New Epic build pictures?

ddakrt

Well here is another RCI Cruiser that cannot wait to sample what NCL and particularly the Epic has to offer.

I think she looks great.

Me too!

shipspotting has 2 more pics added today (4/21). She looks pretty with a big blue sky!

http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=1098790

and

http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=1098792

Just another jealous RCI cruiser ;)

The ewwww was my personal feeling of the ships appearance.:eek:

Accusing me of being a "jealous RCI cruiser" is purely ignorant.:o

I happen to find the ship ugly. Nothing more and nothing less. Just commenting on how I view the exterior of the ship. Heck, never stated I wouldn’t sail on her. :p

As for being a RCI cruiser, I think I prefer Princess over RCI....yet to be determined.

]But, NCL....IMHO, has some of the ugliest ships afloat.:cool:

Knotin - Are you kidding me? It's nice to have a NCL ship in port. They liven up the pier area with their looks. The hull art of all their ships is delightful and gives you a reason to photograph them as a work of art in an of themselves. I find other company's ships so sterile and trust me I've sailed on them. I do agree the actual exterior look of this ships is a bit boxy and not crazy about that and the hull art of the Epic I think could have been more spectacular but whatever... I'm sailing on her and not looking at her most of the time so as long as the nightlife is good then I'm one happy cruiser!!! :D

Well, I have been very patient with my response but I must say that as far as I can tell.....

My view FROM the ship will be 100 times better than AT the ship.

I don't care too much for the scrolly painting on the hull either, but they didn't ask THIS designer what they should put there. It just seems so main-stream for such a grand ship.

At first when looking at the artists rendering I thought the EPIC looked like a floating ice-cream cake from Baskin Robbins! Now, I'm convinced of it.

That being said, I am totally stoked about sailing on her and laughing at myself for being so dang critical of "the hat".....because thats where we'll be hanging out.

The ewwww was my personal feeling of the ships appearance.:eek:

Accusing me of being a "jealous RCI cruiser" is purely ignorant.:o

I happen to find the ship ugly. Nothing more and nothing less. Just commenting on how I view the exterior of the ship. Heck, never stated I wouldn’t sail on her. :p

As for being a RCI cruiser, I think I prefer Princess over RCI....yet to be determined.

]But, NCL....IMHO, has some of the ugliest ships afloat.:cool:

I don't find the Epic ugly anymore (I will admit I did when I first saw the original black and white sketches though), it's not a beauty queen by any means, but I now find it interesting to look at and fairly nice in many angles.

The PoA on the other had is down right hideous, no other ways around that one.

Otherwise I find that NCL has one of the most attractive looking fleets; the Jewel class ships are very sleek and are my favorite modern ships in terms of appearance, their Dawn class sisters are right up there just because how similar they are.

IMHO Princess easily has the ugliest fleet by far. Their duck beak ships are simply horrible... It also doesn't help that there are so many of them built over the years.

Cmon, face it. Epic is ugly. It reminds me of when a mother is trying to get their kid on a date and they tell the child that the person they have lined up has a 'nice' personality.

Hopefull for Epic the insides are what counts.

As far as design on the Exterior, I don't care what angle you see here, she is an ugly duckling.

I think the design of the Solstice Class ships are very well done. Probably my vote for overall design and look excellence in a ship.

Anyone remember when the Fantasy or Sovereign class came out. They looked amazing in their day.

I find the Radiance class amongst the nicest overall even though not the newest. when you balance inside and out.

Oasis was truly unique and given that is has to battle it's massive size she still looks sleek and modern.

Princess ships look like they have a "grab" bar at the back to hang them up with when you are done with them.

As far as Jewel class, they are nice but not sure they would win an any design award for standing out as exceptional.

I find a lot of ships are not innovative looking. Hal and MSC for example. (not commenting on the inside here, just the outside). Eurodam and Posia for example look nice and clean, but not '"WOW" check that out.

While I will wait to see Epic to truly judge her. It just looks like that front section was a total afterthought.

"Hey, lets throw this section up top and see what happens".

On a side note, one comment I often hear is that the Hull Art does not look appropriate in the Med.

