Atlantica Experiences and info PLEASE!!

Romantic

Im interested in knowing about peoples experiences on the Atlantica. My sister and I are thinking about booking a Eastern Caribbean cruise, on Costa, because we heard that its a really fun-loving ship...but we've also heard such bad things too. We are not really interested in the ports. We are more social, wanting to get to know what life aboard the ship itself is like with all the people and activities.

What is there to do at night besides eat? :) Are the pools open for a 3am hot tubbing or swim session?

Is there a "quiet/bed time" on the ship, or can you roam wherever all night if you want?

Is the smoke really that bad?

Is there any outdoor seating for @ the Club Atlantica or Tiziano?

How late/ Early is the gym open? And does it cost to use the facilities?

Do they really charge you for a glass of water in the main restaurant? I thought you got free beverages with your regular meals.

Is there a cut off time for serving alcohol, or can i actually have a glass of bubbly at 2:30am on deck while watching the stars and waves?

Just got off the ship; went on the 1/2/05 cruise.

No smoking is not bad.

One Hot Tub was open late, they have-to clean others.

No the gym is free.

Water is free during dinner; they brought ice-tea as well. We ordered the wine pkg. before leaving. (Costcruises.co,) It was only 80.00--6 bottles of wine and 10 waters. Good deal.!!!

Wine per bottle on ship is 19-20.00 starting price.

Have a great time!!!!!!!!! Always something to eat at mid-night. Food is better than carnival.

Ship is ID to the Carnival Spirit.

Any more questions??? Let me know. Go you'll have fun.

Thank you! Ill have to remember about the wine package...can they have it sent to your room? Do the drink cards/coupons have an expiration date? Could I use someone elses from a cruise a year ago do you think?

Thats too bad about the pools at night though. At least I know that its clean water the next day! What did you think about the floating staircase over the Atrium? It sounds so beautiful!

Are the classes/activities during the free? Like dancing, cooking, arts/crafts, etc.? Im trying to figure out how much money I potentially may spend on this, so I dont over do it. I emailed the website, but havent gotten a response, and I don't really feel like calling. I prefer to talk to those who have experienced it!! :)

"but we've also heard such bad things too"

Romantic.......One thing I've gleened off the review boards is either people are completely satisfied with Costa and had a fabulous time or they absolutely hated it.

Seems black and white..... no shades of gray. :cool:

This is our first Costa cruise. We have sailed on NCL and Princess in the past. Each was great in its own way, each was no so great. Things didn't ruin my vacation, I just adapted to the ship's unique culture.

I don't expect the moon and I don't expect to be treated like Donald Trump. Unfortunately that is what many expect from a cruise.

You will indeed get out of it what YOU get out of it. For every person who boards a ship will have their own unique experience. I have to disagree with the earlier statement that was made by a respondent that all the Atlantica reviews are black or white. We enjoyed some things, but disliked others. You will not find the Atlantica to be a party boat or even one of the more active ships. It's a tasteful, clean, and elegant ship with a somewhat older passenger list than say Carnival. Not many kids aboard, and they do tend to roll up the sidewalks after midnight. Sail with an open mind and see what you think for yourself. ;)

They give you coupons; you may have it anywhere on ship. If you can't drink it all they told us you may take the bottles home. You can try to use coupons form another sailing. We purchased pop in Key West and took it on board.

Most classes are free, except yoga first thing in the morning.

Four Ports in seven days is a busy and fun; we spent most at the ports.

Toga night is fun :) I went to the dollar store before the cruise and purchased gold items to wears w/ the toga. We were a hit!

Happy planning!!!!1111

I too had a great time on the atlantica. The ship is beautiful and there is plenty to see about it's decor. The floating staircase is really cool, a litte scary at first, but you can't leave the ship without trying it , it is a must-do.

Toga night was one of the highlights. Plan ahead and bring a costume. Don't think you will be the only one, when I went, about 60% of the ship was in togas.

Like most of the comments to your question, some things were better than other cruise lines, some worse, but you will have a great and memorable time if you set your mind to it.

I was a little dissapointed that thing on the outside decks close up in the late evening/early morning, but no loss there, I was too exhausted by the end of the day I only made the midnight buffett once.

Non-Alchoholic drink coupons were a great bargain. $35 for 20 coupons and can be used not only for soft drinks but for virgin versions of other popular bar drinks.

Water, pineapple jouice, tea and orange juice flowed free from the fountains most of the day, sometime you had to find one that was on, but there was always one available. All were on during meal times.

As for buying booze in the ports, they do check your bags and you surrender alchohol purchases until the end of the cruise. I did "sneak" a bottle on board and mixed my own drinks in the cabin. Best bet would be to put one in your packed luggage before boarding.

Smoke was not so bad, only noticable in the main atrium, dining hall was smoke free.

Have fun and report back when you return.

bob

• 2 weeks later...
Im interested in knowing about peoples experiences on the Atlantica. My sister and I are thinking about booking a Eastern Caribbean cruise, on Costa, because we heard that its a really fun-loving ship...but we've also heard such bad things too. We are not really interested in the ports. We are more social, wanting to get to know what life aboard the ship itself is like with all the people and activities.

What is there to do at night besides eat? :) Are the pools open for a 3am hot tubbing or swim session?

THERE ARE ALOT OF THINGS TO DO.....DAILY THEY WILL GIVE YOU A TODAY PROGRAM THAT WILL EXPLAIN WHAT THE EVENTS FOR THE FOLLOWING DAY ARE.

Is there a "quiet/bed time" on the ship, or can you roam wherever all night if you want? YOU CAN NEVER SLEEP......IT IS YOUR CHOICE!

s the smoke really that bad? DEPENDS WHERE YOU GO......LOUNGES YES

Is there any outdoor seating for @ the Club Atlantica or Tiziano?

NO

How late/ Early is the gym open? And does it cost to use the facilities?

NO FEE.......24 HOURS A DAY

Do they really charge you for a glass of water in the main restaurant? I thought you got free beverages with your regular meals. NO.....TEA IS FREE TOO

Is there a cut off time for serving alcohol, or can i actually have a glass of bubbly at 2:30am on deck while watching the stars and waves?

LAST BAR CLOSES AT 3AM

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from the Jan 23rd Eastern ATlantica cruise; We had an absolutely wonderful time!!! Most fun we ever had on a cruise. The ports were not the best, but the ship and activities were so great that the ports were just part of the experience.

Archived