Milk and Beverages for kids?

mmcruise

We're going on Jewel of the Seas in Feb. with our 2 1/2 year old, who is a big, no - HUGE, milk fan. I have a few questions for seasoned family cruisers - it's our first time.

1. Can we get milk at any time of the day on the ship on RCCI?

2. Are there refrigerators/freezers in the RCCI (Radiance class/Jewel) staterooms in case he wants some at an odd hour?

3. What about shore excursions? Can you buy milk in Cozumel, Costa Maya, or Georgetown, Grand Cayman? Is it pasteurized and safe to drink?

4. Also, I seem to remember there are issues with water in Mexico? Is that still true? What would be safe to give him to drink in port if we can't get milk (heaven forbid)? I know we'll probably stick to Sol beer, but of course, he can't!

5. Anybody have any good tips for bringing milk ashore if you can't buy it? Thermos? Frozen bottle of water? Help is so appreciated.

You have no idea - milk (mook) is essential for his happiness, and I can't believe I'm just thinking of this now!! Eek! Any tips are welcome! Thanks in advance.

Melissa

Milk - even in the choc variety is available at the buffet or the cafe located on the promanade deck. Milk is also availble using room service.

The refrigerators onboard have not kept my stuff cold to my liking so I take along my 12 can holder cooler and its filled with ice both day and night. I would take a carton or two and keep it there.

That is also how i would carry it around the ports. You can carry off milk as its a pre packaged container. Dont take it out of the carton and put it in something else. Thats where you may have a problem.

Here in CA there is a brand of milk called Horizon Organic. They make foil juice box size cartons of double pasteurized milk...it does not have to be refrigerated until after it has been opened. It is kind of expensive but is fabulous for travelling. It comes in regular milk and then strawberry, choc, vanilla and banana flavors. If you can't find it at your local grocery store try either Costco or Starbucks.

You can get a collapsable cooler at Walmart or a similar store. It is basically an insulated cooler made of fabric instead of hard plastic. Make sure when you use it to put a couple bath towels under it....when you put a lot of ice inside a lot of condensation builds up on the outside and dribbles all over.

JMHO but I would never feed my son any drinks I bought in Mexico. We brought our own water bottles, juice boxes and cartons of milk from the ship. I just didn't want to take a chance on having our vacation ruined with tummy problems!!

I think I'll bring my own kiddie drinks off the ship in Mexico; we'll keep some "mook" in the ice bucket in the evening for early AM use. Now I'm in the market for a collapsible soft-sided cooler. Oh well, more shopping!

Thanks to all!

Melissa

Archived