I am sick and tired...

Steelermoose

Nope. Nope. Nope.

I don't hate anyone. Why are NY'rs so defensive?

As I said, just curious.. not defending anything.. I don't feel the need to ;)

It is well known that Manhattan apartments make the most of limited space - something to study if you are in that position in some other part of the country.

I lived in NYC for years.. had a prewar co-op .. 12 foot ceilings- it was huge.. Limited space? not quite..

I have a friend on Central Park West-has a 4 bedroom apartment with 4 fireplaces and enourmous closets.. space is definitely not an issue..

Now those that feel they MUST live in NYC- (instead of the boroughs) and usually beyond their means -are the ones living in shoebox studios... That i don't quite get..

Decades ago a friend of mine move from the South up there. She loves it. Thrives. I don't get it. We visited her last month and had a great time - never left her Park Avenue apartment. Decided to eat in instead of the stress of going out. Had Chinese delivered (very New York). It was interesting that Con Ed had no more respect for her neighborhood than whoever was doing construction near our hotel not that far from Letterman. Noisy, noisy, noisy.

Well it is a city-there is noise and construction constantly..

The next couple of nights were much better at a friend's house on Long Island. Houses with yards. Amazing. Some great home cooked meals. Only went out one night to a comedy club which was pretty good. He buys, remodels, and sells houses for a low markup if you need more space. You could probably buy a dozen of his for what my Manhattan friend's apartment is now worth.

Aint that the truth!...My house on LI would be a mere fraction of the cost down south...

While in the city I lost count of how many times I heard drivers yelling at each other - "I'm gonna %$^$%^ KILL YOU". Of course, all talk - I had the camera ready but no action.

NYC Ventilation system?? .. it is quite silly-

My kind of place - I don't think so. Interesting to visit, but not too often.

Speaking of lobster - there was a lobster place she mentioned, forgot the name but sounded cheap - next door to the Chelsea Hotel. Spanish to boot ??? But anyway, could it be as good as the best of Boston or Maine? I dunno.

Couldn't tell you.. don't eat lobster... but City Crab is pretty good... Not quite Baltimore.. but it's good.

not acceptable!! That person should have the italian dna ripped from her body.

It's also sad what has become of little italy. What used to be a great place to find cheap, authentic italian food has become a place of overpriced, horrible "restaurants". Now - chinatown is still awesome!

wo hops!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't decide which is worse, Applebee's or Olive Garden..

But they are there for the tourists

Oh, let's add to the list:

-Red Lobster

-Ruby Tuesdays

-Hard Rock Cafe

-Planet Hollywood

I mean, really folks, if you're going to visit and *must* go to a chain, why not go to one of the fifteen Rosie O'Grady's or Connolly's in the Times Square Area?

-Red Lobster

-Ruby Tuesdays

-Hard Rock Cafe

-Planet Hollywood

I mean, really folks, if you're going to visit and *must* go to a chain, why not go to one of the fifteen Rosie O'Grady's or Connolly's in the Times Square Area?

you are killing me... laughing my butt off

Worst food ever...

-Red Lobster

-Ruby Tuesdays

-Hard Rock Cafe

-Planet Hollywood

True confession time - my nephew, visiting from Arizona, insisted that I take him to the Hard Rock. The burger was pretty good.

Now pardon me while I go hang my head in shame.

True confession time - my nephew, visiting from Arizona, insisted that I take him to the Hard Rock. The burger was pretty good.

Just block out the interior with your favorite hole-in-the-wall coffee shop and we'll all pretend it didn't happen.

It was the touristy thing to do!

What about Dr Jekyls!! or Harley Davidson.. are they even still open ?

Last time I was that far uptown was for a show at Le Bar Bat

Well... at least Jekyll and Hyde's had/has some character to it... (don't know if it's still open???)

Speaking of chinatown... I've heard that wo-hop is good... but let me tell you, if you ever can go... try Joe's Shanghai on Pell St. It's a dive and half... but the soup dumplings are a religous experience.

I love Connolly's. All thirty of them in the Theatre District. ;)

Unfortunately, R.O.'s now reminds my of the death of the King of Pop, as that was where we were dining that night.

On a happier note, the following month we ate there again, and found this around the corner:

4742652-1.jpg

Well... at least Jekyll and Hyde's had/has some character to it... (don't know if it's still open???)

Speaking of chinatown... I've heard that wo-hop is good... but let me tell you, if you ever can go... try Joe's Shanghai on Pell St. It's a dive and half... but the soup dumplings are a religous experience.

I think Jekyll and Hyde's is still around. Back in my party days I used to go to Wo Hop after all the bars closed. Cheap and good.

But my favorite place for Dim Sum is Golden Unicorn - unbelievable. I have a few coworkers that speak Chinese and that makes the experience even better!

Thats Ok I admit to going to Beefsteak Charlies and B.O.S.S a few times :(

I didn't have the cultured palette I do now ,so the promise of all the beer, wine or sangria I could pour down my gullet was quite a draw. *LOL*

Same... a coworker speaks Chinese... she just asks what we would like ... and then rattles it off to the server. She never disappoints.

Couple of my favorites there: Crispy beef and the fried flounder (comes out whole... it's a little creepy, but once you taste it, you get over the fact that it is staring at you).

soup dumpling:

012-vi.jpg

Ok New Yorkers

Trying to remember an old time restaurant.

It was a German beer garden type place (a chain I believe). there was one right in the theater district right near the Palace Theater.

I want to say WeinerWald or something like that and it was painted bright green.

It always reminded me of the place Rat took Stacy on their date in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"

Archived