Nachi Cocom vs San Francisco Beach

rykaydad

We'll be traveling with some young children (4 & 7) and wondering which beach break would be the most appealing to them. It looks like Nachi Cocom is very appealing to adults, but I don't know about amenities for children. We will also have 2 teenagers with us. Any opinions out there?

We'll be traveling with some young children (4 & 7) and wondering which beach break would be the most appealing to them. It looks like Nachi Cocom is very appealing to adults, but I don't know about amenities for children. We will also have 2 teenagers with us. Any opinions out there?

I haven't been to Nachi Cocom but went to San Francisco beach last year. San Francisco is nice - clear water to swim in (no good snorkeling), lots of chairs, attentive waiters, and a menu with decent prices. There is no charge for the chairs/umbrellas, but they ask that each individual spend $10+ on food/beverages. If you are there all day, that is easy enough to spend on lunch and a tropical drink per person (smoothies for the kids :)) If your kids will have fun swimming, building sand castles, etc. it is a great choice.

Next door to San Francisco is Paradise Beach. Same deal as San Francisco, with the added "bonus" that you can buy a wristband for $10 that allows you to use their water toys, including water trampolines, a floating rock wall, and more. It might be a good choice if your kids are more active. Prices for food and drink were slightly higher than at San Francisco (at least as of last December).

We were at Nachi in October. If your little ones like to be in the ocean, this will be tough for them. There is a large soft rocky area at a depth that your kids would probably want to play at..meaning, lots of corals that form a shelf at probably knee deep or so...not easy to walk on as an adult at all.. It's a fairly quick slope into deeper water..I think it would be something that would make you very nervous throughout the day. The pool however, has a very large shallow shelf they could have a lot of fun on..you could sit in the water with them...but no barrier between the end of the shelf and the stairs into deeper water.

Paradise beach has water toys like a climbing wall and trampoline that I'm sure your teens will want to play on. You can buy a wristband for them ( think its 10 pp)...as a matter of fact, THIS is the beach that we would be taking our girls to,(13 &16) if we hadn't booked the Miracle's Southern Caribbean itinerary in October.

Paradise is 'pay as you go', Nachi is all inclusive...

Here is a picture of the Nachi pool.. If you look near the umbrella at the back of the photo, you can see a darker blue line in the water..that is where the stairs are to go deeper into the pool. It's easliy 6 or 8 feet of shallow ( no deeper than your youngests knees) water to the stairs.

NachiPool.jpg

Archived