Hosts on Regent's Ships

I met a few Gentlemen Hosts while on my recent cruise on the Mariner from Sydney to Auckland. The men were friendly, yet professional. While the Gentlemen Hosts are not officially employed by Regent Seven Seas, they represent the cruise line and wear name badges.

Did you know that being a Gentlemen Host on a Regent cruise is a phenomenal deal? The hosts have ALL of the privileges as a paying passenger/guest, including staying in the same suites, eating in the same restaurants and even participating in the same excursions as you and me.

I've also discovered that the financial cost of being a Gentlemen Host is infinitesimal compared to what a passenger/guest pays. To travel the world on luxury cruises and pay $... as a Gentlemen Host, what single man wouldn't take advantage of that deal?

Does Regent have any Lady Hosts on its ships? If so, where do I sign up? :p

I agree. It's a great deal. I met a man on the Navigator a couple of years ago who did the Gentleman Host thing every year for his vacation. He just looked at the itinerary and the timing and the ship and decided if he wanted to go or not.

And if they get Lady Hosts, I'm signing up!!!!!!!!

Hi TLC. Glad you found the Gentlemen Hosts and the solo group. They do have a good job but it can also be stressful to pay attention to all the ladies and to keep on smiling whether they be nice or obnoxious. The ones I have met had some wonderful and hilarious stories to tell of their experiences on board, at the same time being the souls of discretion and not naming any names or dates. Most of them do a cruise and then take a break before taking another trip on board. Works beautifully if they are living with grown children.

I was thinking about the women as hosts question and it occurs to me that there is a stigma attached to women being "assigned partners" for men that would prevent this from ever happening. Sad to say that it would probably be "uncomfortable", to say the least, specifically for the cruise line. isn't it weird that we can see a man as a "host", for a single woman or woman whose partner does not dance, as perfectly acceptable, and even a "job" sought after by some men (and understandably so), BUT if it was a woman in that role, well you get my meaning....

I would think that a job as the "Tech Teacher" (ie: teach people to use email or photo upload programs, etc.) would be more to my liking. In fact...once the kiddos are grown, this could be a REAL possibility for me.

*Please don't flame me, I was just offering my humble opinion*

As a parent of a son who enjoyed Regent's youth programs for many years I learned a lot about the perks of that position too. The staff enjoy a regular guest suite with housekeeping, can go on any excursion if there is a space and can eat in all restaurants all though discouraged to use the specialty restaurants. Sadly, males are not considered for the position. My son, now a college freshman, still remains in contact with two of the counselors he met on board almost 9 years ago!

There were guys helping with the teen program the last time my son participated. The young woman was in charge, but there was also a young man, probably just out of college.

I loved dancing with the gentleman host on one cruise. I think he probably thought I was single--as my husband doesn't like to dance, he never went near a dance floor.

Archived