Xunatunich or Lamanai?

debshomespun

Which is the larger of the 2 Mayan Ruins? I don't know which one I want to go see yet. I am leaning towards the Lamanai. From my research, it seems this is the larger of the 2? Which one is more impressive? We have not been to any of the large Mayan Ruins. I have only seen some very small ruins in Cozumel area. Thinking of going with the independent company of http://www.belizecruiseexcursions.com They seem to have some very good reviews. Going in Feb. from our Liberty cruise.

Which is the larger of the 2 Mayan Ruins? I don't know which one I want to go see yet. I am leaning towards the Lamanai. From my research, it seems this is the larger of the 2? Which one is more impressive?

I don't know about Lamanai, but DW and I went to Xunantunich on Dec. 3. Here are some pics of the ruins. It is a 2-hour bus-ride out there and back. And it's a steep climb to the top of El Castillo, so were shoes with good grip.

142.jpg.ad9826db3a9c019827e45a5d6120f1b6.jpg

153.jpg.c144336c2b78b1f68e58570a781a6a5f.jpg

155.jpg.738370bfb08448a59f0499a18f928437.jpg

I've been to both and enjoyed both very much. Lamanai is the larger of the two, but unfortunately you will only get to see a handful of structures due to time constraints. Xunantunich has a taller "pyramid." Of the two, I think that Lamanai is the better experience because of the river trip is much more enjoyable than the extra hour in the bus. In addition, you will likely see (and hear) Howler Monkeys at Lamanai and see other wildlife along the river. That really makes Lamanai a superior trip in my opinion. Here are pictures of both:

Xunantunich: http://www.pbase.com/2112/xunantunich

Lamanai: http://www.pbase.com/2112/lamanai

Thanks 2112! I had already looked at your pictures, and that is why I was leaning towards Lamanai. Your pics are great! Looks like you enjoyed both ruins. I feel safe in booking this independently with belize cruise excursions since we will be in port from 7:00AM until 5:00PM. We will be in Belize on Jan 28 on the Navigator, then again feb 10 on the Liberty, and are in port longer on the Liberty, so choose to do the Lamanai that day.

this site is great to learn the history of each site:

http://www.belizeexplorer.com/cgi-local/explorer.cgi?db=explorer&uid=default&Category=Mayan+Sites&view_records=1&nh=1

the main thing, Xunantunich has been exposed to the public, archaeologists and weather longer then lamanai has. that's one of the reason i chose lamanai.

Hi Toyz! Nice to happen upon a recent post of yours. You were son hlpful to me a couple years agou when I was brand new to Cruise Critic and I remember how enthused you were then about Lamanai. We opted for cave tubing 2 years ago and now we are considering Lamanai this time around (next week!). Do not see it on Carnival's website as one of their excursions?? Did you book independently or through your ship? Do you happen to know if you do book thru the ship -- is it cheaper to do it online prior to sailing than booking on the ship?

Lamanai isn't a Carnival excursion - wish it was...

I am a big fan of private excursions, but just got off the Valor yesterday and took a Carnival excursion in Belize to Xunantunich. I am quite thankful that I did, as we had a series of minor mishaps on our return and were back at the pier at just minutes before 5pm. The last tender was at 4:15 pm and the ship was scheduled to leave at 5pm. A tender was waiting for us and we were hurried through, but not at all panicked, as we knew there had been communication between our tour guide and the excursion rep for carnival.

BTW, the ruins were fantastic and the view from the top were even better. It was a long ride, but didn't seem so bad as there was enough to see of the changing countryside as you went from the coast west towards the guatemalan border. The roads really weren't that bad, in fact, they were being repaved in areas.

i used belize cruise excursions and i totally recommend them. they were very aware of getting us back on time.

on a side note, when i was there two weeks ago on the navigator, the ship changed ship time from EST to CST to match the ports. just make sure they are aware that this can happen because they made the assumption that our ship stayed on EST which would have put our ship in port (based on ship time) 1hr earlier than we actually got there. they were expecting us to arrive earlier than was physically possible.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been to both and enjoyed both very much. Lamanai is the larger of the two, but unfortunately you will only get to see a handful of structures due to time constraints. Xunantunich has a taller "pyramid." Of the two, I think that Lamanai is the better experience because of the river trip is much more enjoyable than the extra hour in the bus. In addition, you will likely see (and hear) Howler Monkeys at Lamanai and see other wildlife along the river. That really makes Lamanai a superior trip in my opinion. Here are pictures of both:

Xunantunich: http://www.pbase.com/2112/xunantunich

Lamanai: http://www.pbase.com/2112/lamanai

2112:

Your pics were great! While on the excursions, did you notice any problem with insects or concern over eating the lunch that was served? I read a couple of posts that stated (this year) there is a typhoid-like and malaria problem anywhere outside Belize City. Then I read elsewhere (not CC) that there is no insect problem at Xunantunich because you are in the mountains. Curious to hear your experience and thoughts. I will be in Belize next month and was going back and forth as to which excursion.

