Required Identification for Children

beckaroo

DS, who is now as addicted to cruising as I am, has been on 3 weekend cruises (NCL, HAL) and 2 real cruises (Carnival, NCL), and passport has always been enough. I bring a birth certificate too out of an abundance of caution, in case for some reason I have to prove we're his parents, but I have never been asked to show it (at airports or when embarking on a cruise, or when driving over the border between the US and Canada for that matter), just the passport.

Enjoy your cruise!

For those of you who travel with young children and passports, have you ever gotten slowed down or detained due to an old picture?

My daughter got her passport at 6 weeks old, she's now almost three. We were stopped and questioned in China for about 10 minutes (was asked to provide a birth certificate and other stuff as well!) because obviously the child with me looks nothing like the six week old in the photo!?

Other countries will usually just look at the picture and either laugh or roll their eyes, but let us through no problem. My daughter is my own and very 'American' looking, so it's not like a weird adoption or stealing a chinese baby type thing.

Have any of you requested a new passport before the other one expired? Or claimed it to be 'lost' to get another one? We travel a lot, and I don't want this to keep being a problem for two more years!

I had gotten Passports for each of my grandkids when they were born. (Well, I sent the money to their parents to get them!). The family flew to Cabo a few months ago for a friend's wedding, and there were some questions about the 2 1/2 year olds' Passport with her baby picture on it, at age 6 weeks. The main concern was that she was born with a mass of black hair which has since turned very blonde. Her Mom had also brought along a BC, but wasn't asked for it. Children's Passports have to be renewed every 5 years until they're 16 to accomodate the growth. I don't think it's necessary to have then renewed earlier than that. Enjoy your cruise!

Archived