First Time Cozumel Jeep?

detjr

Hi, stefyo! The office we used last time only made an imprint using one of those "old-fashioned" hand-held cc imprinters. (Could vary per office, though!). For the reasons you mentioned, we don't use our debit card. Maybe an alternative could be one of those Visa or M/C "gift cards" that you load with your own cash. Of course, the amount of cash would need to sufficient for the deposit (whatever amount that may be... $250 to $500, maybe?). We noticed a couple of other renters had no cc, so they gave the rental office a cash deposit instead. I have no idea how much the deposit was, however.

• 3 weeks later...
ANyone know which port Carnival uses in Cozumel??

stefyo - it can depend on the ship and the schedule that week but Carnival usually docks at the Puerto Maya Pier. There is a weekly schedule on the Cozumel Insider page if you want to check before you go (be sure to scroll down for the schedule: http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Cruiseships

CruiseVacationQueen - I leave in 17 days. Thanks for all if your info I will let you know how it went when we get back! :)

Jessie

CruiseVacationQueen - I leave in 17 days. Thanks for all if your info I will let you know how it went when we get back! :)

Jessie

Hi, Jessie! I'm sooooo excited for you! Yes, do share all about your adventures in Cozumel. We sail on the Freedom in 43 more days. Yippee! We decided to go to Nachi Cocum beach with our CC roll-call group. So, excited we are trying something new on Coz, also! Safe travels and enjoy your trip! Leah

stefyo - it can depend on the ship and the schedule that week but Carnival usually docks at the Puerto Maya Pier. There is a weekly schedule on the Cozumel Insider page if you want to check before you go (be sure to scroll down for the schedule: http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Cruiseships

Thanks for posting this link BeachChica. We have made arrangements to rent a car with Avis, but had no idea how far away the rental place was from the pier...and which pier it would be.

Hi CruiseVacationQueen!

We too are thinking of renting jeeps while in Cozumel in May. We really want to see the other side of the island. Actually, I think some have suggested dune buggies. How long ago was it that you rented the dune buggy? Do they charge per person or per vehicle? Which do you prefer? I guess the dune buggies are two per vehicle where jeeps are four per vehicle, right? I've looked at the excursion offered thru Carnival, but don't really want to pay about $90 pp. I know in Progreso you can rent dune buggies for about $75 per vehicle. We have about a dozen or so going, so maybe we can spread out & see who can get the best bargain. ;)

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Hi CruiseVacationQueen!

We too are thinking of renting jeeps while in Cozumel in May. We really want to see the other side of the island. Actually, I think some have suggested dune buggies. How long ago was it that you rented the dune buggy? Do they charge per person or per vehicle? Which do you prefer? I guess the dune buggies are two per vehicle where jeeps are four per vehicle, right? I've looked at the excursion offered thru Carnival, but don't really want to pay about $90 pp. I know in Progreso you can rent dune buggies for about $75 per vehicle. We have about a dozen or so going, so maybe we can spread out & see who can get the best bargain. ;)

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Hi, ChelseaGirl! We have rented jeeps several times (once thru Carnival) and a dune buggy this past August. We paid roughly $65 for the whole day. The jeeps & dune buggies both seat 4. As far as preference, I had a blast driving the dune buggy, but my DH & DS were miserable sitting in the back seat (which is raised, like stadium-seating) due to the rough ride and wind-burn. So, they would say that jeeps are better!

One advantage to renting through Carnival is that you get to drive "off-road" to the REALLY remote end of the island, which is a one-time "must do" IMHO. The rental car companies don't want you to go off-roading in their vehicles, and most disengage the 4x4. The very first time we went to Coz, we did the jeeps thru the ship and it was a blast going really fast on the twisting & bumpy back roads. All subsequent trips we rented the vehicles on our own. We really enjoy the drive to the remote side and spending a relaxed day at those gorgeous beaches! If you rent on your own, watch your speed and stick to the main road. Cozumel is a small island and very easy to navigate, so you can see a lot in just one day!

BTW ~ we'll be back in Coz in April. As much as I LOVE driving around Cozumel (which is A LOT), especially to my favorite restaurant/bar on Playa Bonita, we've decided to spend the day at Nachi Cocum Beach Resort instead. It's all-inclusive for a low price ($49), and even though it's not all the way on the remote side, the beach is very serene and left in it's natural state. The main draw for me is that I can enjoy all the margaritas I want, because I won't be driving... we're taking a taxi there & back! Good luck deciding and have a great day in Cozumel!

