Sandy Bay area St thomas

camarodrivenrs

Does anyone ever go to the Sandy Bay area? I've just been looking at google earth and it looks like a really cool beach/land bridge there, but i cant really find any other info. Its located at the western end of the island right next to Botany bay and at least on google earth its called Sandy Bay.

If this is the beach I have been to on the "North End" it is a small black sand beach, very rough area (rocks, wash outs on road when road exists), not a real road down to the water and very much "not for tourists". The North End of the Island is very different, cooler, vegitation is different, almost 100% residential.

You will find that the reason beaches like Coki, Magens etc. are mentioned so often is that they are the best beaches on the Island for locals and tourists as well. The East end beaches have the facilities and transportation geared to the tourist to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable. Magens, although not East end, is set up for all to enjoy.:)

B.

Think we are looking at different beaches and I know those beaches are for tourists but I've been to them and I'm more the adventure type. Its about 5+/-1 mile west of the airport. I agree that it looks more residential but looks like Route 30 runs or branches off all the way to the west end. Any idea what Im talking about?

Sandy Bay and Botany Bay are the on the westernmost point of St. Thomas. The area has been in the process of being developed for a couple years now for a high end residential/vacation area called Botany Bay Preserve. Their website is http://www.thepreserveatbotanybay.com. Prior to the development project there were (and still are) 2-3 private residences and their road was a simple two paved slabs type road. The development has added roads and some of the previous roads are still there. That said the roads are all private. In the construction permit process however a stipulation that public access by land had to be allowed was included. This access is on foot only. You have to park outside the gate house, check/sign in with the security at the gate house and then walk to the beach. Maybe 1.5 mile walk. Not flat but not super steep - more of a gradual descent; you definitely notice it when coming back up. If construction work is going on they can prevent entrance if they feel the construction creates a dangerous situation for people to be walking through. Beautiful property and area.

Betsy's mom remembering the beach as rocky is possible because during part of the year, due to waves/ocean currents, a lot of the sand gets moved around causing the beach to be rockier. However the description with the washed out dirt road, rocky & dark sand and located on the north side of the island sounds more like Caret Bay. Or maybe Neltjeberg - not a rocky shore but it is a darker grey sand and the dirt road is typically washed out. More west-north-west, there is also Stumpy which has a dirt road and a partially rocky/sandy shore.

--Islander

http://www.thepreserveatbotanybay.com/sitepages/pid159.php

I'd really appreciate it if one of you could look at that map and tell me what you know about the beach directly to the east of the perserve, looks like there is a road that goes right to the end. So you are basically free to walk any of this as long as there is no construction dangers?

The whole map is the Preserve so not sure what beach you are asking about when you say 'east of the preserve'? You mentioned a road that looks like it goes to the end - are you talking about the light green colored peice over on the left side of the map?

--Islander

The whole map is the Preserve so not sure what beach you are asking about when you say 'east of the preserve'? You mentioned a road that looks like it goes to the end - are you talking about the light green colored peice over on the left side of the map?

--Islander

Gotcha, yeah thats the beach im talking about. Thought the lighter color meant it was seperate. But yeah thats where I want to go.

The little piece that looks like a small island connected by a sand/land bridge is called Little St. Thomas. It is supposed to be under The Nature Conservancy along with maybe a bit more of the light green - an agreement the Botany Preserve made when development negotiations were going on. There was a lot of opposition to the project as a whole. Anyway the little sand/land bridge/beach is called Mermaids Chair. The side facing Sandy Bay and Botany Bay is rocky in the water. The other side is largely sandy in the water and you can swim there.

As for your access question - It does not include walking around the whole property; it includes walking from the property entrance to the beach areas at Sandy Bay and Mermaids Chair only. And again on foot only, have to sign in at the guard station.

--Islander

Parking: There isn't a parking lot outside the entrance so you have to park on the side of the entrance - off to the side close to the dirt as much as possiable. Would try that first. Otherwise you can park on the side of the actual main public road - pull off as much as possiable so you aren't blocking the road or sticking out into the road. In either case a spot that is in visiable range of the guard station should be fine but of course the guard isn't there to guard people's cars outside the development - so it is at your own risk.

--Islander

Archived