful 'fresh from the garden' Cafe, gift shop and art gallery. 2010 will be the second year of the Sculpture Garden and Great Canadian Sculpture competition. www.kingsbraegarden.com

It is a wonderful day trip and only a few minutes' further than St Martins from Saint John - a little over an hr instead of a little under. Lots to see, and do. www.fundyculture.ca shows you a lot of interesting spots besides Kingsbrae Garden [though it's there too] - like the Ross Memorial Museum, etc. WELL worth the trip!

Hi and welcome to Cruise Critic------I agree about St. Andrews as I once lived many years in Charlotte County, both in St. Stephen and St. Andrews. I have so many fond memories of sailing out of the harbour in St. Andrews and of hiking to the top of Chamcook Mountain to enjoy the view of the town and the bay. It is still one of my favourite day excursions. I remember when you used to be able to drive over to Minister's Island and just wander around the Van Horne mansion over there when it still had the original furniture. The caretaker didn't mind people poking about. That was mnay years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

hi Shelley - yes, there is still lots to see in October. The sculpture garden and competition will still be up - as well as dozens of other sculptures and interesting features. There's a video and info on the last exhibit. The garden adds mums and things for fall colour, and annuals will still be colorful, but the garden itself has kilometres of ancient cedar hedges enclosing garden 'rooms' and lots of trees for fall colour. I really don't think you'd be disappointed!

Also, as others have said, St Andrews is a lovely little town, lots of artisans and great food! Your time in port is probably limited, but St Andrews is definitely a worthwhile destination - and Kingsbrae Garden tops the list, for me!

happy sailing!

PS forgot to say - the garden is still lovely in misty or rainy weather and you can have a glass of wine, coffee, tea, etc with a snack or lunch at the Garden Cafe afterwards, to warm up!

The garden closes on October 9, 2010. We would be going there on October 6, 2010. Will there still be a lot to see, or will we be at the end of the blooming season? What is it like if it rains?

Thanks,

Archived