Hi, ChelseaGirl! We have rented jeeps several times (once thru Carnival) and a dune buggy this past August. We paid roughly $65 for the whole day. The jeeps & dune buggies both seat 4. As far as preference, I had a blast driving the dune buggy, but my DH & DS were miserable sitting in the back seat (which is raised, like stadium-seating) due to the rough ride and wind-burn. So, they would say that jeeps are better!

One advantage to renting through Carnival is that you get to drive "off-road" to the REALLY remote end of the island, which is a one-time "must do" IMHO. The rental car companies don't want you to go off-roading in their vehicles, and most disengage the 4x4. The very first time we went to Coz, we did the jeeps thru the ship and it was a blast going really fast on the twisting & bumpy back roads. All subsequent trips we rented the vehicles on our own. We really enjoy the drive to the remote side and spending a relaxed day at those gorgeous beaches! If you rent on your own, watch your speed and stick to the main road. Cozumel is a small island and very easy to navigate, so you can see a lot in just one day!

BTW ~ we'll be back in Coz in April. As much as I LOVE driving around Cozumel (which is A LOT), especially to my favorite restaurant/bar on Playa Bonita, we've decided to spend the day at Nachi Cocum Beach Resort instead. It's all-inclusive for a low price ($49), and even though it's not all the way on the remote side, the beach is very serene and left in it's natural state. The main draw for me is that I can enjoy all the margaritas I want, because I won't be driving... we're taking a taxi there & back! Good luck deciding and have a great day in Cozumel!

So that was $65 (roughly) per person? Independents charge per person or per vehicle?

Most of us have been to Cozumel more than once. So we want to see the other side.

Thank you so much for the info.

Someone else told me about the rental companies disengaging the 4X4 on their vehicles. Will they TELL you they are doing this? Also were you able to go to Playa Bonita and that restaurant w/o a problem driving there? Is it on a dirt (or sand) road? We will be in Cozumel 3/08/10 and have reserved a jeep, but should we just get an SUV instead because of the jeep issue? Sorry about so many questions. icon11.gifI just want to be prepared so we can relax & have a carefree day once we get there.

We are planning to rent a car, jeep or dune buggy in Cozumel. Do we have to buy special insurance from the rental company or should be check with our own car insurance? Thanks for all the tips.....we are looking forward to this.

Foreign insurance is not valid in Mexico. You will have to buy Mexican insurance when you rent the vehicle. Keep in mind that if you are in an accident with a national you will be at fault no matter what actually happened. It will take cash to keep you out of jail.

Foreign insurance is not valid in Mexico. You will have to buy Mexican insurance when you rent the vehicle. Keep in mind that if you are in an accident with a national you will be at fault no matter what actually happened. It will take cash to keep you out of jail.

That is kinda of scary. How much is Mexican insurance? Being that no matter what we will be at fault...do we need insurance?

We are planning to rent a car, jeep or dune buggy in Cozumel. Do we have to buy special insurance from the rental company or should be check with our own car insurance? Thanks for all the tips.....we are looking forward to this.

Definitely check with your insurance carrier. I believe that most ins co's do NOT pay directly to Mexico. In other words, you would have to pay out of pocket for damages and your ins co would then reimburse you. Also, I've heard that Mexico officials won't let you out of the country without paying all damages in full. So, if there is an accident, you have to pay up BEFORE you can get back on the ship. If you take the optional insurance coverage through the car rental company, make sure they tell you the amount of the deductible and what is not covered, so you know what benefits you are paying for.

All this said, we always decline the insurance and just drive carefully. Many, many people rent cars in Mexico every day with no altercations. I guess it would take just one small accident to make someone feel differently about declining the insurance... I am just stating what we do. You will have to decide the risk that is acceptable for you and proceed accordingly. Good luck!

So that was $65 (roughly) per person? Independents charge per person or per vehicle?

Most of us have been to Cozumel more than once. So we want to see the other side.

Thank you so much for the info.

