Carnival Fly Aweigh Program

Baxter

I am looking for information from anyone who has used this program flying from a more-northern city. I am satisfied with the price...have done my research, and I'm good with it.

I would be flying from North Dakota (driving down from Manitoba). I am a little nervous about flying in the day of the cruise. I know I can do a deviation, but if I do that, it is significantly cheaper to book on my own (can book air through Carnival for $449...deviation flight quoted at $861).

If you have flown from a northern US city:

- Did they fly you in the day of the cruise?

- Did it work out?

- Any comments about the air experience through Carnival?

I am looking for information from anyone who has used this program flying from a more-northern city. I am satisfied with the price...have done my research, and I'm good with it.

I would be flying from North Dakota (driving down from Manitoba). I am a little nervous about flying in the day of the cruise. I know I can do a deviation, but if I do that, it is significantly cheaper to book on my own (can book air through Carnival for $449...deviation flight quoted at $861).

- Did it work out?

Oh my God - I wish my computer hadn't crashed I would have sent you my experience. Did the Flyaweigh we were saving $1200.00 for 4 of us by going with them - from Northern Ontario and couldn't make connections so flew us in a day ahead of time, comped us rooms, shuttle etc - sounds like it was too good to be true and it was - plane had problems here and had to drive to Duluth over night in Minni fly to Miami shuttle to ship Ft L with 15 minutes to spare. Flight home was even worse, they figured we could connect with a 15 minute leeway - took 15 minutes just to get from one gate to next taking one of the motorized carts (but plane was late arriving anyway) - Carnival hung us out to dry and said not their problem - the plane wasn't and we dealt with that but the connections were. They also had us on an 8:30 AM flight out at end of cruise and we weren't even starting to debark until 11:00 due to a medical emergency. Tried to talk to them but almost said - "so said too bad". I will always book on my own from now on as I know how fast I can haul ass from one gate to the next. The savings was over shadowed by everything else. I still will sail Carnival as I love the ship, experience and price just not the Fly program.

I live in Iowa and used Fly Aweigh to fly to San Juan in January. The scheduled flight(s) they gave us were way too close for the things you need to consider at that time of year. We paid the deviation and went the day before....still cheaper than finding the flights on our own.

I don't think I'd use their air again. It is much easier to just "get what you want" on your own. We did deviate but we were still at the mercy of their choice of times, which didn't get us to PR until 11pm the night before the cruise.

It might be different price wise flying from Canada though.

We too have used Carnival's air program - twice from Pittsburgh in February.

2 main issues with it for us....

1.they flew us in the day of - a little too close for our comfort both times.

2. no choice of flight times - or seats. DH and I were not seated together when the flight info arrived.Airline would not talk to us about fixing it until the day of - at the airport. Once we were able to fix the seats to be together - but not the other :(

We no longer even ask about their air programs. We would much rather make our own arrangments.

Our experience was horrible. Too involved to explain, but we missed our cruise. We were told cruiseline would get us to the first port, etc etc didnt happen. also since they arranged air they would make sure alternative arrangements were made, didnt happen. Airline was worthless (even thought it was ultimately their problem to solve). Strongly recommend arranging your own air travel AND arriving day before. Cannot emphasize this enough. AND BUY INSURANCE.

My flight from BOS was no problem. HOWEVER, even with a deviation I spent ELEVEN HOURS in MCO waiting for a return flight. I book my own air now. I would not use this program again. It's way cheaper to book on your own, usually ,and you have choice of flight times.Our flight times kept getting changed,too- like 5 or 6 times.

• 1 month later...

I was looking to book a cruise, but it does not show the fly aweigh option on the website. I've gotten to the point of entering my name and address and other info, but it still doesn't show the fly aweigh option. I don't want to proceed without first knowing how much their price is for the air. Anybody know anything about this?

Thanks so much!:confused:

The company that hubby works for uses a national TA service for his travel and he is FOREVER having to double check behind them to make sure they haven't given him a 20 minute layover in an airport like O'Hare.

The same thing with the airline when you are using free points for airface...you have to really watch the options they give you ....because many times there is not enough layover time at connections.

Personally, I think Carnival would prefer to get out of the "airline" business in todays flying world. It is a ZOO.

The key is using the deviation to fly in a day ahead. I only few in the day of ONE time (San Juan) and barely made it after a Northwest plane (full of cruisers headed to Miami and then onto San Juan) went out for maintenance.

NEVER AGAIN.....

If the Carnival deviation costs to much then book it independently.

Don't try to save money ...it isn't worth it.

And ALWAYS buy insurance.....

- Did it work out?

They usually fly you out the day of your cruise often with very little room for anything unexpected. Yes you can get the deviation but the cost is high usually.

I would HIGHLY suggest you book your flights on your own and go at least 1 day prior to cruising which will give you room for delays due to weather/Plane issues etc. Get insurance as well for the unexpected.

Archived