Anyone have experience with Carnival and guarantees?

infoprof56

We are booked on the Miracle for Dec 22. We did a guarantee for both our cabin and our kid’s cabin. The kids got assigned weeks ago, but we are still TBA. Wanted to print docs but they won't have our cabin number so the luggage tags would useless. In the past (on other lines) when we had guarantee we were assigned much earlier than this. With only 15 days to go, should I be concerned?

We did guarentee wiyh Carnival 2 times and the 1st time I called a week before sailing date and was told we were upgraded to a suite,the 2nd time we were told at the dock when we checked in.Good Luck

TOM

Wow 15 days is pretty close!

I've been assigned as early as 70 days out and as late as about 30 - but I've only done guarantee a few times.

Hope it works out!!

In my experience, the later you are assigned, the better the chance for an upgrade. You can still print your documents and you could add the room number or pick up the ones the dock workers have.

I've been on guarantees 6 out of 9 Carnival cruises and always recieved my assignment at the peir on departure day. It's never been a big deal (always a bit of an adventure actually to see where you end up!) and I wouldn't worry about luggage tags. The "TBA" tags are pointless, they'll just look up your assignment curbside, rip off the TBA tags and replace them with the right ones on the spot. I always keep a few return address lables for mail in my carry-on for just this reason: just peel, stick, write your cabin number and walk away!

As for upgrades I've gone as much as from a 1A to a 6C (loved the window!) I would expect Platinum cruisers rank a bit higher on the list for upgrades, but who really understands the strange thinking of the upgrade fairy, she's a mystery to all!

I've been on guarantees 6 out of 9 Carnival cruises and always recieved my assignment at the peir on departure day. It's never been a big deal (always a bit of an adventure actually to see where you end up!) and I wouldn't worry about luggage tags. The "TBA" tags are pointless, they'll just look up your assignment curbside, rip off the TBA tags and replace them with the right ones on the spot. I always keep a few return address lables for mail in my carry-on for just this reason: just peel, stick, write your cabin number and walk away!

As for upgrades I've gone as much as from a 1A to a 6C (loved the window!) I would expect Platinum cruisers rank a bit higher on the list for upgrades, but who really understands the strange thinking of the upgrade fairy, she's a mystery to all!

Sometimes if you call a week or so before your sailing date they can tell you.

i would call about a week away from your sail date. the one and only time we booked a guarantee inside cabin, we never got the cabin assignment. i just figured we would find out at the pier. when we got there and ask the porter which cabin we would be in, he didn't see it on the list. we left our luggage and went through the line thinking they would tell us when we checked in and we could make sure our luggage got tagged. we were never assigned a cabin and the only thing left was a 1A. they didn't want to give us that because we would have been due a refund. they ask us to wait until 30 mins before sailing to get the no-show list. we were given visitor passes and drink coupons and allowed to go on the ship until then. we left our carry on bags(& other luggage) in the office all this time. about 45 mins before sailing we went back to the terminal and waited until the list came down. we were given a very nice OV midship on empress deck. it worked out good for us but it was kinda nerve racking thinking we were going to be in buck beds for four days. we decided not to book a guarantee again. i would call about a week before and make sure they don't forget about you like they did us. i hope you enjoy your cruise!!!:)

We are booked on the Miracle for Dec 22. We did a guarantee for both our cabin and our kid’s cabin. The kids got assigned weeks ago, but we are still TBA. Wanted to print docs but they won't have our cabin number so the luggage tags would useless. In the past (on other lines) when we had guarantee we were assigned much earlier than this. With only 15 days to go, should I be concerned?

It seems strange that your Kids got their assigned Cabin # and you did not.

I would think that All the Guarantee Cabins would be up and ready on or about the same day or two

We as a group of 65 Cabins on the Dream for Feb. 20th, all got ours on the same day or two (those who had not gone ahead and booked the cabin they wanted first). So I think I would be making a quick call to your TA or Carnival and see what they might have to say... Can't hurt to call ...

I booked my first true Balcony Guarantee a few weeks ago. This will be my first Platinum cruise and I received my room assignment and just got one category higher than if I would have booked an exact cabin (8C to an 8D). Mostly we like to pay for and book an exact cabin, but with the recession/depression going on, we thought we'd save a little and book guarantee. We did save money; the 8D is $120 less pp than we actually paid.

Also, we're celebrating a birthday on this cruise noted on the reservation. I don't think the upgrade fairy looks at celebrations or Platinum status when giving out big upgrades.

I think the days of upgrades for guarantee cabins is almost over. As you get closer to the cruise, Carnival calls many cruisers with paid for (assigned) cabins and asks if they want to pay a bit more for a better cabin (location, deck, middle of the ship, Suite, etc.) You get what is left after. It makes sense because Carnival gets nothing from an upgrade while they make some thing if you change to a better location. Hence establishing a cabin location for guarantee cabins is being pushed back. In addition, they charge considerably more to get an assigned cabin so why give out guarantee cabins early in the cruise?

Thanks for the responses. I am not sure if I feel better or worse however. We did call our PVP a few days ago and he said not to worry. But now we are only 7 days from sailing and we are still TBA. I would be happy if they would call and offer the up sale if it was a resonable price. It is the not knowing that concerns me. As long as we have a cabin I will be happy. Actually, I would probably be happy if I had to sleep in a deck chair.

Archived