must eats

tantrumxp

Hmmmm you didnt say if you were just there for the day or a pre/post cruise stay........

either way - head to La Bombonera for breakfast or lunch. At breakfast they have the most wonderful fresh baked pastries and sweet breads..... try a mallorca ! Ham and cheese is so good...... also have regular breakfast fare and true Puerto Rican dishes for lunch etc.

This is a 100+ year old diner/bakery and many locals eat there as well as tourists. Not fancy but real deal. 4 adults had a wonderful breakfast for $ 16.00 including tip :)

Fresh squeezed o.j. and coffee made from locally grown beans in a huge contraption served by waiters wearing bow ties !

Definately a must do. Right in old San Juan.

me and the gf are foodies, what are some must eats in OSJ. im def going to barrachinos to try the pina coladas but not going to eat there. any recommendations.

Parrot Club or Dragonfly- http://www.oofrestaurants.com

Raices- http://www.restauranteraices.com/English/index.html

Tangerine- http://www.waterbeachclubhotel.com/index.php?page=dining.php

Pamelas- http://www.numero1guesthouse.com/pamelas.html

Enjoy!

I can't say where (though Toonjie had a nice list), my favorite PR foods-

Churrasco steak, mofongo filled with seafood, and rice and stewed beans (arroz y habechuelas). I don't know if you will be able to find lechon, but that is delicious slow roasted pork.

Two places that I haven't tried yet, but wanto:

There is an asador (slow roasting cooking) on San Francisco St. that has a variety on nice meats.

The other night we went to the food fest and a old Spanish place on Foteleza had the most delicious looking seafood paella.

You will not go hungry!

OOOOOO OOOOOO YES..... Pamelas !!!!!!!! We ate dinner there one night ....... best meal of the whole trip !!!! Pricey tho. Right on the beach but not in old San Juan.

also - for casual lunch - El Picoteo in the courtyard of El Convento hotel.

Tapas. The ceviche is delicioso......as is the shrimp, lobster empanadas, calamari but watch out for the Picoteo punch !!!!! :D Old San Juan location.

OOOOOO OOOOOO YES..... Pamelas !!!!!!!! We ate dinner there one night ....... best meal of the whole trip !!!! Pricey tho. Right on the beach but not in old San Juan.

also - for casual lunch - El Picoteo in the courtyard of El Convento hotel.

Tapas. The ceviche is delicioso......as is the shrimp, lobster empanadas, calamari but watch out for the Picoteo punch !!!!! :D Old San Juan location.

I'll second El Picoteo, that would have been next on my list. If you want a tapas bar, this is it is OSJ. Great location near the shopping as well so a great choice for lunch. It's on the way from El Morro to shopping, so you could spend the morning exploring the fort, head to lunch at El Picoteo and then move on to shopping.

I have craving for mofunga and i don't even know what it is. Can someone please fill me in.We are also coming in the day before the cruise and are looking for some good eats. The group from cc made dinner plans at Barracinas but i'm not seeing great reviews about it. Is it overrated? Thanks.

I absolutely LOVED La Bombonera! We went there twice on our last cruise (once before the cruise and once after) for breakfast. It's a great way to start your day. :)

Personally, my boyfriend and I both enjoy Barracchinas. It is a little pricey, but the bartenders have always been great to talk to, and it's a nice place to just chill. We always sit at the bar--and usually once you chat up the bartender, the drinks get stiffer. ;)

Can anyone tell me where to find good paella in OSJ for lunch?

Thanks!

As posted - El Picoteo in the courtyard of the El Convento hotel not only has wonderful tapas BUT ALSO really good paella.

And best yet - the location is great - close to port and in the heart of old San Juan.

Go to Karma in OSJ-its indonesian-puerto rican fushion and OMG it was one of the best meals Ive ever had: I ordered shrimp rissotto w truffle essence, duck chimichura pancakes with plum sauce, and these deep fried seaweed wrapped chicken things off the appetizer menu so I could try a bunch of things. Very nice martini menu, cool atmosphere and very good waiter.

thanks yall for the response i will def look those up. im actually there from 4-11pm as a stop over from nyc this dec. i think 22 or 23rd. getting excited to leave this sunday and a good vacation. happy holidays everyone

Have a great cruise and you can't go wrong with any of the above mentioned places, they are all a nice change from cruise fare. Just decide what you are in the mood for that day and enjoy! Then walk it off exploring the beauty of Old San Juan.

me and the gf are foodies, what are some must eats in OSJ. im def going to barrachinos to try the pina coladas but not going to eat there. any recommendations.

I went to Barrachina's in april for dinner post cruise with my hubby. The food was good. I had a mofongo filled with shredded beef.

I had pina coladas..I did get a nice buzz off it..BUT funny thing was Anthony Bourdain's No reservations show just did a repeat of his PR show and he made fun of Barrachina's. He went because he had heard it was where the PC was invented..and when he asked to have one made for him..they basically made their usual bulk drink...dumping gallons of canned pineapple juice and coco nut juice in a giant frozen drink mixer and then they add rum at the bottom of the glass and "dispense" your pina colada from the frozen drink machine. I can make the same thing at home! But you are there..it is hot and you want something cool and tropical..go for it!

I return again in March and I am looking to try something different..maybe dragonfly..not sure yet.

I've read that a restaurant called "Yerba Buena" is suppose to be pretty good. It's located somewhere near the Marriott Stellaris (Condado area).

Never been there but am thinking about trying it.

Has anyone ever been there and if so - comments?

Where we ate this week:

1. Metropol was excellent..."best of Puerto Rico"...We had the fried whole red snapper and the Cuban sampler plate. Also best Pina Colada on this trip so far.
  2. Mi Casita was hit and miss. We had one excellent lunch and one horrible dinner.
  3. Don Carlos had the best mofongo, but the shrimp were way overcooked.
  4. La Bambonera was perfect for breakfast this morning. We loved the egg-bacon-cheese mallorca and the cafe con leche. YUM!
  5. Taco Maker was interesting. Not Taco Bell by any means but something entirely different. If you enjoy checking out regional chains, this is one of them!

Archived