Ahhh. To have a life where we discuss such trivialities. :)

Cmon, face it. Epic is ugly. It reminds me of when a mother is trying to get their kid on a date and they tell the child that the person they have lined up has a 'nice' personality.

Hopefull for Epic the insides are what counts.

As far as design on the Exterior, I don't care what angle you see here, she is an ugly duckling.

I think the design of the Solstice Class ships are very well done. Probably my vote for overall design and look excellence in a ship.

Anyone remember when the Fantasy or Sovereign class came out. They looked amazing in their day.

I find the Radiance class amongst the nicest overall even though not the newest. when you balance inside and out.

Oasis was truly unique and given that is has to battle it's massive size she still looks sleek and modern.

Princess ships look like they have a "grab" bar at the back to hang them up with when you are done with them.

As far as Jewel class, they are nice but not sure they would win an any design award for standing out as exceptional.

I find a lot of ships are not innovative looking. Hal and MSC for example. (not commenting on the inside here, just the outside). Eurodam and Posia for example look nice and clean, but not '"WOW" check that out.

While I will wait to see Epic to truly judge her. It just looks like that front section was a total afterthought.

"Hey, lets throw this section up top and see what happens".

On a side note, one comment I often hear is that the Hull Art does not look appropriate in the Med.

Ahhh. To have a life where we discuss such trivialities. :)

I too think the Solstice class look great, the character line near her bow looks great and is unique. The entire front half of the ship is very classy.

I'm not as big on her aft, there are just too many balconies when looking from the back; but then I can't really fault Celebrity for wanting more balconies on their ship.

The biggest thing for me with the Solstice class ships are the lido deck overhang and it's many support bars. I would hate to have a balcony on the deck right below the lido and see some 10ft of the above deck extending out over me.

I too give the designers of the Oasis a lot of credit for hiding it's bulk, at least from it's sides (the view directly from the front and back are ummmm...far less successful...).

I really love the design of Carnival's Conquest class ships though; it's got a very unique look with the short and stubby bow and the higher-than-rest-of-the-ship front section. They're starting to look dated now with so many built, but I bet they looked very futuristic when the design originated with the Destiny.

With the Epic, I honestly find her to look good directly from the side. The hat doesn't look as bulky and her length balance everything out. The top heavy look is gone when looking at the entire ship from the side too.

Heck, I'll even say I like how the inward and downward slanting of the front of the hat from the side view. :p

A couple of dry dock pics were uploaded yesterday.

http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=1102014

http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=1102424

http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=1102439

2 of those actually shows the starboard side of the ship, whereas before all full side shots were of the port side.

Edit: From the far away picture, you can also clearly see they're not using the new NCL logo on the funnels.

Kris - You are right... they have the old logo on the Epic which I have to say is a GREAT idea! I love the old logo. The new one looks like a child designed it and I'm much less of a fan of the new logo then the Epic's hull art. :eek:

The middle picture where you can see the logo also makes the Epic look huge! Having something to compare it to with the land and trees and such... wow!

Thanks for posting! Here's hoping at today's webcast that they show new pictures!!!

Kris - You are right... they have the old logo on the Epic which I have to say is a GREAT idea! I love the old logo. The new one looks like a child designed it and I'm much less of a fan of the new logo then the Epic's hull art. :eek:

The middle picture where you can see the logo also makes the Epic look huge! Having something to compare it to with the land and trees and such... wow!

Thanks for posting! Here's hoping at today's webcast that they show new pictures!!!

I think the same way too. The new logo looks too simple, the "old" one does look a lot better.

They showed 2 "new" pictures of the Epic on today's webcast. Nothing that we haven't seen before, but they're new nonetheless. I'll upload those in a second.

Here are the 2 pictures I was talking about:

untitled.jpg

untitled2.jpg

That is not Kevin Sheehan nor is it Roberto Martinoli. They just added the arrows and names as a joke. It's interesting that you see one of the people applying paint to the hullart, the art of the other ships are giant decals; I wonder if the Epic's is paint on instead.

It's also nice to see they're starting to take the tape off of the windows!

Archived