Car Rental in Cozumel

bubbachief

mdrobtx - would you or anyone else know the address to the Alamo at the Puerto maya Pier? I tried to book through the 800 # but they are not sure which Alamo is located at that pier and I don't want to book at the wrong one.

I tried to send them an email and I I got 1 response but when I emailed back with some additional questions I still have not heard back from them.

Thank you! :)

Jessie

I just went to their website: https://www.alamo.com/

Then clicked on "find location". click on mexico. Cozumel, and the Puerta Maya pier location and address will come up. I booked it right there, received a confirmation email and then two more emails the week before we left letting me know I had a reservation.

Or if this link comes up,

https://www.alamo.com/locSearch.do

You can check rates.

Puerta Maya Carnival Cruise Dock (CZMP71)

Pickup Location

Puerta Maya Carnival Cruise Dock

Muella Puerta Maya Local 13 F

Carretera Costera Sur Km 4.5 Int

Cozumel-quintana Roo , 77600

MX

Phone: (52)987-872-1196 Fax: (52)987-872-4696

Hours: Mon-Sat: 07:00 am 06:00 pm

check_rates.gif

Don't rent a scooter - too many accidents and even fatalities with them. You will see several locals using them, but I don't think it is a good idea for tourists who aren't use to the local driving.

Dahhhhhhhhh!!! There were cruise passengers on scooters all over the place last week and we've rented them before also. If you go south from the piers and head around the east coast theres very little traffic and a hell of a lot better scenery.

You can have an accident on a scooter anywhere, anytime. Not just Cozumel.

• 2 weeks later...
I was just looking at Avis online (have a discount code for them) and I saw three insurances listed: Loss Damage Waiver ($23), Personal Accident Insurance ($3.99) and Additional Liability ($11.99.) Do I want all of these?

Ericalea - I would be curious to see what others that have rented there say. It's usually best to be on the safe side when renting in another country. I know when I called one of the fees is mandatory in Cozumel (not sure which one). I didn't select any of the additional coverages when I booked and figured I could just do that when I get there an find out what they all are and what's required.

Jessie

• 3 years later...

I have been to Cozumel and it is a very nice place to visit. Unfortunately for us we rented with Alamo at the Carnival pier. Big mistake. I've rented autos internationally and never had an experience like this. We went with alamo as it is a name I know but be careful. I checked the auto with the person that hands over the auto. I did find a dent in the trunk and pointed it out to the person and he wrote it down I did a good check of the whole vehicle. I did not know to check for normal wear on the plastic hub cap. You can go around the island in just an hour and see a lot. So we were with the car less than 3 hours and decided to return it and walk around. I leave it with the inspector, all is good and as I walk back to the office he radios in that there is damage on the hub cap which I know I did not do. Also, it is obvious it is wear from probably them using high pressure washers, it was very minimal,but the point is I know I did not do it as I did not drive through any paved roads, the tires have no markings as if I had hit something, and it was not scratched but worn off. Also, I did not go into any parking lots, I would stop on side of road and just stand by the car and look around. If I had damaged it, I would have gladly paid it and moved on my way but I know they do this to get extra from renters who have to leave. First they wanted to charge us for all the hib caps which was like $32, then they went down to 1 hub cap for 16.95, not sure how that is a 1/4. Again, it's not the matter of money, we spent more than that on a drink. We called the port security who confirmed that this was not new and not due to any damage we could have done. The port Security asked them if they can go lower, they went down to $12, which I was still not letting up. The we called the police and they said that it needed to be taken to the civil judge but that they would need to take the auto. We wanted to make it hard for them but they refused to take the auto and the police told them that the judge would demand they bring the auto in and they said they are not allowed to take them off the lot. Well we knew we would miss the boat at this point, we had already argued for about 2 hours and quite frankly with all the stories you hear about the police in these countries I was a little worried. Also, they said they don't care what the judge decided, they already have my credit card info and they will charge whatever they want just the same. I can't wait to see what they really charge me. But it was a lie after another. When the police came the inspector said he pointed out the damage on the trunk when he knew I had pointed it out and had told the security that I told him about it. They said they needed to buy a whole new set of hub caps to replace them and then said later they have more in stock. They also said that they charge for all damages to repair them and keep the cars looking new, then why did mine still have damage in the trunk and other hub caps had similar or worse damage. SO I hope that my 2 hours spent with them would help someone else to be ware of these charlatans and Alamo should do something when others use their name like that. If you Google this particular agency, you will find that there have been worse situations than ours. Seems like there is another rental agency that has had good reviews they are called "less expensive", I should have done some homework but I went with a name I knew and thought I would be OK. Besides that the people of Cozumel were very friendly elsewhere. it's a shame they allow this to happen.

• 1 year later...
I have been to Cozumel and it is a very nice place to visit. Unfortunately for us we rented with Alamo at the Carnival pier. Big mistake. I've rented autos internationally and never had an experience like this. We went with alamo as it is a name I know but be careful. I checked the auto with the person that hands over the auto. I did find a dent in the trunk and pointed it out to the person and he wrote it down I did a good check of the whole vehicle. I did not know to check for normal wear on the plastic hub cap. You can go around the island in just an hour and see a lot. So we were with the car less than 3 hours and decided to return it and walk around. I leave it with the inspector, all is good and as I walk back to the office he radios in that there is damage on the hub cap which I know I did not do. Also, it is obvious it is wear from probably them using high pressure washers, it was very minimal,but the point is I know I did not do it as I did not drive through any paved roads, the tires have no markings as if I had hit something, and it was not scratched but worn off. Also, I did not go into any parking lots, I would stop on side of road and just stand by the car and look around. If I had damaged it, I would have gladly paid it and moved on my way but I know they do this to get extra from renters who have to leave. First they wanted to charge us for all the hib caps which was like $32, then they went down to 1 hub cap for 16.95, not sure how that is a 1/4. Again, it's not the matter of money, we spent more than that on a drink. We called the port security who confirmed that this was not new and not due to any damage we could have done. The port Security asked them if they can go lower, they went down to $12, which I was still not letting up. The we called the police and they said that it needed to be taken to the civil judge but that they would need to take the auto. We wanted to make it hard for them but they refused to take the auto and the police told them that the judge would demand they bring the auto in and they said they are not allowed to take them off the lot. Well we knew we would miss the boat at this point, we had already argued for about 2 hours and quite frankly with all the stories you hear about the police in these countries I was a little worried. Also, they said they don't care what the judge decided, they already have my credit card info and they will charge whatever they want just the same. I can't wait to see what they really charge me. But it was a lie after another. When the police came the inspector said he pointed out the damage on the trunk when he knew I had pointed it out and had told the security that I told him about it. They said they needed to buy a whole new set of hub caps to replace them and then said later they have more in stock. They also said that they charge for all damages to repair them and keep the cars looking new, then why did mine still have damage in the trunk and other hub caps had similar or worse damage. SO I hope that my 2 hours spent with them would help someone else to be ware of these charlatans and Alamo should do something when others use their name like that. If you Google this particular agency, you will find that there have been worse situations than ours. Seems like there is another rental agency that has had good reviews they are called "less expensive", I should have done some homework but I went with a name I knew and thought I would be OK. Besides that the people of Cozumel were very friendly elsewhere. it's a shame they allow this to happen.

Did you have the insurance?