Thank you,

Debbie

2112:

Your pics were great! While on the excursions, did you notice any problem with insects or concern over eating the lunch that was served? I read a couple of posts that stated (this year) there is a typhoid-like and malaria problem anywhere outside Belize City. Then I read elsewhere (not CC) that there is no insect problem at Xunantunich because you are in the mountains. Curious to hear your experience and thoughts. I will be in Belize next month and was going back and forth as to which excursion.

Thank you,

Debbie

I did not have any insect problems at either site. In both cases I had insect repellant with me in case I needed it, but really didn't need it. I was at Lamanai in November and Xunantunich in February. Keep in mind that mosquitos that carry malaria only bite at night, so you shouldn't have to worry about malaria. Mosquitos that carry dengue fever, however, will bite during the day and your only defense against dengue is to avoid bites, so take repellent with you and use it.

I did not have any insect problems at either site. In both cases I had insect repellant with me in case I needed it, but really didn't need it. I was at Lamanai in November and Xunantunich in February. Keep in mind that mosquitos that carry malaria only bite at night, so you shouldn't have to worry about malaria. Mosquitos that carry dengue fever, however, will bite during the day and your only defense against dengue is to avoid bites, so take repellent with you and use it.

I forgot to answer your question about the lunch. We had no problems with the lunch. I would avoid coleslaw however, or any other dishes that have mayo. The only time I've ever gotten sick eating in a 3rd world country was from coleslaw, so I always avoid that. Too easy for mayo to spoil in tropical heat.

I haven't been to Xunantunich but I just got back from seeing Lamanai. We did the Lamanai and the New River Safari.You take a long bus ride without much to look at and then a long boat, which would have been great if it weren't for the rain. It would have been a great excursion if it wasn't pouring rain. It rained the entire time we were on the boat, which made for a terrible boat ride. Cold, rainy and very, very wet. Luckily the rain stopped when we got to Lamanai. Then it started raining again on the boat ride back. Lamanai was amazing and well worth it. Lamanai is the tallest of the Mayan ruins. We didn't get to see much on the river due to the rain but we did see some monkeys while hiking through the rainforest. It was very muddy too. We booked through the ship and the excursion took all day. We just had enough time to stop in one shop and make the last tender back to the ship. The guide was very knowledgeable. The lunch was okay at best. Everything was cold. We actually saw several ruins on this tour. One of the ruins had masks carved in the ruin and they were still working on the ruin. Very interesting stuff. Below are some pictures.

Stop at the first ruin...mask carved in the ruin

0852.jpg

1112.jpg

The tallest ruin described above

136.jpg

Hubby climbed the ruin and took a picture of me below

139.jpg

Lamanai is the tallest of the Mayan ruins.

I just want to point out that Lamanai is not the tallest of the Mayan ruins. It is the 3rd tallest in Belize (Caracol and Xunantunich are both higher) and there are several ruins in Mexico and Guatemala that are higher (Tikal for example is twice as high).

I just want to point out that Lamanai is not the tallest of the Mayan ruins. It is the 3rd tallest in Belize (Caracol and Xunantunich are both higher) and there are several ruins in Mexico and Guatemala that are higher (Tikal for example is twice as high).

Sorry, I guess I was wrong. It is the tallest structure at the Lamanai site and one of the largest preclassic structures in the Maya area as per the sign in front of the ruin as shown in my picture. Guess I didn't read it close enough. It is still an impressive site and very tall. From the river you could just see the top of ruin in the tree tops so it is as tall as that. Tikal is 47 meters high vs Lamanai's 33 meters high.

I also didn't realize there were so many Mayan ruins. I know of the more common ones that are mentioned on here often but I never heard of Tikal or Caracol until you mentioned them!! Thanks for the info as I am definately interested in going on more excursions that explore some of these other ruins. The ruins I did see both in Belize and the smaller one in Costa Maya were well worth the time.