Roughly $65 per vehicle for the whole day! Quite a savings vs. the excursion thru the ship! Have fun! Leah

That is kinda of scary. How much is Mexican insurance? Being that no matter what we will be at fault...do we need insurance?

Ummmm.... not sure where the previous poster is getting the info regarding "you" always being at fault vs a Mexican citizen. Cozumel is 100% dependent on tourism... if that was the case, the rental car business would have dried up years ago. The insurance the rental car company sells is OPTIONAL, not required. I believe the insurance was about $15 to $20 extra for the day, but I do not know how much the deductible was or what was included in the coverage. The rental car co will explain all this to you before you sign the dotted line. Again: many, many people rent cars in Mexico every day with no problems.

"Someone else told me about the rental companies disengaging the 4X4 on their vehicles. Will they TELL you they are doing this? Also were you able to go to Playa Bonita and that restaurant w/o a problem driving there? Is it on a dirt (or sand) road? We will be in Cozumel 3/08/10 and have reserved a jeep, but should we just get an SUV instead because of the jeep issue? Sorry about so many questions. icon11.gifI just want to be prepared so we can relax & have a carefree day once we get there."

Hi, finiansbay! The main road is all concrete, and very easy to drive to our "secret" restaurant on Playa Bonita! A Jeep is definitley the way to go IMHO, as long as you can tolerate the sun all day. Make sure you apply sunscreen several times! Even if the car rental company says the 4x4 is still intact, I personally still would not go off-roading. Not the type of risk we are willing to take. The remote side is so remote that you may be spending the night if you get stuck in the sand. Not my idea of a fun vacation... especially if it was lobster night on the ship! LOL!

Check out this link... http://cozumelmexico.net/Cozumel-Beaches.html

See the beach called "Playa San Martin"? That is the where our favorite restaurant is located. The signs now say the name of the beach is "Playa Bonita"... as of August 2009 anyway. Click on the different beaches to read more info. This info is dated, but mostly correct. I like this map because it shows you the main road that circles the south side of the island, as well as the road that slices thru the middle of the island. You can easily drive the entire "circle" in just a few hours. Watch your speed and avoid the dirt roads, IMHO! Have fun! Leah

Leah,

Thank you so much for your reassuring reply. The "Mexican jail" postings were starting to freak me out even more... My DH is the type who never gets the extra insurance and we have driven all over Europe (the ruined tire in Italy was expensive, but no jail time, LOL).

:)You gave me all the info I needed about Cozumel.

A week from today we will be there! We're from Orlando, but it had been unseasonably cool, and I am SO looking forward to this!

Thanks again. Your posts are great.

Peg

Leah,

Thank you so much for your reassuring reply. The "Mexican jail" postings were starting to freak me out even more... My DH is the type who never gets the extra insurance and we have driven all over Europe (the ruined tire in Italy was expensive, but no jail time, LOL).

A week from today we will be there! We're from Orlando, but it had been unseasonably cool, and I am SO looking forward to this!

Peg

I am so jealous you will be there next week! LOL! I still have to wait 40 more days! ;) Have a great day at my favorite restaurant and beach! Please come back to this post and tell us all about your fabulous day in Cozumel! Safe travels... Leah

BTW ~ We live close by... in Plant City. We travel to Orlando regularly... love those outlet malls! :)

Leah,

Peg

Two cruises ago to Coz my table mates rented a jeep for a fun day. They were hit by a drunk local. Straight to jail do not pass go. They had Mexican insurance for the jeep. The police brought one of the four back to the ship to get cash. $500 to get the rest out of jail, to pay the bribes and damage to the locals car. They barely made it back to the ship on time. So the person that told you no reason to buy insurance or not have cash handy is the one that is mistaken. It is a very common occurance in Cozumel for cruise ship tourist to get involved in accidents, specialy drinking and driving.

Leah,

Cool! Hope it won't be hard for us to spot these people to rent from.

Thank you so much!

Susie

Susie: The rental offices are easy to find. Just walk through the shops toward the taxi stand and you'll see the offices right there. The locals are very friendly, so don't be afraid to ask where the offices are located if you don't find them right away. Be sure to get off the ship as early as possible if you don't reserve ahead, to ensure the best pick of vehicles. Enjoy your day! Please come back and post about your travels in Cozumel! Leah

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all - just got back and wanted to post my review on this.