Sorry, I guess I was wrong. It is the tallest structure at the Lamanai site and one of the largest preclassic structures in the Maya area as per the sign in front of the ruin as shown in my picture. Guess I didn't read it close enough. It is still an impressive site and very tall. From the river you could just see the top of ruin in the tree tops so it is as tall as that. Tikal is 47 meters high vs Lamanai's 33 meters high.

Actually, Temple IV in Tikal is 64 meters high. Sorry, I don't mean to keep correcting you but I have seen Lamanai referred to as the highest Mayan ruin on this website several times (you're not the first) and I thought I'd correct it here as it seems to get repeated over and over. You are correct that Lamanai is an impressive site, and like I said before I highly recommend seeing it, even if it is only the 3rd highest Mayan ruin in Belize. ;)

We usually take private tours but for this port I would recommend you do the ships tour.

You have to tender in and the ships tour will tender in first. When we went to Lamanai we were the first off the ship. In port we went strait to our bus and were on our way probably before you would be off the ship with a private tour. During the trip I had peace of mind knowing the ship would wait even if the bus or boat broke down. We got back in time to catch one of the last tenders back to the ship.

Actually, Temple IV in Tikal is 64 meters high. Sorry, I don't mean to keep correcting you but I have seen Lamanai referred to as the highest Mayan ruin on this website several times (you're not the first) and I thought I'd correct it here as it seems to get repeated over and over. You are correct that Lamanai is an impressive site, and like I said before I highly recommend seeing it, even if it is only the 3rd highest Mayan ruin in Belize. ;)

Mmm...I am wrong again I guess but the website I looked at did say Tikal is 47 meters. In my opinion, none of that matters as seeing the Mayan ruins is a great excursion regardless and the trip to Lamanai is one I would do again but as someone else posted I would book through the ship. It did take us all day.

We usually take private tours but for this port I would recommend you do the ships tour.

You have to tender in and the ships tour will tender in first. When we went to Lamanai we were the first off the ship. In port we went strait to our bus and were on our way probably before you would be off the ship with a private tour. During the trip I had peace of mind knowing the ship would wait even if the bus or boat broke down. We got back in time to catch one of the last tenders back to the ship.

We are Diamond C&A members on RC, so we would get priority tender tickets. I think I am safe to take the tour independently. I will take our passports and a credit card, just in case. The tour is 6 hours long, and we will be in port from 7:00AM until 5:00PM. If we should miss the ship, it will add to our adventure in Belize! We will be prepared. The tour operators are very aware of the time constraints the ships follow. We are willing to take the risk. Looking forward to going to Lamanai after hearing all the great experiences and seeing the great photos taken there. Thanks all! :D

Hi. We're on NCL Spirit in February and are thinking of going to Lamannai for the shore excursion there. Just wondering how long/how far the walk is from the river boat to the actual site of the ruins? Is it a difficult walk? Strenuous? Can you go at your own pace? Thanks! Kate (first time cruising!)

The boat docks right at the ruins. The walking is not that bad unless you do the last temple after the one you can climb. Its mainly to see a large head which is alright but for some the walk there wouln't be worth it. Knowing the path to the last temple I would do it again but my wife wouldn't. When they leave to go to the last temple you can stay and look at the other temples and a museum. Those who go down the path will come back the same way to where you stay.

Thanks, jcjky! This is a gift to my husband (age 62) who is retiring in January. He has severe arthritis in his knee but is able to walk several city blocks (such as in Chicago) without a cane or other assistive device so it sounds like it should be a doable excursion for us.

Neither of us like heights so we probably won't climb the ruins. but it sounds like a fascinating site and we'd really like to see it!

Thanks again! Enjoy your next cruise!

Kate

Just the trip there makes it worth it. Just inform your guide that you do not want to take the trail to see the stone mask. It was a relaxed tour at the ruins no rushing at all.

It is a large site but most is still covered by jungle you should even see monkeys.

On our excursion through Royal Caribbean we went to the farthest ruin first and we all went as a group. The hike wasn't bad but muddy. Mostly flat ground but there were rocks and roots to watch for. Some spots were slick due to everything being wet from the rain. We had one or two with canes that were able to do it without much trouble and one lady was even wearing sandals with a medium heel!!

I forgot to answer your question about the lunch. We had no problems with the lunch. I would avoid coleslaw however, or any other dishes that have mayo. The only time I've ever gotten sick eating in a 3rd world country was from coleslaw, so I always avoid that. Too easy for mayo to spoil in tropical heat.

Thanks so much for the info

Archived