First of all, big thanks to CruiseVacationQueen for all the GREAT info!

Here it goes... I booked 2 jeeps in advance through Alamo and with all the great info from Leah (CruiseVacationQueen) we were prepared for our adventure!

By the way, you do not need to book a car in advance, there were plenty there and all 4 rental car places are literally right next door to each other. As long as you get off the ship right away I would go without a res and bargain for the best price next time! :D

Well we got to Cozumel and it was raining :( I guess we were due, all the times we’ve been to Cozumel we have had awesome weather. Needless to say that put a little wrench in our plans of driving around the island and stopping to snorkel along the way.

Since we would not be putting the top down on the jeeps we traded them for a minivan and all jumped in 1 vehicle (there were 7 of us) and we headed off around the island. Right after turning out of the Puerto Maya port area (if you go right) you have 2 options for driving around the island... the scenic route and the quicker route. If you choose scenic take a right at the first fork that is marked "Parque Chankanaab". It really doesn’t take that much longer and at some point you are actually driving right next to the other road anyway. We took this route. We stopped at various places along the way… Playa Corona, Carlos and Charlies Beach, Mr. Sanchos, Playa Morena, Playa San Martin (recommended by Leah), and Playa Oriente to name a few. Unfortunately it was only a quick stop to check it out because it was raining and cold and nobody really wanted to sit outside to eat. I could not believe how desolate the other side of the island was!!! Some really amazing little beaches over there too… all to yourself!!!! Well once we got back to the downtown area here’s where the problems started…. Its REALLY hard to find a place to park the car! We finally found a place several blocks away and headed to Carlos and Charlie’s where our group decided to heave lunch. I would have really liked to stop at one of those other little beach bars we saw on our adventure but unfortunately those places are not really set-up for dining in bad weather. Overall it was a great and easy drive and we will definitely do this again next time we are in Cozumel, hopefully with better weather!

Oh, by the way, I think we got ripped off for gas at the place across from the port so make sure you pump your own gas!!! (What the guy told us he pumped did not match what the pump said :mad:

Jessie

Hi, Jessie!

Glad you are back home safe and sound! So sorry it was raining in Cozumel... sounds like you had a great adventure, anyway! And... you are prepared for your next trip... you know just where to go and how to get there! We leave in 11 days on the Carnival Freedom... in Cozumel we are taking a taxi to Nachi Cocum Beach... doing things a little different this time... so the designated driver (me!) can enjoy the margaritas, also!

BTW... you may not have gotten ripped off at the gas pump. The $$ is in pesos, so it will not match the US dollars. We paid about $15 to fill up the tank on our little dune buggy... so I would imagine a mini-van could cost up to 3 times that amount. Does that sound about what you paid for gas... $50 or so, if you needed a full tank of gas?

Nice to "meet" you... hopefully we will run into each other online in the near future!

Leah

Definitely check with your insurance carrier. I believe that most ins co's do NOT pay directly to Mexico. In other words, you would have to pay out of pocket for damages and your ins co would then reimburse you. Also, I've heard that Mexico officials won't let you out of the country without paying all damages in full. So, if there is an accident, you have to pay up BEFORE you can get back on the ship. If you take the optional insurance coverage through the car rental company, make sure they tell you the amount of the deductible and what is not covered, so you know what benefits you are paying for.

All this said, we always decline the insurance and just drive carefully. Many, many people rent cars in Mexico every day with no altercations. I guess it would take just one small accident to make someone feel differently about declining the insurance... I am just stating what we do. You will have to decide the risk that is acceptable for you and proceed accordingly. Good luck!

I believe Coz to be very "safe" in many ways but after reading some reports here on CC from people who had accidents while renting vehicles on Coz....on a one day cruise excursion I wouldn't take the gamble. You can be as careful as you like but if someone else hits YOU, you still have to go through the hassle. I'm not good at searching for posts but as I recall reading here...in Mexico you're "guilty until proven innocent" not like here in the states, among other stories of having to come up with a great deal of cash before the Mexican police would allow people to leave.

IF you feel like the benefits outweigh the risks, I would only rent a vehicle through a ship excursion, that way if something happens, the boat will wait for you or at least help you get back home. Maybe.

I would love to see the other side of the island one day but I would rent a driver for a day, I'd never rent a vehicle for one day.

Archived